HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

No threads on the HEAT_

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 11:04 PM

Opinions_

If someone knows how to use it it certainly wrecks people up, Does that mean it's op or just good in a skilled players hands_ i think just good in a skilled players hands.

Making this after facing a few infiltrators, They didn't exactly own everything but there burst damage could get me pretty damn low instantaneously and they always killed me if they dodge my TOW. I could beat them but it was a task certainly
(using a scout)

#2 Urvanis

Urvanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawaii

Posted November 23 2012 - 11:10 PM

The heat cannon isn't as forgiving as other primaries for accuracy. Even though its an explosive, you'll find you have to hit the mech dead on in most situations. aiming for the ground near them is only really an option in close quarters  or with the high ground.
Posted Image

#3 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 11:11 PM

I decided to use things other than the infiltrator this beta, so I've no personal experience with it.

I honestly think I'd do better with my HEAT/GL infil than I would with my mini/TOW scoot though.

View PostUrvanis, on November 23 2012 - 11:10 PM, said:

The heat cannon isn't as forgiving as other primaries for accuracy. Even though its an explosive, you'll find you have to hit the mech dead on in most situations. aiming for the ground near them is only really an option in close quarters  or with the high ground.
or with my douchebag shield tactics.

Edited by D20Face, November 23 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#4 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 11:13 PM

View PostUrvanis, on November 23 2012 - 11:10 PM, said:

Ahh it is an explosive_

I swear someone hit the ground and killed me, Thanks for clearing it up.

I've only used the infl for about 30 minutes but didn't like the play style, I like fast weapons :)

Also what is the AOE on the GL since it's usually paired with the HEAT_ It seems rather large.

Edited by Necro, November 23 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#5 Dracoslayer16

Dracoslayer16

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 12:03 AM

The GL has a fairly large radius but the HEAT is very small and it only has an AOE if it is charged up to full charge.
Posted Image

#6 Husky

Husky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 24 2012 - 12:46 AM

Mini Flak heat should be upped. I am not a good player and the mini flak with Tow has to be OP. I am pretty much doing this on Bazaar Siege under the AA http://www.youtube.c...uPHlX0Di4#t=99s
Posted Image

Dat Husky...

#7 Dracoslayer16

Dracoslayer16

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 01:11 AM

View PostHusky, on November 24 2012 - 12:46 AM, said:

Mini Flak heat should be upped. I am not a good player and the mini flak with Tow has to be OP. I am pretty much doing this on Bazaar Siege under the AA http://www.youtube.c...uPHlX0Di4#t=99s
This thread is about the HEAT cannon not weapon heat in general.
Posted Image

#8 Husky

Husky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 24 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostDracoslayer16, on November 24 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

View PostHusky, on November 24 2012 - 12:46 AM, said:

This thread is about the HEAT cannon not weapon heat in general.

Well that was dumb of me I guess I should go to bed. I only used Infil and the HEAT a handful of times playing Hawken and have a hard time being accurate with it and it did not appeal to me. I might try it again for CBE3 after finding out it is an explosive I would always just try to aim it directly at the opposing mech.
Posted Image

Dat Husky...

#9 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 24 2012 - 03:08 AM

HEAT also has a travel time. It's not an instant projectile, so you do have to lead your targets a bit.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#10 Spawny

Spawny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:19 AM

When people know how to aim the GL and the heat, it's pretty hard hitting though.
When playing my scout, if they hit the first grenade, it was usually game over for me.

Could beat them though, but only if I dodged succesfully, then hit them with my TOW and flak.
Alpha 2 B-Class Bruiser
Closed Beta 1 C-Class Brawler
Closed Beta 2 A-Class Berzerker
Closed Beta 3 A-Class Scout

#11 Nukerock

Nukerock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 05:40 AM

It also does self damage, which is awesome when a teammate decides to get in front of you all of a sudden and make you take away half of ur hp sometimes resulting in death.

#12 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 07:14 AM

Honestly_ It's probably Kiwi's favorite weapon in the game. It promotes skill in fun ways (leading targets, managing charges, etc.) while being effective. It's also satisfying to use because it feels like an actual mech weapon.
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#13 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 08:29 AM

HEAT Infil is my favourite setup thus far.  Lobbing a nade then timing a simultaneous impact with a charged HEAT shot is a thing of sublime beauty when you get the hang of it; however, in this beta I'm trying other stuff just for the heck of it.

#14 Etan

Etan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMInnesota

Posted November 24 2012 - 08:58 AM

The burst on the inflitrator is amazing but its a matter of skill to use not OP.
Posted Image

#15 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 09:28 AM

I've used infil almost exclusively since CB1 and that's only because I followed the HEAT cannon. I forget what it had in Alpha 2 but even if I remembered I'm still under NDA. It is very much a skill-based weapon and very fulfilling to use. Whenever I play, it always takes me one or two games to find my groove again but once I do, it's like playing a piano and the music is explosions. In those first games I can't seem to hit fuzzy bunny.
Posted Image

#16 Coot

Coot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted November 25 2012 - 10:17 AM

AR/SMG is boring and mini-flak feels like going full fuzzy bunny mode. Heat/GL is by far the highest skill cap and most rewarding combo in the game.

#17 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted November 25 2012 - 10:26 AM

I love my HEAT. It's fairly accurate at long range, so on a map like bazaar (SAHARA!) I can do a fair bit of damage before they even get to me. The slight splash when fully charged has also helped me out more times than I can count. When I know I can't hit an enemy (looking at you, scouts), I can just pop a round into the ground beneath them with almost the same effect.

View PostNukerock, on November 24 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

It also does self damage, which is awesome when a teammate decides to get in front of you all of a sudden and make you take away half of ur hp sometimes resulting in death.

THIS is annoying. I say we need friendly fire enabled. 3 times during a game yesterday I had a teammate park themselves directly in front of me, causing me to do all sorts of damage to myself. I then had to withdraw and repair, which was a serious annoyance considering I was the one doing all the killing.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#18 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 25 2012 - 11:05 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 24 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

HEAT also has a travel time. It's not an instant projectile, so you do have to lead your targets a bit.

but it's travel time is near instant.. i treat it like a hitscan weapon and things blow up fine. Well I guess there is a little travel time if you are sniping with it.. but it is always spot on accurate to where you aim it. I worry if it will be too good of a weapon in a year or two when over all skill is greater in the game.

#19 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostAkrium, on November 25 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

View PostDarkPulse, on November 24 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

but it's travel time is near instant.. i treat it like a hitscan weapon and things blow up fine. Well I guess there is a little travel time if you are sniping with it.. but it is always spot on accurate to where you aim it. I worry if it will be too good of a weapon in a year or two when over all skill is greater in the game.

That is my main concern regarding this weapon really.

#20 Sparkard

Sparkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 03:44 PM

And on the grenadier_ (Also with Rev-GL/GL combination) it's seems to me that he requires even more "skill" to do anything than post-nerf ss, but i don't see threads popping about it. It doesn't really feel like a grenadier and requires more infi-like style of play... but with a C-class mech :/ .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users