HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Low fps & Low GPU usage

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 Crown

Crown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGarnished Roast

Posted December 11 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on December 11 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

And yeah, OS architecture is OS architecture. Unfortunately, unless something like Wine provides 100% DirectX API compatability (and if it ever does, I'm switching), Windows is going to be around unless devs take a serious stance to treat OpenGL and DirectX equally... something Microsoft is very desperate to not let happen, as well as things like the DRM industry.

Hah; well unfortunately even when it comes to games on Linux we fall a bit short because a lot of developers still depend on .NET and DX libraries which suffer the same problems that I listed before (Not to mention emulation). Developers that don't make some pretty awesome games though.

#62 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 11 2012 - 09:03 PM

Tangent about gaming on Linux/non-Microsoft OSs:

Cross your fingers that Valve will lead the way in promoting OpenGL in big-publisher titles, because they're already pushing ahead on getting Steam and the current incarnation of the Source engine set up. TF2 and L4D2 have already been ported, and the Steam client's only missing a few major features (doesn't minimize to tray, doesn't pop up message notifications) that I know of. We could see a tidal shift in the graphics library of choice in the gaming industry in the next few years, and I'm all for it.

And DX11.1 is exclusive to Windows 8_ Nuh uh, sorry, Microsoft, I'm not interested in upgrading, not if you're going to employ weaksauce tactics like that. Nope.

Note: Please don't turn this into an OS holy war. Microsoft can do what it wants, but the (re-)rise of OpenGL has been a long time coming.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#63 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted December 11 2012 - 10:00 PM

View PostElix, on December 11 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Tangent about gaming on Linux/non-Microsoft OSs:

Cross your fingers that Valve will lead the way in promoting OpenGL in big-publisher titles, because they're already pushing ahead on getting Steam and the current incarnation of the Source engine set up. TF2 and L4D2 have already been ported, and the Steam client's only missing a few major features (doesn't minimize to tray, doesn't pop up message notifications) that I know of. We could see a tidal shift in the graphics library of choice in the gaming industry in the next few years, and I'm all for it.

And DX11.1 is exclusive to Windows 8_ Nuh uh, sorry, Microsoft, I'm not interested in upgrading, not if you're going to employ weaksauce tactics like that. Nope.

Note: Please don't turn this into an OS holy war. Microsoft can do what it wants, but the (re-)rise of OpenGL has been a long time coming.
Valve is pushing very hard for Linux as opposed to MacOS, I'd think. Which is good, since MacOS is basically a prettified Linux anyway, with some OpenSTEP for salt and pepper.

As for DX11.1, I wouldn't worry about it. Very few games even use DX10 still, much less DX11, but they're starting to shift to DX10. DX11.1 is really such a minor subset that it's basically going to go the way of DX10.1 - underutilized and essentially pointless.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users