HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

EXP Pods! Losers Gotta Win Too!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 TemperWolf

TemperWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 23 2012 - 09:17 AM

One of the biggest tragedies I witness in so many matches is the utter lack of Experience Points some people merit just because they aren't getting any kills. So I figure there should be some form of alternative goal for people to achieve during a match, but there needs to be some specifics involved to make it work.

Experience Point Pods
  • In random locations during Deathmatches, which means locations that are cannot be recorded and tracked by long-time players --- Experience Point Pods will burst open on the battlefield. Like golden orbs that appear after killing a mech, these can be green, significantly larger orbs that ping on the map.
  • Orbs are not instantly collected, like orbs which repair you -- you need to be stationary need the orb as you siphon experience points from it
  • Why would this be a good idea_ To give people who are losing something to do if they feel winning is impossible -- also gives them reason to avoid certain hotter zones of the map camped by higher ranking players.
Restrictions of the Pods
  • Leading Rank 1 players cannot acquire Experience Orbs.
  • Orbs do not even appear on the Rank 1 player's screen or radar, so he/she can't camp them.
  • People who collect Orbs can only gather so much experience per 2 minutes.
  • Only a handful of Orbs should appear on the map at one time.
  • Orbs should only appear in inactive portions of the map.
  • The lower your rank, the sooner the orbs will appear on your radar. Ranges reduces as you gain rank.
  • Orbs give 250 Experience points total. If it is siphoned off by another players, yet still remains -- the orb will only retain what Experience it has left.
  • Once the Orb has been touched by a player for a siphon, it begins to decay and will vanish in 1 minute even if that player doesn't siphon all 250 exp.
  • Orbs can be completely consumed in just a handful of seconds.
Other Modes
  • Random Locations: Deathmatches.
  • Team Deathmatch: Orbs have a chance of dropping from a winning team's mech, and can only be accessed by the lowest ranking players during the match and decay in 1 minute.
  • Missile: No Exp Pods or Orbs.
  • Siege: No Exp Pods or Orbs.

Edited by TemperWolf, November 23 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#2 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 23 2012 - 09:26 AM

The concept is interesting, but I'm not a fan of the execution. I don't like the simplicity of mysterious little orbs. I'd much rather see small devices that a player can interact with. Come up with some little mini-objective, of sorts. Perhaps small drones that can be shot down_
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#3 TemperWolf

TemperWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 23 2012 - 09:31 AM

Well, Orbs might be a good way to test the idea before dedicating resources towards making drones and activated objects etc.

They already have gold orbs that appear when people die, why not just add some greens ones to random locations to see if the idea actually sticks to people_

Edited by TemperWolf, November 23 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#4 -Lone_Wolf-

-Lone_Wolf-

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 09:32 AM

That is an intresting suggestion but I dont belive it rather fair for anyone getting more xp because they ran around the map collecting them vs a team that is working together and sticking in a group and taking out targets quickly and decicivly.

If your in a balanced game as far as teams are concernd and you are losing badly to the other team it is not always just because the other team has more experiance, its also the lack of teamwork and grouping up of your own team. I can guarantee you no matter how much experiance one has it will not change the outcome of 5 mech rushing in at the same time and targeting it or catching it alone and spereated from its pack.

I do belive however there should be few more options for team commands and exp rewards for team play rather than just runing around alone or camping to score a kill, unless well its just Deathmatch.

#5 TemperWolf

TemperWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 23 2012 - 09:34 AM

View Post-Lone_Wolf-, on November 23 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

That is an intresting suggestion but I dont belive it rather fair for anyone getting more xp because they ran around the map collecting them vs a team that is working together and sticking in a group and taking out targets quickly and decicivly.

Due to my personal favoring of Deathmatches, I humbly admit I did have this idea in mind for Deathmatches -- let me edit.

#6 Manoloco

Manoloco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 11:12 AM

So, instead of learning and practicing the mechanics of the game so the pilots get better, they would be given almost free XP, this could work for MMORPGS but i dont think it would be that good in an FPS, people learn to play and get better at the game, thats the idea of a fast paced dogfight.

If everything is easy then you will have a game were people gain more XP but dont learn skills, it think it would end in a less fun game.

#7 TemperWolf

TemperWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 23 2012 - 12:48 PM

The idea is to inspire low level rankers to isolate themselves to fight each other and learn in a crowded match of higher level players. They will learn, but it gives them reason to particulate in the match and also reason to avoid the best player.

It's not just GIVING them free EXP, they will likely have to fight to get claim of the orb and still have to sit still to siphon it, which is risky. If you purely leave them with just the option to fight high level players to exp, then they'll likely get turned off of the game and not learn very easily because they will keep getting killed before they can get a handle on things.

This is a not a recommendation to handhold lowbies, it's a recommendation to spread out numbers in a deathmatch so everyone isn't clustered up into one place. Spreading out people will mean more 1v1 encounters and people will start to learn the game faster.

#8 Titzilla

Titzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationBehind Cover

Posted November 23 2012 - 01:50 PM

This leads to people abusing this by finding where an exp drop is, then camping it. This only serves to make whoever tries to get it get killed more. Also trying to make people AVOID the best player just sounds silly. If you're playing deathmatch, you're going to be in dogfights all the time, or enemies will find you. Running to avoid people doesn't work too well in deathmatch. Not to mention, if everyone is running away from the top players, it just makes the entire match boring and slow.
Posted Image

#9 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 23 2012 - 02:28 PM

I'm not a fan of giving people objectives that have little or nothing to do with the main objective.
It only detracts from good gameplay.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#10 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 23 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'm not interested in promoting XP farming in deathmatch games, as much as I generally couldn't give two fuzzy bunnies about the gamemode
You should be rewarding players for playing well, not for losing and then playing Farmville to make up for it

Edited by Beemann, November 23 2012 - 02:41 PM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#11 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 11:26 PM

Another idea for this possibly. Perhaps only the bottom players are able to even SEE the exp so they are the only ones that know it exists and the only ones who can gather it. Also change it from an orb to a randomly generated area and if one of the low level players dies in the area it's moved. This will give people who are going 2-10 something to do and someone to fight near there skill level.

#12 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 11:36 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#13 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 12:03 AM

View PostTemperWolf, on November 23 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

• Orbs are not instantly collected, like orbs which repair you -- you need to be stationary need the orb as you siphon experience points from it

You have to stand on repair orbs and EU drops to collect the full amount. If you just run over it, you leave some of it behind.

To me, the experience orb mechanic you suggest already exists in the form of the repair orbs since these will help you acquire more XP, though not directly.  But I must admit, I never play deathmatch.

#14 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 01:19 AM

Why would this be a good idea_ To give people who are losing something to do if they feel winning is impossible -- also gives them reason to avoid certain hotter zones of the map camped by higher ranking players.
You know what they could also do if they felt winning was impossible_ Damage and Kill mechs to get XP and HP. They can't win, but the encouragement to at least try is there. Maybe in a different game mode (change EXP Orb to EU for Siege and we're going somewhere) but this is DM/TDM. You learn how to play the game better by killing and being killed.
Desert Fox

#15 TemperWolf

TemperWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 24 2012 - 09:43 AM

You guys who are making little comments towards mine, like "maybe only the lower ranks can see them" and "people will just camp them".

I already stated in the first post, it needs to be TRUE RANDOMIZATION so they CANNOT BE CAMPED.

Second: I also stated that ONLY LOW RANK PLAYERS will be able to SEE the Orbs so that way it's a non-issue of being stalked by higher level players watching orbs.

Finally: 250 Exp an Orb with 2 minute restriction (in a crowded match of 10 people) in a 15 minute match is only 2000 exp. And that is only assume one person can safely collect all the orbs.

I get the feeling you guys are being overly negative towards what actually is a pretty good idea.

Edited by TemperWolf, November 24 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#16 RipperT

RipperT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationEarth, last time I checked

Posted November 24 2012 - 10:14 AM

I think a simpler method for new players to gain experience without losing interest ar getting frustrated would be to have some match servers in the training section of the game with a time limit, of say one week or less, to allow them to get used to the game mechanics and battle other new players.

#17 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 24 2012 - 10:41 AM

Eh. Not a fan of coddly woddling the weak. They just stay weak that way.

Honestly, if you're not as good a player in a straight up fight - you should either practice more, or just play dirty. Hide, wait till fights happen, join them! Kill steal! Only pick on weakened opponents!

And heck, you can accumulate EXP in Siege and MA by doing those objectives.

#18 Analysis

Analysis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 12:58 PM

One of the biggest tragedies I witness in so many matches is the utter lack of Experience Points some people merit just because they aren't getting any kills. So I figure there should be some form of alternative goal for people to achieve during a match, but there needs to be some specifics involved to make it work.

Experience is based on how much damage you do(assuming no objectives). So if you kill a mech completely you get around 120 exp. If you do half health and someone kills the other half you get around 60 exp. The people that have higher exp means they are doing more damage during the match. If you want to get more exp I recommend moving around the map. Also don't be afriad of going solo or trying to flank a mech pack. If you want more exp in a match you just need to be more active.

#19 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 24 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostTemperWolf, on November 24 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

I already stated in the first post, it needs to be TRUE RANDOMIZATION so they CANNOT BE CAMPED.
People will just look around the map for them
Why bother fighting people who are better than you when you can just play farmville and get more XP than you normally would
Why bother even getting better amiright_

Second: I also stated that ONLY LOW RANK PLAYERS will be able to SEE the Orbs so that way it's a non-issue of being stalked by higher level players watching orbs.
Why not just give them their own queue up until a certain level (e.g. until level 10 you're in the newbie queue, at the end of which you get enough points for your second mech and you get to join the big kids)

Finally: 250 Exp an Orb with 2 minute restriction (in a crowded match of 10 people) in a 15 minute match is only 2000 exp. And that is only assume one person can safely collect all the orbs.
That's a pretty impressive amount of XP for doing NOTHING

I get the feeling you guys are being overly negative towards what actually is a pretty good idea.
We're being negative because it's a terrible idea that gives people incentive to not fight, and to a certain extent trivializes trying hard unless you top the scoreboard
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#20 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:44 PM

People who are better get better faster. Sounds good to me. This might just be yet another case of people wanting to turn this game into a rpg.

Edited by ReachH, November 24 2012 - 04:44 PM.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users