HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Either I'm good or Rocketeer is now sadly OP

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 nonsiccus

nonsiccus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:41 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 21 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

View PostGont, on November 21 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Would it be OK if the missiles weren't homing_ How do you think_
Then what's the point of having them be called Seeker Missiles_

It's not like these are hard locks like the secondary missiles; these are slow, lazy locks that faster mechs can dodge with ease and slower mechs can mitigate with good timing and some good footwork.

They're often fired in a long string. The dodge cooldown makes this strategy ineffective - you're better off spending that fuel on running,

Edited by nonsiccus, November 21 2012 - 02:41 PM.

EOC Infiltrator

#hawkenscrim @ irc.quakenet.org - find ringers and scrims at the competitive level

http://youtube.com/vrts for gameplay footage

#22 Female

Female

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:07 PM

It's quite easy you see.

Press shift + right/left and you can dodge them.
Posted Image

#23 Zyrusticae

Zyrusticae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostFemale, on November 21 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

It's quite easy you see.

Press shift + right/left and you can dodge them.
This allows you to dodge one missile at a time.

Kind of pointless when they're in a constant stream.

Really, fighting against players using this weapon is just incredibly frustrating. It takes so little effort to do well with it - it has decent damage, extremely low heat generation, and high accuracy bundled into one weapon. This shouldn't be the case.

If it's going to be such a newbie-bait weapon, it shouldn't be doing as much damage as it does. I mean, come on, it does more damage than the SMC while being far, FAR easier to use, how is that in any way fair_

#24 Female

Female

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 04:02 PM

Maybe they should add a flare as a item that prematurely sets off all explosives near it and makes rockets go to different directions.

(Has this been suggested_)

Edited by Female, November 21 2012 - 04:03 PM.

Posted Image

#25 Lord_Trent_Kellan

Lord_Trent_Kellan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 04:30 PM

I have to admit.. The seeker is pretty dang good.  It's not as good at closer ranges with a dodgy mech, but it's kinda ridiculous at times. It also doesn't generate anywhere near as much heat as I'd expect, and fires a bit faster than I'd like due to the automatic firing.  <.<  I'd say the damage output is fine, but seeking capability should be slightly less effective, and more heat generation (as long as they don't do to it what they did to the vulcan. D:).  Slightly, I repeat, SLIGHTLY, slower fire or NOT automatic.

Edited by Lord_Trent_Kellan, November 21 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#26 3Jane

3Jane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 04:36 PM

Yeah its kinda dumb how good this is :)

#27 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted November 21 2012 - 05:33 PM

A small nerf to the DPS of the seeker (either dmg or rof) and a small buff to the hellfires could put the rocketeer in a really good place (not going to touch the ult for now). That way you still have the get off my face spam, but have to maneuver for a lock to hit with hellfires for the kills

#28 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 21 2012 - 11:08 PM

View Postnonsiccus, on November 21 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

They're often fired in a long string. The dodge cooldown makes this strategy ineffective - you're better off spending that fuel on running,
That only works if you're wide open, without cover. No map is like that, and if you're caught out in the open, your impetus should be to find some cover - fast.

Use cover. They neutralize pretty much the Rocketeer's entire game, and he'll at least have to work for that kill.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#29 shosuro

shosuro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 12:12 AM

This seems to be a paper rock scissors lizard spock situation. Rocketeer is an easy prey for scout, just go close and blast it to hell seeker or not. Scout has it tough against the medium mechs though, and medium mechs tend to fail against heavy, ie. mainly Rocketeer and Brawler.

#30 Ahmintar

Ahmintar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:56 AM

Have no problem what so ever with Mech class A vs rockets. Dodge sideways will get you killed (it will hit for splash) jumping will get you killed. But doge forward on a 10 oclock or 2 oclock and get on his side and stick your nose in his face and keep it there. IF he jumps to hover booster under him. I say keep it the way it is. People are still learning how to deal with different mech's. single fights or multi mech engangments.

Edited by Ahmintar, November 22 2012 - 02:56 AM.

#31 AntiVurgh

AntiVurgh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:58 AM

View Postshosuro, on November 22 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

This seems to be a paper rock scissors lizard spock situation. Rocketeer is an easy prey for scout, just go close and blast it to hell seeker or not. Scout has it tough against the medium mechs though, and medium mechs tend to fail against heavy, ie. mainly Rocketeer and Brawler.
It's more situational than that.  Rocketeers with the seeker equiped will dominate open fields.  A-Classes with get shredded if they don't take cover.  However, in the city A-Classes should have the advantage.

The EOC Repeater is highly underrated.  It is kind of hard to aim at targets, but the burst damage is well worth it once you learn how to use it.  It's my choice of weapon with an extra taste of challenge.

Let's not talk about it's ult.  Purely situational.  Other than that, it's useless.

#32 SystemiK

SystemiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 03:10 AM

Honestly I don't see why everyone is so worked up about this.  Considering the fact that they have nerfed WAY less effective weapons than this, how is anyone worried that this one won't get the same treatment_

My personal opinion is that they wanted to give less skilled players a chance to feel powerful in an effort to re-capture their attention just prior to the store going live (and I'm willing to be wrong about this but it makes perfect sense from a business standpoint).

At any rate, there is no way this is the final result of the Rocketeer build, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...
There is no time like time wasted...

#33 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 03:42 AM

View PostSystemiK, on November 22 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

Honestly I don't see why everyone is so worked up about this.  Considering the fact that they have nerfed WAY less effective weapons than this, how is anyone worried that this one won't get the same treatment_
My personal opinion is that they wanted to give less skilled players a chance to feel powerful in an effort to re-capture their attention just prior to the store going live (and I'm willing to be wrong about this but it makes perfect sense from a business standpoint).
At any rate, there is no way this is the final result of the Rocketeer build, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...
Quite.

Crafting a good n00btube weapon is a dark and skilful art.  It needs to be easy to use and broadly moderately effective in most situations, but it also needs characteristics that allow for slightly improved application in the hands of folks with a bit more experience under their belt.  Currently the Seeker only ticks one of those boxes: [X] Easy to use.  For the remaining boxes I humbly suggest the following...

[X] Moderately effective in most situations - Reduce ROF and Damage or dramatically increase heat.  (It's a guided Primary, it needs to be on a par or weaker in output than conventional, manually aimed primaries not flat out better than some in every measurable regard.)
[X] Higher skill cap - Make it true TOW technology, and even perhaps allow for 'hooking' a shot by flicking the sight quickly to one side or the other.

#34 ConsterMonster

ConsterMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 06:33 AM

to be honest I think the only problem with it right now is the AOE of the weapon. In a 1v1, the key to not taking damage is to kill them fast. Also, dodging will significantly reduce the amount of damage you take. I tried it a bit at start and didn't care for it and i cant say I've died from it that often from the start. In addition a lot of people are using it as it is the test drive mech

others have pointed out that you cant dodge all shots because of the rate of fire - well, unless you're playing against people who are below you're skill level, you generally wont be able to dodge all the shots either. Ideally, games with this kind of hitpoint/dps ratio are about balancing attack and defense in your favour, not completely avoiding damage.

I would say it will take time for everyone to level up and a week or two of solid beta testing to know for sure if it needs a giant nerf, Let the testing continue!

#35 WarPig

WarPig

Mech Assimilations

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationOneida, NY

Posted November 22 2012 - 06:40 AM

this class has become the newbie beginner point click win class...you or anyone who may have a good idea on how to play become godly with it...
Posted Image

#36 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 22 2012 - 07:03 AM

In terms of sheer frontal attrition though, a Brawler can and will mow through a Seeker Rocketeer. Though I have to deal with my screen getting filled with explosions, which is an interesting thing the Seeker can do - it is pretty disruptive getting blasted in the face with it. My screen just lights up and there's smoke everywhere.

But once you get used to it, it's not hard to dash in at sharp diagonal forward angles and start circling them at close quarters. Where Bullets+TOW would rip them up and their Hellfires don't do much good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users