HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

EXP Pods! Losers Gotta Win Too!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostReachH, on November 24 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

People who are better get better faster. Sounds good to me. This might just be yet another case of people wanting to turn this game into a rpg.
Well to be fair I don't think they should get better in an in-game sense
Persistent vertical progression is an RPG mechanic that should have stayed out of MP games
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#22 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:51 PM

Loving the idea. I dunno so much about scaling the EXP based on the level of the mech though

On TDM, one of my mates went 2k, 0d, 20a ... 20 assists and he was ranked 2nd lowest on our team ... this is kinda why its needed
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#23 TemperWolf

TemperWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 24 2012 - 05:08 PM

I still feel some of the feedback is here is just over negative and not very constructive. Saying that a they are getting EXP for nothing is laughable and pretty much just your own imagination running wild.

The game is a tight quarters, high speed slug fest with people constantly hunting for blips on the map. People who will try to secure and orb will not instantly pick up 250 exp just for finding it. They will have to SIPHON it and even fight for it too. I recommend you give the idea a try before you just blindly say it's bad.

#24 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 24 2012 - 05:33 PM

We're not blindly saying its bad for the sake of it. Its not like we did not state our reasons, don't take it personally.

Such an idea just adds more of a social divide. Lets coddle the people who are new or not doing so well, give them more means to level up. Coddle the noobs, shun the pros, just further fueling the fire and adding to the problem.

Also, won't the game just be teaching the wrong skills_ Oh hey, you're not too good at fighting other players, so play collect the blips instead. So you can level up. Will leveling up make them better players_ This isn't an RPG there they gain stat bonuses, and optimizations are minute enough that if you don't learn to play the game the way it should be, you're going to continue getting your arse handed to you.

The game needs ways to encourage the losers, not reward them, nor leave the winners out of the fun.

And MA and Siege provide plenty of opportunities to fight for to siphon EXP.

#25 Underquotes

Underquotes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 08:16 PM

Sorry, but Deathmatch does not need to be any more complicated than it is. Deathmatch mode is bare minimum: for killing enemies and nothing else. There is no teamwork, no EU, no missile silos, nothing other than you and your enemies.

Besides that, as a few people have said here already, this doesn't actually help new players. Optimizations are tiny, and the differences between a level 20 mech and a level 1 mech are small enough that a good player will reliably win even at a major level disadvantage. All your suggestion would do is make the newer players get their mechs to max level sooner, without encouraging good gameplay and most importantly without learning. All this encourages is moving toward radar blips if you're losing. Like Dreizehn is saying, "coddling the noobs" does not help. The only way that a noob will get better is by playing the game, not by running around collecting free experience.

This all being said, I do think a variation of the idea could work as a separate game mode, specifically an alternate Siege mode. Instead of experience orb drops, the mode would instead drop EU canisters randomly across the map, and teams would have to constantly be on the move as the EU canisters expire and new ones arrive.

Edited by Underquotes, November 24 2012 - 08:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users