HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

*FACEPALM* followed by *HEAD-DESK*

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 LordofNosgoth

LordofNosgoth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 11:48 PM

I'm sure if I'd played more than just a few hours this evening, I might have more gripes. But for the moment, I've only got a few.

1)The Sharpshooter has been made into complete and utter trash. The DPS is even lower, fire rates are even slower (1/3 of the original speeds, by my estimate) and, worst of all, the heat increase is nearly doubled. And, of course, the chassis is as slow as ever. Meteor, if you're going to make it useless as a fighting class, at least make it the fastest bloody thing on two legs; if it can't kill worth a damn it at least needs to be able to get away. Oh, wait; you can't do that either.

What, exactly, is the sharpshooter good for_ It can't kill; it can't run and the damage is so low it barely counts as harassment.

2) The new lobby and matchmaking system is nice... but it would be nicer to have the server browser back. So I don't keep randomly joining empty servers and sitting. For hours. And hours. And hours. I want my server browser back.

3) After it getting posted by me 3 times and dozens of times by others, the f***ing game will still fail to launch if there's more than one monitor detected. It fails to create D3D9 device. Every. Single. Time. What_ Did you just ignore it_

Edited for tone by author.

Edited by LordofNosgoth, November 24 2012 - 04:56 AM.

"There is no true genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results; that is the definition of insanity." - Albert Einstein
"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." General George Patton
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Only two things are infinite: The universe and stupidity... and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

#2 Akos_Amun

Akos_Amun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 12:16 AM

It was hard enough using Sharpshooter before, had one of the lower rates of fire of all the mechs so you had to hope all your shots landed. Now, you can't really get near anyone or you die instantly.

#3 Husky

Husky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 24 2012 - 12:20 AM

Take a deep breath and realize everything is still Beta. Nothing is set in stone and the whole point of closed beta is to fix things. You are coming off a little over dramatic about your issues.

1) As you know some of the mechs do need fixing from the Sharpshooter low DPS high heat production to the Rocketeer no aim sKILL seekers. I am sure they are aware of the problems and will work on balancing problems some time after the thanksgiving holiday weekend.

2) The matchmaking is undesirable ATM but word on forum says it is only temporary and the only reason they forcing us to use it is to test it out.

View Post[ADH]Saunders, on November 23 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

Sorry you guys aren't enjoying this test as much as the last one :(  I'm not either.

We're working hard on fixing every one of the issues listed above - expect big improvements between now and open beta.

Also, right now it seems like there are less players than there actually are because the matchmaking system tends to place people in empty servers.  This is one issue I'm personally going to make sure is fixed ASAP - hopefully as early as Monday or Tuesday.

3) I can't say much about the issue because I can't afford two monitors. I gots kids to feed...

Edited by Husky, November 24 2012 - 12:38 AM.

Posted Image

Dat Husky...

#4 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted November 24 2012 - 01:27 AM

Well, you can't really say that Adhesive are idiots for "nerfing" the Sharpshooter. They're just gearing it towards it's intended role- as a SNIPER, and not a CQC combatant. One is meant to stay out of the fray and shoot from afar, making heat rate not too much of a problem. In the first 2 CBE, people were running around with the Sharpshooter and using it at close range like the present day Brawler and Scout. It was a f****ing mess.

Edited by The_Eldritch_Abomination, November 24 2012 - 01:28 AM.

< TEXT-FIELD >

#5 BernardWiseman

BernardWiseman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 01:45 AM

Wait, what_ You're complaining aboutlack of quickscope, and then complaining that it's being catered to COD fans_ Isn't quickscoping a COD thing_

I never thought Sharpshooter was bad in the earlier events, you got a bunch of burst damage that you could use to easily pick off wounded or distracted opponents, and the sabot rifle had enough accuracy at point blank that people still feared you. I haven't tried it recently though, I need to give that a shot.

#6 Zorvaz

Zorvaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 01:47 AM

View PostThe_Eldritch_Abomination, on November 24 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

Well, you can't really say that Adhesive are idiots for "nerfing" the Sharpshooter. They're just gearing it towards it's intended role- as a SNIPER, and not a CQC combatant. One is meant to stay out of the fray and shoot from afar, making heat rate not too much of a problem. In the first 2 CBE, people were running around with the Sharpshooter and using it at close range like the present day Brawler and Scout. It was a f****ing mess.
Thats the thing though, I have never died in CQC to a sniper in this patch. It is one thing to be inefficient up close but they literally do not stand a chance if they stay to fight, and if they run they get shot in the back. I did not really have a problem with Sharpshooters in CB2, however, unless they find me at extremely low health they really are not a threat now. They may have been a little too good for some people up close during CB2, but making it absolute trash in any sort of CQC situation is not the right solution.They should be able to at least put up a fight if need be.

#7 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 24 2012 - 03:19 AM

Wow
The reaction is pretty amusingly awful, but even some of the ideas being delivered through pure nerdrage are ridiculous
The sharpshooter never needed a buff any more than it needed a nerf. It was fine the way it was
I could address the other completely pants things you say in that post but I'll move on to the other two

Matchmaking is being tested this time around. If you can't live without the server browser, come back when they put it back in

Bug fixes take time. I get the feeling that you've never programmed anything beyond "hello world", if you've even gone that far
The game's still in closed beta, and there's a lot of stability issues. In case you hadn't noticed, the devs have got a lot on their plate.

@Eldritch
The only people that couldn't be shut down on sharpshooter with relative ease were the same people who are hard to shut down on pretty much every other class
If you lost to a CQC SS it's because you got outplayed

Edited by Beemann, November 24 2012 - 03:21 AM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#8 145154151164145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:00 AM

Well, the patch fixed the SS a bit and I can use it almost as effectively as previous variants in cqc, i'll usually have at least a 3:1 k/d so you must not be playing it right....  SS has a highly mobile play style and is not a stationary turret like most ppl try to play it.

Only reason we have no server browser at this points is because they wanted to test the matchmaking system and as they can see now it does need work. Give it time.

Edited by 145154151164145, November 24 2012 - 04:02 AM.

#9 LordofNosgoth

LordofNosgoth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 05:10 AM

1) QS'ing is not a CoD thing; it actually started in CS:S and was perfected in other games (but certainly not CoD; it's always been trash in CoD).

2) The SS is garbage at every range now; but a death sentence overall because no decent player will let you keep range and good ones have already earned enough points that they can close the gap before the pitifully slow POS called "Sharp Shooter" can do anything about it.

3) The point to being an aggressive sniper is being able to keep distance ranges, scope in and shoot very quickly and deal out massive damage in single shot intervals; all while being able to get away (live to fight another day). The SS hasn't been able to do that at all, not even in CBE 1. Whatever your arguments are to the contrary, not even one of you can plausibly tell me that you can take off running (successfully) if you get spotted by a Berserker or Infiltrator. For that matter, a Brawler can outrun SS for Christ's sake. It's pitiful.

4) The heat rate is only a problem because it doesn't deal enough damage in single shot intervals to be worth a damn. I hate constantly running infils, 'serkers or rocketeers just to be able to do enough damage for the enemy to feel it. This newest incarnation of the SS should rightfully be called the LRT or "Long Range Tickler" because that's all the joker is good for; tickling the opponent just enough to make him giggle before he blows you to kingdom come.
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results; that is the definition of insanity." - Albert Einstein
"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." General George Patton
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Only two things are infinite: The universe and stupidity... and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

#10 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted November 24 2012 - 06:58 AM

View PostLordofNosgoth, on November 23 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

3) After it getting posted by me 3 times and dozens of times by others, the f***ing game will still fail to launch if there's more than one monitor detected. It fails to create D3D9 device. Every. Single. Time. What_ Did you just ignore it_

I've got two monitors and have not had any issues at all. Since you haven't posted anything regarding your specs there's nothing anyone can even begin to suggest for you.
A good start would be to run 'dxdiag' and attach the results as a .txt file to your post so that people can have a look at what you're running.

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#11 LordofNosgoth

LordofNosgoth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 07:06 AM

View PostFantus_Longhorn, on November 24 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

View PostLordofNosgoth, on November 23 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

I've got two monitors and have not had any issues at all. Since you haven't posted anything regarding your specs there's nothing anyone can even begin to suggest for you.
A good start would be to run 'dxdiag' and attach the results as a .txt file to your post so that people can have a look at what you're running.

You should read the other posts by the same title. I've posted my specs more than once. And since 'dxdiag' is good for exactly squat outside of a hardware fault, your suggestion is not precisely useful.

i7 3770K @ Stock Clocks
Z77X Chipset
2X RadeonHD 7850's in CFX @ Stock Clocks
16GB RAM @ 1333MHz
2X 64GB SATA III in RAID 0
2X Acer 23" 100,000,000:1 DCR (Primary Monitor in DVI; secondary in Mini-Display port)
1X Polaroid 32" 720p HDTV via HDMI
2TB WD HDD
1TGB WD HDD
3X 250GB WD HDD
Samsung Superwrite DVD-RW+DL Lightscribe
LITEON BD ROM
Antec 900W PSU

Average CPU Temp: 32*C; Load 48-53* C
Average Sys Temp: 83* F

Every other game, rendering algorithm, 3D Editor, compiler, Photo/Video editor or program of any kind runs just fine. I don't have this problem with even HMS's bug-ridden, poorly designed games. This issue only comes up with this game.

Now that we've eliminated the "possibility" that it's a hardware fault, let's try actually looking at the programming, shall we_

Edited by LordofNosgoth, November 24 2012 - 07:11 AM.

#12 Tibster

Tibster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 10:16 AM

I# 1 & 2 I agree on !

The heat generation on the SA Hawkins is totaly screwed atm imo.

# 3 i have no xp with.

Edited by Tibster, November 24 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#13 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 11:29 AM

Yes, people used it close range, and it should be able to be used close range.  However, only good people used it successfully close range.  That is why you rarely see SS with good KDs, and why you don't see many SS in games in general.

From a sniping perspective, it's far too easy for your enemy to get away once they've been hit.  They can just go around a corner and heal up.  If a sniper wanted to chase them, they'd be healed by the time the sniper got close, and/or the sniper would get intercepted.  Essentially, if played like this, the SS would be a strictly KS class, as there is no way you would get any kills against even just mediocre players.

Nobody wants to play a ks class.  That's why the SS needs the ability to hold its own close range.  Which is exactly how it was balanced in CBE2.

#14 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted November 24 2012 - 01:03 PM

View PostLordofNosgoth, on November 24 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

Now that we've eliminated the "possibility" that it's a hardware fault, let's try actually looking at the programming, shall we_

And there goes any chance of me helping you. Have fun :)

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#15 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 24 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostLordofNosgoth, on November 24 2012 - 05:10 AM, said:

3) The point to being an aggressive sniper is being able to keep distance ranges, scope in and shoot very quickly and deal out massive damage in single shot intervals; all while being able to get away (live to fight another day). The SS hasn't been able to do that at all, not even in CBE 1. Whatever your arguments are to the contrary, not even one of you can plausibly tell me that you can take off running (successfully) if you get spotted by a Berserker or Infiltrator. For that matter, a Brawler can outrun SS for Christ's sake. It's pitiful.
Except that's wrong
If you're fighting a faster mech, it's your job to make sure you give yourself a bit of extra time
If you can't do that, then you need to CQC or die
A long-range class shouldn't be given the highest mobility options. If it DID have them it would just kite everything else all day every day
The sharpshooter was a good long-range support class that was fairly awkward to play in CQC from A2 (any bugs or exploits aside) til CB2
It didn't need to outrun A class mechs because it already outranged them AND had more health. Adding speed to it would have been ridiculous
Being an aggressive sniper means that you feel confident in your ability to get out of a particular situation, and are in it to put pressure on the enemy team and assist your own team in destroying their targets
It does NOT mean you need to be the fastest class with highest burst and midrange health
That's completely pants
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#16 GarytheSnail

GarytheSnail

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:15 PM

The Sharpshooter in CB2 was just fine. It's fire rate wasn't high, but damage was good, so it rewarded good aim.

I played an aggressive Sharpshooter in CB2, strictly stuck to Siege games and ended with about a 4.5 kdr. But I wasn't one to sit back and pick off low healthers either. I usually ended games in top 2, if not top, Energy delivered, and would be in the main fight every time at the AA.

I can't do anything with the Sharpshooter in CB3, now. I feel like I have pea shooters, with accuracy to match.

Edited by GarytheSnail, November 24 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#17 Aelieth

Aelieth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationShawnee, Oklahoma or Nagoya, Japan

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:31 PM

I've purchased the sharpshooter for this beta and started playing it right off. Yeah, I noticed some differences and especially with power of the slug rifle without the scope, but that's why it has the SA Hawkens. Use the SA Hawkens if you're an aggressive sharpshooter so you can get into the fray, or the slug to stay back and smack people around. The damage difference seems minimal to me.

My reaction speed as a sniper is definitely average, but I know what I'm shooting at. My score does not suffer as a sharpshooter, and it still really hurt people. Throwing down my ability and shooting out 1/3 of a class C's health in a burst makes me happy. I have enough time to shoot one with two blasts of my sabot if they do not quickly turn and find cover.

Class A's still take massive damage. If I hit one with my primary and secondary attack they had better find cover real fast else they'll be a smoldering mess.

Overall I've seen many less sharpshooters (I've seen many less players too). Those I do see either really suck or are really good. Seems the skill level has been raised on the sharpshooter, something I gladly welcome as a sniper.
Posted Image
Seriously suicidal scrapheap operator

#18 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:38 PM

If they wanted to do that they should give it more burst damage and low rate of fire. As it stands, the sniper is a medium range mech that still excels at doing guaranteed damage at a reasonable distance.  Something the rocketeer can't do for sh|t if there is a corner or cover nearby.

If you can't get kills I recommend working on your aiming and binding the damage ability to a mouse button. You should be using it everytime its done with its cooldown and you have 2 or so mechs to shoot at. Also sometimes when they are already taking fire, its worth poking with the slug to see how they will react/if they will take enough damage from allies. Then kill them with a slug-sabot volley.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#19 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 24 2012 - 05:54 PM

Sharpshooters are deadly with close ranged partners watching out for them. Keep the hair off your back, pursue unfinished jobs. Get your share in both assists and kills.

People need to stop putting the SS in some kind of ideal 1v1 scenario.

#20 LordofNosgoth

LordofNosgoth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 10:55 PM

View PostBeemann, on November 24 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

View PostLordofNosgoth, on November 24 2012 - 05:10 AM, said:

Except that's wrong
If you're fighting a faster mech, it's your job to make sure you give yourself a bit of extra time
If you can't do that, then you need to CQC or die
A long-range class shouldn't be given the highest mobility options. If it DID have them it would just kite everything else all day every day
The sharpshooter was a good long-range support class that was fairly awkward to play in CQC from A2 (any bugs or exploits aside) til CB2
It didn't need to outrun A class mechs because it already outranged them AND had more health. Adding speed to it would have been ridiculous
Being an aggressive sniper means that you feel confident in your ability to get out of a particular situation, and are in it to put pressure on the enemy team and assist your own team in destroying their targets
It does NOT mean you need to be the fastest class with highest burst and midrange health
That's completely pants

What world do you come from_ It clearly isn't this one. Every sniper class I've ever played in any game has always had the greatest mobility... and for a damned good reason: People hate snipers.

This statement is true whether it's RL situation or in a game. Name one solitary game wherein folks on a team simply ignore snipers rather ganging up on them to take them out because they hate being pinged from distances their weapons can't reach. Which is exactly why they do spend most of their game-time kiting other players... because they have to, otherwise they die. Endlessly. In point of fact: if you don't have the ability to kite angered players, you're a dead man. This was, at the very least, possible to do in the last CBE but isn't even remotely possible in this one. That would be mitigated somewhat if the player count for the maps was higher than 6v6... but it's not. So even if there's only one passable sniper per team, that one player can absolutely count on being hunted relentlessly. Given that it's slower than pretty much every other class at the moment, it also means that the one player has been rendered useless to his team; he's going to spend his game-time running for his life or camping the spawn site (assuming Siege or Missile) because he/she has no other options if they desire survival.

I'm so glad you think that everyone who disagrees with your opinions has no skill. So, I'll tell you what: I'll take you on in any game outside this one as a sniper. When I can consistently kite you, ping you from anywhere on the map and force you to think fast on your feet in order to sneak and/or outflank me (and use teamwork to do so) maybe your inept opinion will change. Given that you seem to think you're the only one with enough skill to have an opinion of value, I get the impression that no matter how badly you're beaten or hassled, you'll still have an excuse for how you're right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users