HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How to: View In Game FPS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Saer

Saer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 12 2012 - 08:33 PM

Just a heads up for those that want to view their fps while in game, it also shows your current MS.

Press F5 and type "stat fps"

Happy gaming everyone :)

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 12 2012 - 09:49 PM

Actually, that ms count is not your in-game ping. Here's a curious little tidbit of information.

While most players refer to frame rates as frames per second, it's common (but not universal) for the game designers, at least the graphics engine crew, to measure frame rates in the time it takes to render a frame, since that is far more accurate a measure than X per second. That number is what is being displayed.

As an example, I took a screenshot (using F9) of one of my mechs in my garage. As the garage is a pretty chill place, and I tweaked my settings down to practically zero quality, I was getting 109.28fps, or 9.15ms/frame. Doing the math works out to:

1 second / 109.28 frames = 0.0091508 seconds per frame.

Your ping and other network statistics are contained under the console command "stat net" ...which is currently disabled.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 13 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostElix, on November 12 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Actually, that ms count is not your in-game ping. Here's a curious little tidbit of information.

While most players refer to frame rates as frames per second, it's common (but not universal) for the game designers, at least the graphics engine crew, to measure frame rates in the time it takes to render a frame, since that is far more accurate a measure than X per second. That number is what is being displayed.

As an example, I took a screenshot (using F9) of one of my mechs in my garage. As the garage is a pretty chill place, and I tweaked my settings down to practically zero quality, I was getting 109.28fps, or 9.15ms/frame. Doing the math works out to:

1 second / 109.28 frames = 0.0091508 seconds per frame.

Your ping and other network statistics are contained under the console command "stat net" ...which is currently disabled.
Considering the player typed stat fps, you'd expect it'd be ms to render a frame.

If you want your network info, you're also correct that it would be stat net. Shame that it is indeed disabled. :(

Edited by DarkPulse, November 13 2012 - 09:09 AM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users