HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Potential idea for respawn system - Ejector seat!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 27 2011 - 02:56 PM

So, hear me out on this one;
If this game will end up with a more "respawning" sort of gameplay, in which people come back some time after getting killed, how about the following idea:

Make the mech have an ejector seat! If you don't bail out on time, you'll suffer 2.5X the downtime, or something similar. Naturally, bailing out too soon will mean the mech's destroyed, and it would be pretty cowardly, too!
Also, if the mech's systems get fried, or it takes critical damage, there'll be a chance the ejector seat would malfunction. I think it could create some pretty awesome, tense moments.

The players would have to really think about it beforehand, and won't be able to abuse it.

Opinions_

#2 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:17 PM

So like 'action reload' but for respawns_

But where does your little person go_
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#3 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:31 PM

Aether said:

So like 'action reload' but for respawns_
I totally thought of that too. I think your idea is just dandy Jack :D. It offers an intuitive feedback system that can feel pretty satisfying when you time it just right, allowing you to get right back into the action.

#4 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:37 PM

i definitely like this idea.

one  problem though, it looks like there are a number of areas in the maps where you are under overpasses or going into tunnel-like areas and such.  That might pose a bit of a consistency believability problem.
Mech time all the time

#5 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:41 PM

That would be a good addition. Flakking ejected players might be an hillarious extra factor.

I think that I'm mostly kidding this time :P. Sorry. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#6 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:49 PM

Know what_ Make it so bailing out in an enclosed space makes your guy turn into a little splatter on the ceiling.

Would be amusing to watch, and put another limiter on ejector use.

The_Silencer said:

That would be a good addition. Flakking ejected players might be an hillarious extra factor.

This could actually be cool.
Playing target practice with an ejector pod could also provide some diversions for fleeing allies, and such!
A single hero sacrificing himself to his friends may escape... This could work!

#7 Dem

Dem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 04:45 PM

Depending on the point system used, asuming there is one and whether it be by the traditional 1 kill, 2 kills, 3 kills, etc. or something along the lines of a CoD type scoring system where different bonuses would be awarded, this could be a good idea.  
Say you get into a fight and you blow the opponents mech up, getting a set point score for that kill, lets say 100 because it's easy.  So you have your 100 points for killing a mech and you're feeling pretty good about it.  So then you run into another opposing mech who you get into a fight with, and as you're about to win, the other player ejects their pilot.  So you blow up his mech without actually killing the pilot.  There would be a point penalty for this, say instead of getting 100 points for the kill, you get 80 because you didnt kill the pilot.  But you can still get those 20 points back by simply shooting the pilot, granting you the full points for a kill.
This could be an interesting game mechanic because if, while in a firefight, your opponent ejects, and out of the corner of your eye you see another mech closing in on you.  You would have to choose between shooting the mech on the chance that you can destroy it, or go for the easy 20 points that you earned.

This could possibly annoy some people, so I think there's another way to do it as well.

Instead of penalizing the player who earned the kill by robbing him of the full points, the player who ejected their pilot could have an opportunity to earn some points by doing so.  If there is a survive timer put on the ejected pilot, say around 10-20 seconds, and the pilot isnt killed in that time, than the player who ejected their pilot would get a point bonus for doing so, on the same scale it could just be around 20 points, nothing much, but enough to warrant the effort used to eject.  It would basically be a gamble, one that could be entertaining.

Just a thought  :roll:

#8 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 27 2011 - 05:56 PM

Well, that would be as scary for noobs as, so to speak, challenging for experienced players.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users