HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Should I write it_

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TemperWolf

TemperWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 19 2012 - 05:19 PM

Well guys, I've had time to digest a lot of my experiences in Hawken so far to the point where late Saturday night I was struck by what could be best described as a bolt of lightning. An idea, monumental in scope -- working out methodology to increase revenue for Hawken developers while at the same time increasing game longevity and addictive qualities for all players.

The idea is NOW BEING WRITTEN, it will take a couple of days to complete.

Have a look: Check out the Suggestion Thread.

Downsides of the idea are quite evident and are easier to list than the overall positives -- considering the positives are too many to count.

Negatives of the idea:
  • Without a doubt, requires the game to outright cancel its launch date.
  • Will radically alter how mechs are processed and purchased -- so the Current Offers will all be pointless.
  • Completely redesigns the Platform, which is where you exist between games and manage your mechs.
  • Removes the League of Legends-style Tech Tree.
  • Removes pretty much everything you've known and done so far between platforms.
So yeah, it changes everything between games. The only reason why I'm so torn is because I know it will increase the overall fun factor (not just for me alone) of the game and provide additional forms of revenue for the company. I shrug my shoulders because it's pretty much a massive design document asking to redesign the Platform of Hawken because the current one can be greatly improved.

Edited by TemperWolf, November 19 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#2 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 05:26 PM

Your thread is nothing without you actually writing what your idea is.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#3 TemperWolf

TemperWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 19 2012 - 05:29 PM

Not exactly. Because the idea is so extensive that I can just list one element of it. Besides, it's a really -good- idea, I'm kinda wanting to hold the cards to my chest. I'm only just asking the question because if it's just going to gather dust on the forums I'd rather put the effort into writing for another game.

#4 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 05:30 PM

Such a tease. Better to put it out there than not, I'd say.

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#5 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 19 2012 - 05:35 PM

View PostTemperWolf, on November 19 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

Negatives of the idea:
  • Will radically alter how mechs are processed and purchased -- so the Current Offers will all be pointless.
  • Completely redesigns the Platform, which is where you exist between games and manage your mechs.
  • Removes pretty much everything you've known and done so far between platforms.

with cons like this, just start your own game. You'd be telling the devs who have worked day and night for the last 2 years to simply start over.

EDIT: the devs have already mentioned here on the forums that they're revamping the tech tree for CB3/final release.

Edited by Ace4225, November 19 2012 - 05:40 PM.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#6 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationOTG Headquarters

Posted November 19 2012 - 06:30 PM

View PostTemperWolf, on November 19 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

Well guys, I've had time to digest a lot of my experiences in Hawken so far to the point where late Saturday night I was struck by what could be best described as a bolt of lightning. An idea, monumental in scope -- working out methodology to increase revenue for Hawken developers while at the same time increasing game longevity and addictive qualities for all players.

Downsides of the idea are quite evident and are easier to list than the overall positives -- considering the positives are too many to count.

Negatives of the idea:
So yeah, it changes everything between games. The only reason why I'm so torn is because I know it will increase the overall fun factor (not just for me alone) of the game and provide additional forms of revenue for the company. I shrug my shoulders because it's pretty much a massive design document asking to redesign the Platform of Hawken because the current one can be greatly improved.

So guys. Should I write it_ Or do you all feel that it'd just be a huge waste of my time and such ideas are better spent on shelving for future games in other companies_

No...because I think your thoughts are just "out there". Just not sure where you are coming from.

#7 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted November 19 2012 - 06:51 PM

There's no harm in writing it so long as you understand that it will never happen. Any idea that "without a doubt, requires the game to outright cancel its launch date" is guaranteed, 0%, never going to happen. This product is ready to ship and there's no time to alter what it is.

Best bet: write it down and if it's a genius idea, it can maybe be released as an expansion similar to MWO's Community Warfare.

It was fun while it lasted.

#8 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 07:40 PM

It's rather hard to gauge this on cons alone because I have no idea what you're wanting to replace these options with beyond you basically want throw out everything that has already been done and then apparently magic rainbows will rain down making the game more fun_ At least this is how I see it in my head because there's nothing for me to compare to beyond the wait for Hawken gets longer.

Take the time to write up your idea or least give us a brief idea of what you would replace the above systems with and how this would improve the overall experience. Anyone can come into a forum and make a list of cons while making the promise of magic improvements but someone with a well thought idea can back up their claims (hopefully quite easily) with facts and other wonderful things like that.

At worst none of your ideas are picked up because things are too far along for Hawken and maybe that isn't the direction the developers wanted to go and at best your ideas are taken into consideration and worked into future updates or help shape Hawken further, heck maybe something you're thinking of could be implemented before it hits Open Beta.

One thing is for sure though every minute you don't have your idea up on here Hawken gets closer to release and the harder it becomes to make changes.

Posted Image

#9 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 19 2012 - 08:39 PM

You've already couched your idea in it being unreasonable, impracticable, etc., so without further information I see no reason to assume your idea is worth taking on board. If you're actually interested in hearing what forum members have to say about your magnum opus, write up a few summary paragraphs outlining the idea.

Edited by Roundlay, November 19 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#10 TemperWolf

TemperWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 19 2012 - 09:27 PM

Well I went ahead and am working on it, feel free to have a look. It will take a long time to finish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users