HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How is the progress_ ==Developers please read==

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 06:55 PM

I must say it feels like its been a while since there was any updates or news on what is going on with the game development, people really want to know what you are working on and what direction the game is going. Even a simple "everything is going fine" twice a week would be nice.

It would also be really nice if developers could take time to give their take on some of the suggestions people have been posting, whether they think its good and/or it will be implemented, or cannot be. I haven't seen any comments from the company on peoples ideas and it feels like they are becoming disconnected with their supporters. At the time of this posting the total number of posts by the development team is less then 20, and their mostly about forum rules.

The best way to keep people interested and attract new ones is to constantly provide news and reply to feedback to suggestions and questions, without that you will eventually lose attention and it will be the death of this game. You might announce the game is ready for release only to find out the crowd has left after waiting too long.

So please spend some time to provide more frequent updates, I'd hate to see this game die because the developers spend too much time making it awesome without telling people how they are doing it  :D

Edit: Okay maybe I overreacted, but please say something! It's getting lonely  :(

#2 Pawken

Pawken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 08:15 PM

Just wait til June 7 at E3, after that im sure your Hawken boner will be restored to full strength.
Posted Image

#3 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted May 03 2011 - 08:21 PM

HappyApathy said:

So please spend some time to provide more frequent updates, I'd hate to see this game die because the developers spend too much time making it awesome without telling people how they are doing it :D
Huh_ Killing a game by working on it instead of explaining what they are doing_ That doesn't make sense. I'd rather them focus their attention on the game then waste their time trying to follow and respond to all the discussions that go on in the forums.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#4 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted May 04 2011 - 04:34 AM

Remember, they're a pretty small team. I'm not sure they have that much time to take just to browse forums.

#5 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted May 04 2011 - 06:18 AM

I see much more activity from the devs on this board then on others I have visited. So, dear Adhesive personel, stop reading this and go back to work! :]

#6 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted May 04 2011 - 06:48 AM

HappyApathy said:

It would also be really nice if developers could take time to give their take on some of the suggestions people have been posting, whether they think its good and/or it will be implemented, or cannot be. I haven't seen any comments from the company on peoples ideas and it feels like they are becoming disconnected with their supporters. At the time of this posting the total number of posts by the development team is less then 20, and their mostly about forum rules.

The problem is, people post a lot, and people post a lot of stupid things.  It would take the devs quite some time to sort through it all and give their answers as to why or why not, thus making development take longer.

They're doing the right thing by building the game they want to be making.  A big problem with the development of anything is when they start throwing in suggestions from bystanders.  Can cause a loss of focus.

Come beta, they'll probably take more suggestions from those in beta as to weapon balance, etc...  But it's simply too much to look into every suggestion given in the forums.

#7 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 04 2011 - 10:47 AM

Okay, I take back my comments, I just wish they would say more, its been weeks since we last got an update  :(

#8 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted May 04 2011 - 11:09 AM

HappyApathy said:

Okay, I take back my comments, I just wish they would say more, its been weeks since we last got an update  :(
3 days ago Chris posted:

ChrisLalli said:

We can't give detailed information because we're still in development and not every detail is locked down yet.  We don't want to misinform people.  We're aiming for a satisfying variety of choices that are still manageable for our team to create and balance in a reasonable timeframe.

Your main weapons can be mixed and matched freely between the base "classes", there aren't really restrictions there.  You can also tweak certain aspects of the mech, so for example you could choose a light mech and either bump up it's armor or further increase it's speed.
So, they do respond. ;]

#9 HitmonInfinity

HitmonInfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted May 04 2011 - 11:36 AM

HappyApathy said:

Two months ago no one even knew what Hawken was.  Adhesive has given us a ton of updates in the last 8 weeks.  Way more than other studios would.

#10 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Smokies

Posted May 04 2011 - 01:01 PM

hitmonInfinity said:

HappyApathy said:

Two months ago no one even knew what Hawken was.  Adhesive has given us a ton of updates in the last 8 weeks.  Way more than other studios would.

^^My thoughts exactly. This forum's only been open a couple weeks!

#11 Pawken

Pawken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted May 04 2011 - 03:22 PM

Also there is that Interview that was posted on G4 http://www.g4tv.com/...iew/_quality=hd
Posted Image

#12 Quevim

Quevim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted May 04 2011 - 04:06 PM

The pace of updates seems to be quite adequate. Remember, most of the fanbase for a game is developed after its release unless it's a hugely anticipated sequel to a highly successful game, or it's the next big project from a well known development team, or it's being marketed up the butt by a super rich publisher. I don't think any of those three are true here. So, wait for release as patiently as possible. Looks like it will be worth it :)

#13 Kaliops

Kaliops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 08:23 AM

I would strongly advise against marketing up the butt.  Viral marketing up the butt is just bad business.

#14 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 12:16 PM

I think all the replies in this thread have the right sentiment, thank you everyone for being understanding.  

The forums have only been up a little more than 2 weeks, there's going to be stretches a lot longer than that without updates :P  We only have 6 or 7 people working fulltime on the game (some members attend school or work additional jobs), we have no community manager position or assistance with PR... Time spent replying to emails/posts/questions/suggestions is time not spent on developing the game.  That said, we do read the forums, we do listen to your ideas and requests and we do appreciate the feedback.  We try to personally respond when we can,  but it's just not realistic to reply to everything.  

Also, we are in the middle of development.... things are changing and evolving as we test and add new features.  We can't constantly give frequent or detailed updates because they are still subject to change.  Those types of details get held against developers as commitments ("But you SAID it would be in the game...").  

Some suggestions we receive are things we have already implemented in the game, some are things we are testing or would like to implement, and some are things we just cannot do.  One thing we have heard loud and clear is the unanimous request for greater customization, and we are currently planning to add more depth to the game in that regard.  Another area we are going to explore is locational damage and how that can affect gameplay.  

Don't worry, the devs are a presence on the forums even if they aren't posting every week.  We will post updates and make announcements when the time is right so please be patient.  Thank you all for the support and feedback!

#15 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted May 05 2011 - 08:24 PM

Well, that's very good to know.

Take your time, and good luck.

#16 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 06 2011 - 11:53 AM

you the man Chris, you the man  8-)
Mech time all the time

#17 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted May 06 2011 - 12:03 PM

We want to read Lalli the upgrades and your thoughts on the game. There's no need to respond or talk to every member in here. We want to know what you are thinking and what you are doing. You don't have to show the work, just we want to read your thoughts and your expectations with the game.

#18 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted May 06 2011 - 12:46 PM

Get off their backs man, they already said they don't want to instill false hopes and make promises they can't keep.

A noble endeavor IMO. Let them make the game and when they're 100% prepared, they'll tell us about it.

#19 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 06 2011 - 04:25 PM

Yeah. I also would like to push on the fast-forward button.. but instead of trying to do that, I'm cool with exploring my nose for a while. Chill out.. I think it's going to be cool :cool: ;)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#20 Porcupine

Porcupine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 07 2011 - 04:38 PM

ChrisLalli said:

Some suggestions we receive are things we have already implemented in the game, some are things we are testing or would like to implement, and some are things we just cannot do.  One thing we have heard loud and clear is the unanimous request for greater customization, and we are currently planning to add more depth to the game in that regard.  Another area we are going to explore is locational damage and how that can affect gameplay.

^This makes me happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users