HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

My compilation of feedback/suggestions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fex

Fex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPlanet: Epsilon

Posted November 24 2012 - 02:31 PM

I've been playing adamantly since alpha 2 and have been jotting down areas of the game that stand out for me.  I fully understand this is beta and not everything is tweaked to perfection, but as I'm a tester that's absolutely in love with this game, I'd like to help out with what has caught my eye.  I'll try to make this easy to read and to the point as it is lengthy.  Again, this is feedback as well as some suggestions or ideas peppered in.

-In game chat-  As a player I'd rather have the kill log and chat be separate from each other.  Too many times chat is overpowered and removed quickly from sight due to the kill log bumping it off screen.

-Text-  Kind of tying in with chat.  There are too many areas of the game (mainly garage) where text is very difficult to read.  Whether due to an undesireable color, very small print, or both.  And, again, the chat in game is fine for the very first line but then gets bumped to smaller text making it hard to read.

-Different loadouts between deaths-  I'm not sure how much of this is a decision by design, but I'd like to be able to tinker with my optimizations between deaths.  I don't see this as being too farfetched seeing that you can already change mechs between deaths.  But now you can no longer buy 2 of the same mech so having a backup loadout of a mech doesn't fly.  Perhaps even have some sort of save option for different specs that you can change in between matches/deaths.

-New/fresh games-  I'd like to see an option in matchmaking to join a new game.  Not one that's already in progress, fully understanding that I might have to wait for more players.

-More skin options-  On top of having just flat out more skin options, I'd like to see the ability to fully color everything including weapons and perhaps even changing the color of my T.O.W. rocket's exhaust trail.

-Different optimization trees for each class/mech-  First off I'm OK with what is implemented currently, but it would be nice to see the talent tree optimization tweaked to better suit each class, or maybe even each mech specifically.  Not just a blanket tree for the entire game.  There would contain talents that only a "C" class could get or even more specifically, only an Assault class can obtain.

-Lower time between matches-  The new added honors/podium placements is great, but if we could speed up the downtime between games that'd be wonderful.

-Titan-  Titan seems to be suffering from the same thing pre-change Sahara was suffering from when it comes to TDM gameplay specifically, and perhaps other modes as well.  From a competitve standpoint, it feels like you need to stay on the highest tier level to maintain an edge which then usually just bottles around the AA missile launcher.  There's lower level "passages" on either side that a coordinated team could use to help break this gameplay, but it's too time consuming to use and, again, you'd be giving up the high ground advantage just to access them.  Perhaps adding some (2 perhaps) "catwalks" on the upper tier to bridge that level might change things up some.  Having 3 lanes instead of the current one.  Although I'm not sure that's enough.

-Environmental Conditions- In the upcoming months I'd like to see maps with environmental conditions.  Balancing might be a nightmare, but hot/cold maps where heat gains change could be fun.  Another condition could be low/high gravity.

-New weapon types-  I'm not sure how fleshed out the Hawken universe is so I'm not sure this would fit, but I wouldn't mind seeing energy weapons at some point.  Particle cannons, lasers, that sort of thing.  But definitely no melee weapons! :P

That about sums up what I have currently, I'll continue to take notes and edit this post as needed.  Thanks again for the opportunity to test the game as I've been keeping close watch on it for too long a time now.  I join the ranks of those that are super excited for release.

P.S. Bring back old siege mode!!

Edited by Fex, November 25 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#2 Fex

Fex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPlanet: Epsilon

Posted November 24 2012 - 02:54 PM

Oh god, after rereading this I failed to express my specific joys with the game.  Let me start off by saying the gameplay is top notch.  I absolutely love the skill ceiling of solo as well as team-based play.  Easy to pick up but definitely harder to master.  I love the fresh feel you guys bring to a modern FPS, ditching the current CoD easymode one-man-can-take-all with a good ping and low skill ceiling gameplay.  Just the utility of the T.O.W. self detonating brings a feeling of old Quake Tournament days.

Also, the sounds, visuals, and "feelings" of the game really brings on the experience of piloting a mech. Right off the bat I felt I was driving a lumbering mech that had substantial firepower.  I truly feel part of the world in which we fight.  

Finally, I admire the dev team.  I've watched old interviews with Khang Lee doing some gameplay footage and he's cussing throughout the match because he missed a shot or ate a T.O.W.  I can relate.  I've read about the old sleep schedule, pushing back meetings to a later (more reasonable imo) hour because hey, we're up all night playing/making games.  It's gamers making games.  It's people doing what they love.  Hawken is in good hands.  One things for sure, I'll be around and waiting to see what's next.

Edited by Fex, November 24 2012 - 03:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users