HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Mechs Availablity - expanding the mech trial feature

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Foureyes

Foureyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted November 22 2012 - 09:30 AM

So CBE3 brought with it an account wipe. I thought "yay! now I have a good reason to start using a new kind of Mech and see what I like best". *sigh* I made terrible choices again or went back to the stuff I already knew. I found myself wanting something else, but not having any points to buy other mechs. Yesterday, lo and behold, 4k more MP added to my account. woo hoo! finally got to try other stuff.

But what about 12/12/12_ What about the new guy that didn't buy a vanguard initiative_ He has no idea how the different mechs and weapons handle. Is he gonna be stuck with unstocked assault until he cries tears of blood from the grinding required to at least buy a defensive/utility item_ What if he doesn't like Assault_ The mechs cost so much HP that it would take roughly 300 hours to try a new one (with an average of 100 HP per game, 3 games an hour, mech cost of 9800 HP, disclaimer: math could be wrong) much less equip it, and he's not even sure he's gonna like it!

And what if he buys one and doesn't like it in the end_ The amount of effort that went to waste would be enough to turn most people away from the game. "But they can buy MPs then" you say. True, and that makes a lot of sense from a business perspective. Not so much from a poor player's point of view. It hasn't been so long since I started not caring a lot about paying for games and in-game items. Got a job now, got a nice and cheap place, even got a retirement plan. But 2 years ago_ pff I would never have thought of paying just to try something out in a game and hope I like it, heck I'm still reticent to buy MPs even if I bought the lieutenant package (that more a way to show my support than buy points). Buying stuff I know I like_ that makes sense.

"But there is the trial mech of the week!" True. And that makes a mighty lot of sense. But then again... why limit it to one mech_ I mean, you can't equip or optimize (can you lvl it_) a trial mech without actually buying it, so there is still meaning in buying it. Couldn't all the mech be trials from the start_ You let players experiment with them all, then they can make an informed decision that'll ultimatly translate in having more fun and returning to the game. Maybe they'll find 2-3 that they like and set themselves the goal to eventually buy them too. I personally think that striving to get something you want is better than striving to get out of something you don't like.

TL/DR Although the "mech trial" feature kind of lets you experiment with mechs, I think it is still far too limited, especially when trying to decide which path you want to commit to at the start of the game. Since the extreme grind or real money needed to change that path is quite punishing, you better hope you picked the right one. To alleviate that, I suggest that all mechs be on trial at any time until bought. I think it would also encourage mech diversification in beginners' games.

If anyone can think of anything disadvanteous to my idea, please share.

#2 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 10:20 AM

If there is going to have to be a default mech i think there should be default A, B and, C mechs but i do like your idea

To add to your idea, I don't see why you can't have every mech a trial until you choose which one you would like to use.
I feel having them all trial all the time isn't good but until a player decides to buy one or even for a weeks time but then they should be the normal weekly trials again.

Edited by Necro, November 22 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#3 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 10:27 AM

I'm all up for a generous hire scheme for new players; perhaps not indefinitely but certainly for a decent period.

#4 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 22 2012 - 11:05 AM

I'd have the assault remain the default, and then have the most newbie friendly A and C class mechs be on trial for new pilots.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#5 Foureyes

Foureyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:00 PM

Why limit trials, either through time or in quantity_ What's the idea behind it_ When I try to find a reason, nothing makes enough sense. A feeling of mystery and discovery is perhaps the closest I get to a reasonable explanation, but I don't think it really matters in the end. It's a competitive game. Locking up mechs to starting pilots just feel like it'd give even more of an advantage to us CBE testers.

Well, I might be able to agree with AsianJoyKiller. Too many choices could lead to newbs to try and pilot a harder mech, resulting in frustration. But then I'd like for the rest of the mechs to be unlocked as trials when a rookie reaches a certain amount of cumulative experience.

I'm also pushing this idea for veterans who might have gotten bored of their lvl 20 whatever. I can't think there wouldn't be a time when you feel tired of always playing the same mech. Then which do you take_ You don't want to waste those hard-earned points. Just like buying car : I'd rather have a test drive before signing the contract.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users