HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

A class really deserves so much burst firepower_

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 08:11 AM

I'm asking this because, to me, A class pack way too much firepower. too much "burst" firepower mind you.

A class is the fastes class of all, and as a result excels at dodging behind cover when attacked and popping out to land a TOW or flak. They can outrace their opponents, and they can easily escape a fight.

Yeah, they have less HP than their B and C counterparts, but when you have the ability to quickly get behind solid cover, flat HP comparisons don't mean as much.

As of the current build, A class get access to:

Secondary:
  • TOW (burst)
  • Grenade Launcher (burst)
Primary
  • Flaki (burst)
  • Mini Flak (semi burst)
  • Heat (burst)
  • Assault rifle
  • smg
items:
  • EMP
  • HE grenade (burst)
Currently, A class doesn't have a sniper class, and no hellfire (which are not really good a close range, hence not that usefull on an A class).

But the ability to do massive damage alpha strikes and quickly dodge behind cover or circle around is a bit too high for me. Scout has Tow and Flak for crying out loud.

This is a game where the smallest mech (Scout) can carry the same weapons as the heaviest mech (brawler). That somehow doesn't feel right to me at all.

What's the differentiating trait between classes_ Armor and moving speed_ that's lame. Throw weapon in some more weapon restrictions.

Edited by Hipnox, November 23 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#2 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 08:30 AM

The Scout would sit more comfortably in the game if it didn’t have access to the Flak (in fact I’d go so far as to not let any of the As carry the Flak) and the Mini-Flak was adjusted to being more of a short-medium range weapon rather than the point-blank blender that it is now.  The Mini-Flak does more total damage per 100 units of heat than the Flak, and over a shorter period of time; the Flak has the edge over the Mini-Flak only for the first few seconds, then it starts to lose ground, then it conks out completely due to heat whilst the Mini-Flak keeps on crunching.

Edit: Silly filter.

Edited by defekt, November 23 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#3 Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 08:37 AM

I think it would be remedied by simply adjusting the mini's RoF down by just a hair.  I think it's close to where it should be, though.  Letting the flak have a more distinct advantage for the first 5 seconds and being a more bursty gun while the mini-flak stays as a continuous, more forgiving gun.
Chicks dig giant robots.

#4 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 23 2012 - 09:54 AM

I've had no problem taking out A-Classes. You just have to nullify their advantage - their speed and ability to hide behind cover. Get them more open, exhaust their fuel, Predict their popping in and out... there's ways.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#5 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 23 2012 - 09:56 AM

Always airburst those TOWs if you have them. Good way to catch them.

#6 3Jane

3Jane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 09:57 AM

A only got stronger this patch, apart from Rocketeers domming everyone..

#7 BlackCephie

BlackCephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C.

Posted November 23 2012 - 12:33 PM

Nah, A class is fine with high burst. There are many ways to deal with them, and that comes down to skill and technique. Think of it like most games with role based classes and characters: High dps and burst = squishiest, low dps = tanky. Its a tried and true formula. You should be happy they change health optimizations. In earlier builds you had A's running around with speed, high dps, AND 670 armor. I miss those days...
Posted Image

#8 Analysis

Analysis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 23 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

I've had no problem taking out A-Classes. You just have to nullify their advantage - their speed and ability to hide behind cover. Get them more open, exhaust their fuel, Predict their popping in and out... there's ways.

In particular the scouts weakness is range. If you can see the scout before they get close you have a huge advantage, but once they get close the scout should have the upper hand. Don't be afriad of using splash up close since a-class has less health.

#9 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 23 2012 - 01:48 PM

Where is the problem with the big Flak gun_ Due to its accuracy, it decently/effectively works at medium/CLOSE range... isn't it_ Moreover its reload time is.. well you know. If the numbers are right should not be any BALissue with this weapon.

P.S. Although.. a little boy with a big Vulcan_.. that's another subject.. I know.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#10 Nazgulgnome

Nazgulgnome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 02:14 PM

Scout has quickly become my favorite class because of that close range "blender" mini-flak.  Now, I might just be getting better with practice, but my K/D ratio has completely flipped around with CB3 from CB2, and I think it's because I'm using a single mech rather than multiple, and the close ranged DPS of the scout.  I can get on top, or underneath mechs twice my weight and simply shred them with little to no difficulty.  I'm not a normal FPS player, my twitch reflexes are fuzzy bunny, and I can still top the kill count with my scout on a regular basis.

Not sure if this supports or counters the OP, but I'm having fun while I can.

#11 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 23 2012 - 02:14 PM

As a HEAT Grenadier with 922 health, A-Class burst mechs make me laugh.
I can play "Hid behind the pillar" too. Or I can just charge right into your face.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#12 BlackCephie

BlackCephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C.

Posted November 23 2012 - 03:03 PM

I personally have more problems against other A's than B's or C's hands down. Especially Grens. Then again, a lot of the good players I fight on a regular basis are exceptional A pilots. I think C's are silly, but the current Rock is a problem in open areas.
Posted Image

#13 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 03:16 PM

I find C classes more chalanging then B's since they can take a hit and dish it out much better then CB2. B classes are "meh" now, it's basically a fight between A and C classes this time. I'm all for a nerf on miniflak if they give us an option between miniflak and sub/AR.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#14 145154151164145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 03:34 PM

Flak > Mini Flak any day.  Its not like you HAVE to hold the button down you know...  Rocket flak, dodge, rocket flak flak, you dead.
That being said, A class are still pretty low on HP and can die quite easily to a skilled player no matter what class they are using.

Edited by 145154151164145, November 23 2012 - 03:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users