HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

is hawken worth the video card upgrade _

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Metalo

Metalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 03:39 AM

i get around 45 fps all ultra except blur and particles (gtx 460 800MHz at 1680*1050)

with some weapons it feels i get a lot less

a gtx 660 at around 230 euros on most charts provides 60% more fps , ti does ~20 % more than that , but its about 90 euros extra

Edited by Metalo, November 22 2012 - 03:49 AM.

#2 D3thpool

D3thpool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth

Posted November 22 2012 - 06:41 AM

the game is still in beta, so i assume the engine is still being optimized.
your card is a good mid-tier imo, so i dont really see the need to upgrade it only for hawken.

also particles (physx) are not nearly as optimized & the overall question should be if you really need the extra effects, because in a fast-paced game like this you dont even reconize them most of the time.

in the end, its your money :D
"The World is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind"

H.P. Lovecraft

#3 Spawny

Spawny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted November 22 2012 - 06:57 AM

I'm sporting a 9800GT 1gb and I don't feel the need to upgrade. Like the above poster said, I'm too busy dodging and shooting to be able to look at tiny sparkly details.
Alpha 2 B-Class Bruiser
Closed Beta 1 C-Class Brawler
Closed Beta 2 A-Class Berzerker
Closed Beta 3 A-Class Scout

#4 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 22 2012 - 07:03 AM

The game will no doubt undergo a lot of optimisations up until and following twelvetwelvetwelve. You're probably best off waiting until the game been open for a while.

#5 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 07:30 AM

View PostMetalo, on November 22 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

i get around 45 fps all ultra except blur and particles (gtx 460 800MHz at 1680*1050)

with some weapons it feels i get a lot less

a gtx 660 at around 230 euros on most charts provides 60% more fps , ti does ~20 % more than that , but its about 90 euros extra

At your resolution it won't make much difference in general.

BUT what it will do is give you a card that runs cooler and uses less juice which is win win in the end.

#6 VertoPrime

VertoPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHawaii (Oahu) USA

Posted November 22 2012 - 08:37 AM

If you can afford the upgrade go for it because one day you'll end up upgrading anyway might as well do it when you have the money.  What I'd watch for is when new cards come out on the high end shelf it is the best indicator that the card I wanted will be getting cheaper.  :D
Posted Image
Win7 Home Premium 64bit, AMD Athlon ™ II X4 620 2.60 GHz, 6GB ram, Geforce GTX550 Ti 2gb

#7 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 23 2012 - 08:45 AM

You'll eventually want to upgrade, but it should still be a fine card for playing Hawken fairly high. Just make sure PhysX are off (those are muderous even on much better cards).
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#8 Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 09:06 AM

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing, but going from a 6670 to a 7870.
Chicks dig giant robots.

#9 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 10:00 AM

View PostTimber_Wolf, on November 23 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing, but going from a 6670 to a 7870.
That would be a vastly stronger card, though a 7950 would be a titch better than a 7870.

#10 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 10:35 AM

after years of playing games with barely 30 FPs and pings ranging from 150 to 250, i've given up trying to stay up to date with current technologies. My standards are very VERY low

#11 Decoy101x

Decoy101x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationPlainfield, Illinois

Posted November 23 2012 - 12:22 PM

I upgraded from my gtx280 (the 460 benches the same as a 280) to a gtx480. Big fps jump. I run at 1680x1050 with everything on ultra, physx on, aa 2x. Great fps. Sometimes I dip to the mid 30's on rare occasion. But for the most part it stays to the 50's. if I turn off physx and a few other non essentials I'm sure I can get even moar
Crackin' eggs like we crack smoke. Smoke crack_ No! That's bad!

Posted Image

#12 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 02:44 AM

View PostDecoy101x, on November 23 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

I upgraded from my gtx280 (the 460 benches the same as a 280) to a gtx480. Big fps jump. I run at 1680x1050 with everything on ultra, physx on, aa 2x. Great fps. Sometimes I dip to the mid 30's on rare occasion. But for the most part it stays to the 50's. if I turn off physx and a few other non essentials I'm sure I can get even moar
You can. PhysX especially is murderous for some reason. I'll drop down to 18 FPS on Andromeda if there's heavy fighting, and I'm on a GTX 690... which is two 680s on a single card.

Nedless to say, I should never, ever drop that low.

#13 bac9

bac9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:24 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 24 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

You can. PhysX especially is murderous for some reason. I'll drop down to 18 FPS on Andromeda if there's heavy fighting, and I'm on a GTX 690... which is two 680s on a single card.

You know, this is interesting. I've bought new PC recently (GTX680+i7) instead of my old one (8800GTS+AMD64), and with every option enabled, including PhysX, I'm still having a very stable nice fps even during heavy firefights with lots of mechs on screen. And I'm hearing these complaints about PhysX slowing everything down very often. It did with my old GPU, obviously, but I'm not seeing any difference from PhysX being enabled with my new card. Strange, eh.

#14 CaliberMengsk

CaliberMengsk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNear St. Louis

Posted November 24 2012 - 09:36 AM

At 660ti 2gb oc edition gets just over 30fps on titan (seems to be the most stressful level on framerates) while in very intense battles with all settings on max. I don't ever use PhysX though as it's very little reward for a ton of slow down.

The reason I say this is so you can compare framerates a bit. That said, I don't think you need to upgrade the video card if you are already playing near max. I'd wait a year or two, where you can't play games on max to upgrade, otherwise it's extra money spent for very little reward, where as if you wait a year or two, you'll get a lot of reward from the same amount of money spent. (unless you are an fuzzy bunny like me and upgrade every 8 months to a year.)

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/calibermengsk

Co-Owner of the BSB.

Join the Brotherhood.
Posted Image

http://bsb-gaming.com

#15 CaliberMengsk

CaliberMengsk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNear St. Louis

Posted November 24 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 24 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

Just to say, I had a crapped out version of the ini files for a while that wouldn't let physx turn off, and I can tell you the reason it doesn't work in hawken so well is that the particles are NEVER removed until a new map is loaded. I was getting to the point where I was down to 3-4 fps when just standing there, not even in range to draw the physx particles, but it was still that slow.

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/calibermengsk

Co-Owner of the BSB.

Join the Brotherhood.
Posted Image

http://bsb-gaming.com

#16 Metalo

Metalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 12:23 AM

will recieve a gtx 660 3gb next few days, bought it for 257 euros , computer parts are 10% -20% more expensive here in greece than german online store prices that i checked , pixel fillrate and texture fillrate is double according to gpu-z and this time nvidia card prices are not overpriced compared to ati cards as this was the case before the gtx 6xx series, a 660 is priced well this year and has very good specs ( except the bus which should had been around the 3 hundreads, but on my case the 3gb edition the 192 bit covers all the memory ram bands on same speed ) , i know that by waitting 6months i would get a cheaper card or  a bit better card for the money but this time annoying gtx overpricing compared to ati isnt so much to annoy me, it probably is better in price and performance.

also will recieve a new monitor of ips panel , to check if it feels any better on eyes, my current monitor is a 3d zalman 22'' which i might keep near by in case i want to do bit of 3d gaming, 3d gaming gets tyring for the eyes after a while, its ok to watch a nice 3d movie but thats it even on passive 3d like my case, with nvidia stereo 3d shuttering glasses it might be even worse.

the 3d experience on gaming is stunning , especially on games like hawken , i tested it early on alpha 2 and it was gorgeous 3d , however its not something i dont do everyday , not to mention that when 3d is enabled frame rates drop in half , cause simply the image is split in two at the same time , nvidia has done great drivers to support 3d since many series back , so it has been great, now i want to experience better quality using these ips panels , prices are decent too, lg ips234v is 165 euros and it has just 5 ms response time

Edited by Metalo, November 25 2012 - 12:27 AM.

#17 Animal_Man

Animal_Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted November 25 2012 - 01:27 AM

You should totally upgrade OP. I'm going to once the game goes live! It looks too good not to.

#18 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 02:56 AM

View PostCaliberMengsk, on November 24 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

Just to say, I had a crapped out version of the ini files for a while that wouldn't let physx turn off, and I can tell you the reason it doesn't work in hawken so well is that the particles are NEVER removed until a new map is loaded. I was getting to the point where I was down to 3-4 fps when just standing there, not even in range to draw the physx particles, but it was still that slow.
No, they are eventually removed... it just seems to take a minute or two.

But it definitely needs to be tweaked, and certainly cleared after you leave the immediate area.

I mean, this is a 690. It's basically two 680s, in SLI, on a card. A 690 should never be dropping to framerates that bad for a UDK-based game.

#19 bac9

bac9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted November 25 2012 - 06:34 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 25 2012 - 02:56 AM, said:

View PostCaliberMengsk, on November 24 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

No, they are eventually removed... it just seems to take a minute or two.

But it definitely needs to be tweaked, and certainly cleared after you leave the immediate area.

I mean, this is a 690. It's basically two 680s, in SLI, on a card. A 690 should never be dropping to framerates that bad for a UDK-based game.
I'm seeing particles removed after approximately 30s, no slowdowns.

It's interesting to note that these particles help a lot in some situations: for example, on Alleys when pieces of concrete start falling onto your head you're alerted that someone is there on that overpass. Especially handy when you have to repair or sitting in an ambush. : )

Edited by bac9, November 25 2012 - 06:38 AM.

#20 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 07:34 AM

View Postbac9, on November 25 2012 - 06:34 AM, said:

I'm seeing particles removed after approximately 30s, no slowdowns.

It's interesting to note that these particles help a lot in some situations: for example, on Alleys when pieces of concrete start falling onto your head you're alerted that someone is there on that overpass. Especially handy when you have to repair or sitting in an ambush. : )
Well, I'm not sure why they're so long-lived on my end then, short of perhaps a full INI wipe... but that should've been done anyway because I had to uninstall and reinstall for CB3.

Some dev answers on PhysX implementation would be great, though. As I said, Hawken should certainly never stoop that low on a videocard as powerful as mine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users