HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Computer advice anyone_

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 NoamFer

NoamFer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationJerusalem, Israel.

Posted May 06 2011 - 08:26 AM

I'm planning on buying this computer:
Scroll down for info

Do you think it's good_ Do you thinks it will run games smoothly_ And not of main concern is the price, do you think it's good_
★★★★★

#2 NAVY MARCOM

NAVY MARCOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted May 06 2011 - 08:47 AM

Allot of money for those specs. the CPU is good but the GPU is lower mid range now. and the HD size is a joke. more then 10% of that drive would be eaten up by win 7 alone.

A quick search found this
http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.638292

Dual 560's, larger HD's, higher quality MB., gamer/OC enabled RAM and name brand PSU.

there are also 'bare bones' kits where you buy the core components, save cash then build up with other parts from there.  looking around for sale or end of line cases and such is a good way to get a better deal.
gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 AMD 1090TG-Skills 1333 Ripjaw X 16gigSapphire 6970 2gigSamsung 2320 x3Steelseries Merc stealth Tritton AX 51 Procoolermaster storm inferno~ 5250gig SATA ,3TB SATA RAID 0 HD space and counting

#3 NoamFer

NoamFer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted May 06 2011 - 09:01 AM

NAVY MARCOM said:

Allot of money for those specs. the CPU is good but the GPU is lower mid range now. and the HD size is a joke. more then 10% of that drive would be eaten up by win 7 alone.

A quick search found this
http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.638292

Dual 560's, larger HD's, higher quality MB., gamer/OC enabled RAM and name brand PSU.

there are also 'bare bones' kits where you buy the core components, save cash then build up with other parts from there.  looking around for sale or end of line cases and such is a good way to get a better deal.

Isn't a TB HDD good_ And isn't 3GHz good either_

Can you give me more detailed info on that computer_
★★★★★

#4 NAVY MARCOM

NAVY MARCOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted May 06 2011 - 09:25 PM

the specs for that system, just a suggestion don't forget, are in the link given.

TB is good, but if you look at your base OS and the tools that come with it your looking at 20gig for win7 ( after a few weeks of DL's and surfing, yo'll have anywhere from 5-100gig in your user folder ) and another 30-50 gig in your program files/x86 program files folder just to start. so at minimum your already into the TB drive for ~ 10-155 of it's total cap, as well NTFS will reduce the drive size to  960 gig , not a TB.. add in office 07 or 10, a few graphics apps and a BT file .. your going to be down to 1/2 your total drive space in 3 months easy.

the point I was getting at is the system I showed you, after just 2 min of surfing, was bigger, MUCH faster and with the exception of 400Mhz of CPU speed everything was better. So take some time and do some surfing, look on O.com, NewEgg, Tiger Direct. and the local shops as well. Local shops are more willing to deal then online sites. No clue where your from but most North American towns,north and south have a computer geek shop somewhere within 40miles.
gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 AMD 1090TG-Skills 1333 Ripjaw X 16gigSapphire 6970 2gigSamsung 2320 x3Steelseries Merc stealth Tritton AX 51 Procoolermaster storm inferno~ 5250gig SATA ,3TB SATA RAID 0 HD space and counting

#5 ApocalypeX

ApocalypeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 08 2011 - 12:52 AM

NAVY MARCOM said:

the specs for that system, just a suggestion don't forget, are in the link given.

TB is good, but if you look at your base OS and the tools that come with it your looking at 20gig for win7 ( after a few weeks of DL's and surfing, yo'll have anywhere from 5-100gig in your user folder ) and another 30-50 gig in your program files/x86 program files folder just to start. so at minimum your already into the TB drive for ~ 10-155 of it's total cap, as well NTFS will reduce the drive size to  960 gig , not a TB.. add in office 07 or 10, a few graphics apps and a BT file .. your going to be down to 1/2 your total drive space in 3 months easy.

the point I was getting at is the system I showed you, after just 2 min of surfing, was bigger, MUCH faster and with the exception of 400Mhz of CPU speed everything was better. So take some time and do some surfing, look on O.com, NewEgg, Tiger Direct. and the local shops as well. Local shops are more willing to deal then online sites. No clue where your from but most North American towns,north and south have a computer geek shop somewhere within 40miles.

I tried to refrain myself from replying to this thread. But the amount of garbage that you have throw around needs to be cleared up.

1TB is more than enough. If not too much. I have had a 1TB drive for around 7 months.

Now I'm a big user. I have a 215GB Windows C drive partition with games and development tools, dev web server etc. I have have 71GB free. Then I have a 100GB partition for Ubuntu with again 70GB free, a 100GB partition with nothing on it. I also have a 50GB partition as a shared spot for my Linux and Windows files.

I have 535GB unallocated free space on my harddrive not counting the 200 or so gigs I have free in the partitions. So I'm sorry but what you have said about HDDs is total crap.

The machine you have given as an alternative is worst than the OP had in mind. Infact his one is actually quite good and priced very nicely. He could just buy 2 new graphics cards and put it in and overall spend under £1000 getting a new PC.

#6 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted May 08 2011 - 08:55 AM

+1 ApocalypeX
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#7 LordPorkSword

LordPorkSword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouth Auzzie

Posted May 10 2011 - 06:53 PM

The only thig I'd change on that PC is the vid card.
A 560, or 2 cheaper cards in SLi/X-fire, would be a much nicer gfx setup to match with the CPU!
"The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
Unreal Old Friends

#8 NAVY MARCOM

NAVY MARCOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 10:45 AM

Sod off tosser, 1 TB is what you'd find on a low end laptop.. but the' big user ' you are is laughable in comparison to an actual big user.. I personally add 1TB every 3 months alone PVR/gaming/animation/photos/videos for editing..  

Your a poser, the system he had was more money for less HD space, a minimal upgrade in CPU power and a poor GPU. ( sub $130 vs. 2X $150+ in SLi _).. why don't you come back when you get a frikin clue chav.  Done here. I'll let the noob here lead you down a path he chooses.. the ' big user' that he is..

ApocalypeX said:

I tried to refrain myself from replying to this thread. But the amount of garbage that you have throw around needs to be cleared up.

1TB is more than enough. If not too much. I have had a 1TB drive for around 7 months.

Now I'm a big user. I have a 215GB Windows C drive partition with games and development tools, dev web server etc. I have have 71GB free. Then I have a 100GB partition for Ubuntu with again 70GB free, a 100GB partition with nothing on it. I also have a 50GB partition as a shared spot for my Linux and Windows files.

I have 535GB unallocated free space on my harddrive not counting the 200 or so gigs I have free in the partitions. So I'm sorry but what you have said about HDDs is total crap.

The machine you have given as an alternative is worst than the OP had in mind. Infact his one is actually quite good and priced very nicely. He could just buy 2 new graphics cards and put it in and overall spend under £1000 getting a new PC.

#9 colR

colR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSheltering from the rain, Scotland

Posted May 12 2011 - 11:21 AM

Gee, overreact much_

Also: a terabyte every 3 months_ Ease up there big man, you'll go blind.

#10 ApocalypeX

ApocalypeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 14 2011 - 03:01 PM

Posted Image

#11 LordPorkSword

LordPorkSword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouth Auzzie

Posted May 17 2011 - 02:12 AM

Classic!  :mrgreen:
"The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
Unreal Old Friends

#12 ethicks

ethicks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted June 13 2011 - 06:42 AM

I actually built a mid range priced PC (via newegg) for a friend a week ago.  It is better than the PC you posted in every way, although it is slightly more expensive ($1719.92).  If you replaced it with a cheaper ATI card you could drop 600+ dollars off the price (which would then make it cheaper and better than the pre-configured build you posted) and see the same performance.

You would have to put this computer together yourself, but if you really don't want to do that for whatever reason you could probably run to a local computer store or best buy and pay 50 or so odd dollars to have a tech there build it for you.

The specs are much cleaner and easier to buy via newegg but I don't feel like making the list public. PM me your email if you want it.

----
XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA GTX 590 CLASSIFIED Limited Edition 3GB 768-bit GDDR5 PCI express 2.0 x16, 3xDual-Link DVI, DisplayPort, HDCP Ready

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

#13 Foxide

Foxide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted June 13 2011 - 07:37 AM

ur better of probably building one that's much better then that for a cheaper price.

#14 NoamFer

NoamFer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted June 13 2011 - 08:52 AM

I think I'll just take an XBOX. To let you guys know I'm a computer noob so I don't know much about it and definitely can't build one myself, and where I live there aren't many computer shops and definitely not many trustworthy, and on top of it all I'm poor and underage, so I'll just ask for an Xbox for my 16th B-Day.
★★★★★

#15 Foxide

Foxide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted June 13 2011 - 11:07 PM

its alright if your not a computer person cuz I'm not one as well but u do benefit from building ur own. If your clueless then have someone you know who can help you by telling u wut u should get, good deals, and to put it together. And Xbox is good too but w/e it is I hope its wut u want.

#16 xXxTALONxXx

xXxTALONxXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted June 23 2011 - 12:12 PM

ethicks said:

I actually built a mid range priced PC (via newegg) for a friend a week ago.  It is better than the PC you posted in every way, although it is slightly more expensive ($1719.92).  If you replaced it with a cheaper ATI card you could drop 600+ dollars off the price (which would then make it cheaper and better than the pre-configured build you posted) and see the same performance.

You would have to put this computer together yourself, but if you really don't want to do that for whatever reason you could probably run to a local computer store or best buy and pay 50 or so odd dollars to have a tech there build it for you.

The specs are much cleaner and easier to buy via newegg but I don't feel like making the list public. PM me your email if you want it.

----
XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA GTX 590 CLASSIFIED Limited Edition 3GB 768-bit GDDR5 PCI express 2.0 x16, 3xDual-Link DVI, DisplayPort, HDCP Ready

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Can this fit into a budget of $1100_  I know I'm poor

What can I upgrade and how long will it take to build from a person that only fixed 'moderate' repairs on computers.

Please no fluff

and can it run UDK.  

I need a computer that can run this and premier pro so I can gain the skills and have something extra that I can bring to the table, so I can get back into my Architecture program at my school.

(That it will function and able to know my way around both apps)

Thx
Posted Image

Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across

#17 ethicks

ethicks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted July 30 2011 - 10:56 PM

the driving price is the graphics card if you take that out I think it is around 1100 or less, swap that out with a mid/high ranged ATI card that has almost as much power as the 590 and you can probably get it down to 1200.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users