HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Siege

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Spawny

Spawny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted November 12 2012 - 06:03 AM

Hey everyone,

I want to talk about the Siege game mode and what my thoughts are. I always love the "siege" concept in games (I have played mount and blade: warband c-rpg for over 2 years, playing siege mode only) and it's the only game mode I've really enjoyed so far (apart maybe from the occasional missile game).
It forces teamwork and creates the need for new game tactics. It still has some flaws though.

- Teamwork (lack of)
I've been in only 2-3 matches where my team would actually work as a team and only 2 with people using voice comm. In 2 matches the other team seemed to do the same, resulting in > 1 hours matches. Awesome fun. Other matches, people act like idiots, going somewhere on their own, not responding to teamchat, etc. I hope this will change in open beta, or that we can get "group join"/"clan channels" or something.

- Basic understanding
The important things you need to do/remember in siege games is what a lot of players don't seem to know. Since there's no "siege tactics primer" around, only time can change that, as people learn how it works.
It's just frustrating to me, that when I'm running around in my EU capacity specced a-class, there's 3 people trying to load up energy at the same time. Have 1 or 2 dedicated EU collectors and let the rest defend the EU spots.

- Snipers
Especially the titan map, there's a lot of places for snipers to hide. High places, giving you a clear shot over most of the contested area. Being in an A-class, it's annoying to jump around platforms and getting hit by a sabot/slug combo. I'm left with ~150 armour, have to repair and when I pop up again, there's a good chance I get shot again. Snipers who know what they're doing are even worse. They actually kill loads of people instead of being annoying.

- EU gauche for the battle ship
This thing is so annoying. Sometimes it shows you need 100 more energy, I load up 110 to be safe and by the time I get to the base, it needs 111. AAAHH!!!

- Random thoughts
The current speeddifference between A-class and B-class mechs doesn't justify the higher armour on B-classes. It's very hard for me to flee from a B-class (even when specced mostly into mobility), yet they have 30% more armour. Right now, there's no defining niche/role for A-class mechs.

I hope to see the Siege game evolve into a game mode where we actually have to siege something. 1 Attacking team and 1 defending team. That would make it even better. As it is, it's more a complicated King-of-the-hill game mode. (Capture and hold EU points, capture and hold AA site).

Anyway, these are my thoughts/experiences so far. Feel free to comment and enlighten me :)
Alpha 2 B-Class Bruiser
Closed Beta 1 C-Class Brawler
Closed Beta 2 A-Class Berzerker
Closed Beta 3 A-Class Scout

#2 DDwarrior

DDwarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted November 12 2012 - 06:25 AM

- EU gauche for the battle ship
This thing is so annoying. Sometimes it shows you need 100 more energy, I load up 110 to be safe and by the time I get to the base, it needs 111. AAAHH!!!

Wow, so I wasn't just imagining things.  I felt embarrassed because here I was calling out directions for my team and I tell them to go to AA as I return with the energy.  Then somewhere in the transtition it's not enough_!  wtf_ Bug_
When I've launched onto the battlefield, torn my enemies to shreds.  I stride through the field and listen, I see a ping.  I quietly take my time moving into position, it pings.  I see him...but he doesn't see me.  That feeling of making someone feel defenseless in that moment.  It is glorious!

"I5-2400 3.3Ghz, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz, MSI 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660Ti, COOLER MASTER HAF 912, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, LSP 750 PRO,  500GB Sata 6GB"

#3 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 06:31 AM

I think whenever someone on your team dies the EU required goes up by 10.
Desert Fox

#4 ConsterMonster

ConsterMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 06:44 AM

A tip i would offer is to take boosters and go down mostly mobility tree instead of taking extra eu capacity (for a-mech at least.) Its quite easily possible to regularly get highest EU returned this way as one trip with 1st half of tank filled at optimum, 2nd half at slow in c-mech is same as 2 trips full tank at optimum, seeing as by the time you get back the tree has recharged.

also, during the fight over the aa is one of the most important opportunities to pick up eu anyway, which a little mech will generally have an advantage in boosting to eu, and then dashing back

#5 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 12 2012 - 06:45 AM

View Postz121231211, on November 12 2012 - 06:31 AM, said:

I'm pretty confident that this is correct.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#6 Spawny

Spawny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted November 12 2012 - 07:33 AM

View PostFrenotx, on November 12 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

I'm pretty confident that this is correct.

Ah, makes sense. I allready started to take more EU than required, just to be on the safe side.

View PostConsterMonster, on November 12 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

A tip i would offer is to take boosters and go down mostly mobility tree instead of taking extra eu capacity (for a-mech at least.) Its quite easily possible to regularly get highest EU returned this way as one trip with 1st half of tank filled at optimum, 2nd half at slow in c-mech is same as 2 trips full tank at optimum, seeing as by the time you get back the tree has recharged.

also, during the fight over the aa is one of the most important opportunities to pick up eu anyway, which a little mech will generally have an advantage in boosting to eu, and then dashing back

I'm allready mobility specced. Taking the EU cannisters and the upgrade in mob tree gives me 270 EU capacity on a fast A-class. Quite nice. Although I do agree it takes so much time to fuel it up.
Might try it with the boosters to see if the decreased EU capacity hurts.
Alpha 2 B-Class Bruiser
Closed Beta 1 C-Class Brawler
Closed Beta 2 A-Class Berzerker
Closed Beta 3 A-Class Scout

#7 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 12 2012 - 08:59 AM

This is absolutely correct (although it's actually on respawn, not on death I think), which is why it's never a bad idea to get 20-30 more energy than you actually "need."

Edited by DarkPulse, November 12 2012 - 09:13 AM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users