HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

For all people planning on using a joystick

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 NEWSH

NEWSH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:24 PM

Since this is a mech game, i believe that some people like me, would want to use a joystick. using a joystick is very easy. all you need to do is download the software that comes with the stick and configure it to each individual game. unfortunately, This is also a first person shooter game. that means that the player will have to look around. this is a problem because it is impossible to assign any of the movements/sticks on any joystick to the mouse axis. that means that you will not be able to look around. I came up with the idea that the producers of hawken could put the arrow keys as look around so that all people out there with joysicks can assign the motions of the stick to the arrow keys, allowing them to look around. thank you so much for reading this and please!, PLEASE! put this in the game.. thank you

NEWSH

#2 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:36 PM

Double joystick anyone_
1 to look
1 to move.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#3 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:38 PM

Well, there's this.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#4 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:05 PM

I posted a question about adding controller support, too, since I'm a fan of using a 360 controller with my PC (esp in racing games and Mechwarrior 4). I hope this topic gets attention for the final release.

Edited by Ace4225, November 14 2012 - 09:06 PM.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#5 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:27 PM

View Posth0B0, on November 14 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Double joystick anyone_
1 to look
1 to move.

That just sounds awful IMHO. People do it because they think that a real cockpit would have two joysticks. In a real cockpit 1 wouldn't be for just looking and the other for moving, making it almost redundant to try to simulate it that way. Oh how I want to make a cockpit chair so bad but there are no true mech sims out yet. :( I'm sure people do enjoy it still but to me it just wouldn't make sense to hold it that way.

Posted Image

#6 NEWSH

NEWSH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 12:18 PM

i also use an xbox controller on pc

#7 NEWSH

NEWSH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostDeu, on November 14 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

View Posth0B0, on November 14 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Double joystick anyone_
1 to look
1 to move.

That just sounds awful IMHO. People do it because they think that a real cockpit would have two joysticks. In a real cockpit 1 wouldn't be for just looking and the other for moving, making it almost redundant to try to simulate it that way. Oh how I want to make a cockpit chair so bad but there are no true mech sims out yet. :( I'm sure people do enjoy it still but to me it just wouldn't make sense to hold it that way.
I am talking about a regular flight joystick

#8 Gagzila

Gagzila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVIC, Australia

Posted November 15 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostNEWSH, on November 14 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Since this is a mech game, i believe that some people like me, would want to use a joystick. using a joystick is very easy. all you need to do is download the software that comes with the stick and configure it to each individual game. unfortunately, This is also a first person shooter game. that means that the player will have to look around. this is a problem because it is impossible to assign any of the movements/sticks on any joystick to the mouse axis. that means that you will not be able to look around. I came up with the idea that the producers of hawken could put the arrow keys as look around so that all people out there with joysicks can assign the motions of the stick to the arrow keys, allowing them to look around. thank you so much for reading this and please!, PLEASE! put this in the game.. thank you

NEWSH

If you are using a standard joystick, you would have it replace the mouse in using it to look around. The other controls remain the same, so WASD to move around, boost, etc. Map your primary weapon fire to the trigger and your secondary weapon fire to the main thumb trigger. If you have more buttons on top, these can be used to launch your 3 special items.

That's the standard way you would use a joystick in a mech game anyway, to control your X and Y viewing axis's that your mouse normally does as it's to clunky for controlling actual movement and trying to look around using the keyboard will put you at a severe reaction and accuracy disadvantage.

The MEK FU is a dual joystick controller being built for Hawken and will be awesome to play with but will not be ultra competitive as the usual keyboard and mouse combo will.

Cheers,

Gagzila
Posted Image

#9 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted November 15 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostGagzila, on November 15 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

NEWSH

If you are using a standard joystick, you would have it replace the mouse in using it to look around. The other controls remain the same, so WASD to move around, boost, etc. Map your primary weapon fire to the trigger and your secondary weapon fire to the main thumb trigger. If you have more buttons on top, these can be used to launch your 3 special items.

That's the standard way you would use a joystick in a mech game anyway, to control your X and Y viewing axis's that your mouse normally does as it's to clunky for controlling actual movement and trying to look around using the keyboard will put you at a severe reaction and accuracy disadvantage.

The MEK FU is a dual joystick controller being built for Hawken and will be awesome to play with but will not be ultra competitive as the usual keyboard and mouse combo will.

Cheers,

Gagzila

I would agree, the mech-fu would be fun but too cumbersome to be competitive

because bow ties are cool

#10 FUZZY DUNLOP

FUZZY DUNLOP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted November 19 2012 - 10:19 AM

@deu

You're not "looking around", you're aiming and reorienting your mech.  Adding a look feature would be something done with track IR or oculus. In a "real" mech you would have to have a control for movement and a control for target acquisition and aiming dumb fire weapons.

Personally I would love to use a joystick just so i have a more comfortable way to use missiles and items and the Heat Gun. Nothing throws your aim off more than having to hold a mouse button then release it at the right time. And since hawken already limits the player's movement it only makes more sense to use a joystick. You can't really twitch past 90 degrees with a fast mouse flick like other shooters. This is the perfect game to get people back into using joysticks and cool perhiperals

#11 FUZZY DUNLOP

FUZZY DUNLOP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted November 19 2012 - 10:24 AM

Also i have to strongly disagree with people saying that joysticks won't be competitive. It's all going to be a matter of getting used to one over the other. And the reason for this is, unlike every other shooter where sensitivity matters, it doesn't matter in Hawken. Mouse always holds an advantage over sticks in a regular FPS because your aiming speed is always as fast as you can move your mouse. Get used to it and you can instantly do a 180 or quick 90 degree shot.

You can't do that in hawken because the mech's mobility is limited. The same people who top the kill charts will still top them while they're using dual joysticks or whatever. The difference is that they will be even more obnoxious with their multi shot he charge, TOW combos.

#12 CreoOne

CreoOne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 20 2012 - 03:07 PM

2x Cyborg F.L.Y 5 Flight Stick + custom driver
Like a boss.

#13 Adreni

Adreni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 06:06 PM

unfortunately, This is also a first person shooter game. that means that the player will have to look around. this is a problem because it is impossible to assign any of the movements/sticks on any joystick to the mouse axis. that means that you will not be able to look around.
What_ My Saitek devices work just fine.

#14 Machineabuse

Machineabuse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 06:47 PM

I want that joystick but only if the left stick can be set up as a collective for flying helos.

#15 VertoPrime

VertoPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHawaii (Oahu) USA

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:02 AM

What I like about Hawken is you don't need a joy stick...it is not your every day mechwarrior where you need one.  It keeps the learning curve low for those who have no stick.
Posted Image
Win7 Home Premium 64bit, AMD Athlon ™ II X4 620 2.60 GHz, 6GB ram, Geforce GTX550 Ti 2gb

#16 The_Warnock

The_Warnock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationProbably looking the wrong way.

Posted November 21 2012 - 09:28 AM

To be fair, MW:O doesn't need one, although I wish I had a bigger desk so I'd have room for one. (Not enough room for a mouse, keyboard, and a joystick right now.)

As for looking around, I think you could map that to a hatswitch.

#17 Target_Drone

Target_Drone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted November 22 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostFUZZY DUNLOP, on November 19 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

@deu

You're not "looking around", you're aiming and reorienting your mech.  Adding a look feature would be something done with track IR or oculus. In a "real" mech you would have to have a control for movement and a control for target acquisition and aiming dumb fire weapons.

Personally I would love to use a joystick just so i have a more comfortable way to use missiles and items and the Heat Gun. Nothing throws your aim off more than having to hold a mouse button then release it at the right time. And since hawken already limits the player's movement it only makes more sense to use a joystick. You can't really twitch past 90 degrees with a fast mouse flick like other shooters. This is the perfect game to get people back into using joysticks and cool perhiperals

I have a "Track IR" head tracker for my flight based games (IL-2 and Wings of Prey) and would be very happy if I could use it on this game too (talk about realism, nothing beats turning your head to look around).

I have already given up on one Mech game because it didn't support pc-type joysticks, and hope that this Mech game doesn't lose my interest due to not supporting such a simple input device.

Edited by Target_Drone, November 23 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#18 nonsiccus

nonsiccus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 23 2012 - 11:55 AM

View PostDeu, on November 14 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

http://www.freepaten...194-0-large.jpg

This is from an excavator. Something that exists in the real world.
EOC Infiltrator

#hawkenscrim @ irc.quakenet.org - find ringers and scrims at the competitive level

http://youtube.com/vrts for gameplay footage

#19 Grafix

Grafix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBehind Evolwar and SS396 stealing thier Kills

Posted November 25 2012 - 05:44 PM

Guess you guys have not seen the original Virtual World BattleTech Pods and the new Updated Virtual World BattleTech Tesla Pods... see attached

Attached Thumbnails

• tesla-01.jpg
  • orig-battlepod-01.jpg
  • orig-battlepod-03.jpg
  • orig-battlepod-02.jpg
  • tesla-02.jpg
  • tesla-03.JPG

Grafix™  
Inner Sphere Wars Developer and BattleMech Hanger Developer - Hawken Beta Tester: C-BETA 1, C-BETA 2, C-BETA 3, Open BETA    
System Specs: Win7 64 Bit, AMD 6 Core 3.3ghz, 16Gig DDR3 RAM, Liquid Cooled, 2x Dual DVI Nividia GTX 560 2gig video cards for Quad Monitor usage during 3D Graphical projects.  Currently only use 1 monitor for Hawken.

#20 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 25 2012 - 06:41 PM

Use JoytoKey
Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users