HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Suggestion: Airborne Thruster / Airbreak

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Man_Eating_Boar

Man_Eating_Boar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 01:58 AM

Well, Call it what you want; Try something cool like:
    [*:21z42jn0]Polarity Inverser
    [*:21z42jn0]Airbreak
    [*:21z42jn0]BOAR: Battle originating active replacement. I like this one, so lets call it this from now on

Well, I guess that before we enter the whole "OMG THAT IDEA MUST HAVE AWSOME NAME" whole section of this thread. I better actually say what this suggestion is.

What this actually is:
Now then, assuming inertia is present in this upcoming video game, if a mech was to jump, start flying forward. And then mid flight, decide to turn around and come back the way it came... It would look something like this. (Paint ftw!)

Posted Image

As you can (Hopefully) see, the time it would take to reverse your direction would slow you down, allowing that pesky arch nemesis of yours to zoom in, target you, Tbag you and then proceed to verbally humiliate you; All of this while you are still trying to turn around.

But; Never fear! With the addition of the good 'ol BOAR (Battle originating active replacement) you can now turn around instantly, showing off your piloting skills, reversing the fight and allowing you to laugh as they wonder "HOW HE DO THAT_!" So, for your personal convenience I have added a diagram (Yet again, Paint. Did you know that Shift + Mouse works in paint like it works in photoshop_ Wow!)
Upon use, all inertia on the mech is removed, and a major boost is applied. Sending it flying in the existing facing direction.

Posted Image

Now then, the circle that says "Activation of BOAR" is where the player activates it, usually by double tapping the space bar button; Or their relative jump. So, by pressing this. It allows you to instantly face the direction you want to go, and also gives you a slight boost in your movement speed while in the air.

Pros:
Adds awsome skillz, allowing uber dodges
Adds a gameplay element

Cons:
Would be too good. Must add some sort've condition and requirements to this.

Conditions
As I have stated in the cons, the suggestion would just be too good. so, why not add a cost/requirement_ In order to use this boost/jump, the using mech would have to have high health of its boosters, (If the boosters become damaged from being hit, you cant use this) And maybe even add a heat cost to it too. Allowing them to spam this as long as they want, but everytime they uses this in a single jump increases the heat cost exponentially.

The Tl;dr:

Add a useable air boost that... Well, read the post.

ALSO ADD HOTKEYS TO THIS >.< Crtl B always gives me bookmarks = Sad face.

#2 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted May 09 2011 - 03:44 AM

This could be really cool, inertia-based dodges are always awesome. (Here's looking at you, Evochron)

However, I'm not sure they'll focus that much on the air boosts to count in inertia and stuff like that. But hey, who knows_

#3 Man_Eating_Boar

Man_Eating_Boar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 05:50 PM

Jack Dandy said:

This could be really cool, inertia-based dodges are always awesome. (Here's looking at you, Evochron)

However, I'm not sure they'll focus that much on the air boosts to count in inertia and stuff like that. But hey, who knows_

Thanks for the feedback.

#4 palto1826

palto1826

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted May 20 2011 - 11:07 AM

im just glad you thought of some cons and some penalties for using this because if people could just do it over and over i would break somethin  ;) i like the idea definitely but yeah balance is the key...i feel there should be a minimum amount of thrust left  and if you try to pull off the move without enough it wont have enough force and your left there like a hanging curve ball for someone to tee off on you

#5 SixSeconds

SixSeconds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 04:23 AM

If it was a thrust burst with a heat cost and minimal cooldown, then it could serve multiple purposes; assuming it thrusts forwards, always, it could be used to escape with rapid bursting at the cost of being unable to fire, as an ambush technique by bursting over an obstacle, or as chase maneuver/jink.

I'm assuming that flight will have inertia, but you can turn (through thrust vectoring or something, iunno). Of course, to use this defensively means turning away from your opponent, and using it offensively means that you're going to need some fast hands to burst tightly around a corner. Unless you just inherit the momentum from the burst and keep flying so that you can turn.

It would be nice to be able to do this on the ground, too, with some sort of skid/drift mechanic; seems like it'd fit the whole 'action game' thing pretty well.

#6 Man_Eating_Boar

Man_Eating_Boar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 03:24 PM

SixSeconds said:

If it was a thrust burst with a heat cost and minimal cooldown, then it could serve multiple purposes; assuming it thrusts forwards, always, it could be used to escape with rapid bursting at the cost of being unable to fire, as an ambush technique by bursting over an obstacle, or as chase maneuver/jink.

I'm assuming that flight will have inertia, but you can turn (through thrust vectoring or something, iunno). Of course, to use this defensively means turning away from your opponent, and using it offensively means that you're going to need some fast hands to burst tightly around a corner. Unless you just inherit the momentum from the burst and keep flying so that you can turn.

It would be nice to be able to do this on the ground, too, with some sort of skid/drift mechanic; seems like it'd fit the whole 'action game' thing pretty well.

Agreed, that was the original point of the suggestion, just so that we could bust out some Ûber cool manouvers on our targets.

But, this would also add some more seperation between the lighter and heavier mechs; Whereas heavy mechs may be able to take more punishment and hold bigger guns, the lighter forms of said mechs would be able to dodge around them =S

#7 innociv

innociv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted June 15 2011 - 07:53 PM

If it's so powerful as to break all your forward momentum, then wouldn't it be better to keep going forward twice as fast_

Anyways, it already seems there is dashes at least on the ground.  Not sure if they work in the air or not.

#8 SixSeconds

SixSeconds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted June 16 2011 - 12:41 AM

It depends; perhaps you want to turn a corner, then immediately boost back in the direction you came in order to surprise your opponent. The choice is there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users