HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Matchmaking Sucks

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 D3thpool

D3thpool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:57 AM

View PostTemperWolf, on November 21 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

Even worse is that you have to exit the server to upgrade your mech. If you LIKED that server, there is NO WAY to get back to it without just complete blind luck or having a friend on the server to jump to. Currently this match making is ticking me off.

Please bring back server lists.

can also say that depending on time, the servers seem less populated then in cbe2

Would pretty much prefer to have to option to change techspec (you know what i mean) between matches, as it stands i tend to leave after i leveled up to assign points, after that its always hard to find a server thats in play/about to start
"The World is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind"

H.P. Lovecraft

#22 dancinbojangles

dancinbojangles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 03:03 AM

I think a simple solution would be to disallow readying up in a game with only two or three people, until someone else joins and the balance is restored. Then again, this probably won't be a problem after actual release, so maybe it's just not necessary. I agree with everyone saying it's stupid though, I've gone like ten matches in a row that emptied out midway through, leaving me the choice of forfeiting match win XP or sticking around a dead area with no enemies.

#23 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 03:58 AM

View PostJuiceBox, on November 21 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

Yup sucks!

Posted Image
As it happens, edge case results such as the above are high value test data to be working with.  You should probably feel proud for having been part of good data.  Play on.

#24 cH_aos

cH_aos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAndromeda

Posted November 22 2012 - 04:50 AM

PLEASE bring back the server browser

Edited by cH_aos, November 22 2012 - 04:50 AM.

#25 kootset

kootset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted November 22 2012 - 05:15 AM

Yeah this no server browser thingy is something that will prevent me from playing this game. Hope they come back to their senses and add it back soon.

#26 Foureyes

Foureyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted November 22 2012 - 06:07 AM

I'm going to offer some constructive critiscism here as well as some common sense solution. I do not pretend to know the system works, nor do I know if any of what i'm going to propose is feasible, but hey, anything starts with an idea. Wall'o'text incoming, take cover.

The problems so far :

1- Albeit quick, matchmaking often puts you in underpopulated servers, even empty ones. The reason for that is unknown, but we can theorize
a) that the system didn't find an available server with people matching your skills so it starts a new one for you to wait in.
b ) that the server got emptied earlier but is still in the list

2- There are no way to match both player stats and mech lvl. Because we can switch between mech freely between spawns and depending on how much you like variety, a high lvl mech can go against a low lvl mech because one has spent all of his time one one mech and the other has spread his time on several mechs (like me). It is very possible to get a scoreboard like the one posted in this thread even if matchmaking did its job perfectly.

3- People are leaving after one game because
a) they want to spend their tech points, change their tree or equipment.
b ) they got killed so hard they prefer to leave than to face another massacre. The teams are randomized for a new game so even if you got roflstomped, you might have a chance next game. Unfortunatly, a lot of people seem to be unaware of that.
c) they want to find a more even server (matchmaking fail)
d) they want to try another mode cause they like variety (I'm here)

so what to do to fix it_

1- playing against the odds sucks, but playing alone sucks a lot more. I would rather practice and play against higher lvl of opponents than roam an mempty and sad arena in wait of someone around my lvl.
a) Make the system smarter. As time goes by without finding a non-empty matched game, expand the search.
b ) when everyone leave a server, close that server. To start a new server, first pool a group of matched player then throw them all in at once even if that means  the matchmaking take more time.

It's a psychological thing. Instant gratification. Nobody likes to join a scoreboard of 2-3 people 'cause they assume - with reason - that it'll be boring. So they leave without even waiting to see if it'll fill up to look for a more populated game. Maybe it's already how that works and if so, it doesn't show.

2- Nothing to do here. It's a design choice. The solution would be to commit to one mech in a game and be matched with that mech. I don't think it's gonna be a problem in open beta because I expect the amount of MP will be lower so the amount of mech one will be able to buy and stock will also be significantly lower. As such, commiting most of your time to one or 2 mechs will be standard. Still, when the day comes that you want to grind a new mech, chances are your lvl 0 whatever will be up against lvl 15-20. I think this is a major reason why they nerfed the optimization tree like they did.

3- all obvious solutions here
a) allow acess to garage in between matches. everyone wants it. why not really. you still only have 30 sec or so to do whatever you want to do.
b ) nothing to do here. it's all up to the players to learn the system.
c) enhance matchmaking.
d) this would fall in the suggestion realm, but I think it'd be pretty cool to have a "random team mode" mode that would pick either TDM, Siege or Missile for each game. (Since the limit for DM is 10 players, DM shouldn't be included) I think it would keep things fresh and interesting on the same server.

I'm certain it's all obvious stuff, but without any prior tech knowledge, that's what I would try to do.

Edited by Foureyes, November 22 2012 - 06:11 AM.

#27 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 07:47 AM

As it happens there is a solution to #2 but it would require a horizontal progression system, not a vertical one.  Steps are evidently being taken to bring the game more toward a horizontal approach but as yet we don't know how many steps.

Edit: Blooper nuking,

Edited by defekt, November 22 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#28 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 07:51 AM

STOP THE PRESS

I just had a balanced TDM 6v6 that went right to the wire.  Mech levels were hugely varied, from 0 to 16, but total mech level by team was broadly equal.  Amazing, I know.  One good game in some 15 or so attempts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users