HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Why are the light mechs so powerful

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 byaafacehead

byaafacehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 01:05 PM

umm wow this topic got insta offtopic...

View PostDeathgate, on November 27 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

I have gone up against many light mechs and why can they take out heavy mechs faster.  It also seems that the light mechs have more armor because when I hit them I do little damage.
I find small mechs (scout/infi) difficult to play against especially as a sharpshooter. I can kill them in two bursts but hitting them is an entirely different matter. Its not that they have good armor (they are pretty squishy) but they are friggin impossible to hit. Part of this is due to me being garbage at aiming (plus some the new changes to the sharpshooter's accuracy :/ ) but with their insane speed, its almost a trivial matter for them to hit me once, taking half my life then run away until their weapons reload and finish me off without taking a single hit.

Edited by byaafacehead, November 27 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#22 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 27 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostEtan, on November 27 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 27 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

View PostDackstrus, on November 27 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

High levels do have somewhat of an impact. I know between my Defensive Rocketeer build and offensive build, I see a increase in damage.

A noticable increase in damage.
Not including internals (because anyone can get those regardless of levels) you can gain a 2.48% boost in damage.
If you're using the AR, do you know how much of a difference 2.48% extra damage makes_ Jack diddly. That's what.
But let's say you're using the Rocketeer.
2.48% gives the Seeker an extra 1.43 damage.
2.48% gives the Hellfires an extra 5.3 damage.

You can increase your dps by 1% or 1.5% for secondaries.

Do you really qualify that as being a noticeable increase in damage_
Damage values for the trees can be found here http://community.pla...-and-internals/
fuzzy bunny. You mean I did math unnecessarily_ If only I had known before.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#23 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted November 27 2012 - 01:19 PM

View Postbyaafacehead, on November 27 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

umm wow this topic got insta offtopic...

View PostDeathgate, on November 27 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

I have gone up against many light mechs and why can they take out heavy mechs faster.  It also seems that the light mechs have more armor because when I hit them I do little damage.
I find small mechs (scout/infi) difficult to play against especially as a sharpshooter. I can kill them in two bursts but hitting them is an entirely different matter. Its not that they have good armor (they are pretty squishy) but they are friggin impossible to hit. Part of this is due to me being garbage at aiming (plus some the new changes to the sharpshooter's accuracy :/ ) but with their insane speed, its almost a trivial matter for them to hit me once, taking half my life then run away until their weapons reload and finish me off without taking a single hit.

Dodge's are always a set distance that the pilot cannot change, try to practice guessing where they will end up when they start a dash and have a shot lined up to take them out.

#24 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 01:25 PM

As an infiltrator using the explosive damage boost (that also reduces armor) I'm pretty sure I'm playing with the lowest armor rating in the game: 483. Even getting all three armor boosts in the motion tech tree only adds 5 armor so I don't bother. A TOW missile almost takes half my health away. 70% of my strategy involves avoiding any and all damage. If the A-class seems strong, it's only because they are mostly used by skilled players who pushed through the learning curve of getting blown to bits every few seconds. Are they inherently stronger than the other mechs_ I would say no. I used to make the mistake of getting overconfident when going up against other classes but I've faced many skilled players who knew how to utilize their advantages and exploit my disadvantages.

So here's some advice against going up against A-class mechs. Don't just charge in and take them head-on, especially if they're an infiltrator. That is exactly what they want you to do. If they're hiding, make them come to you. Do not let them pick the battlefield and don't let them confuse you. If they get in close and you lose track of them. Dodge away, or hover briefly until you find them again. As long as you keep your head and don't panic, your chances will greatly increase. They have much more to fear from you than you them. They can die in  two or three seconds while you can easily outlast them provided you have good aim.

A-class users think very tactically. If you familiarize yourself with their tactics, they become disadvantaged. Try your best to take them on out in the open. If they are dodging around and behind obstacles, you should either move away or try and hover over them if possible. An exposed A-class is a dead A-class as long as you know what you're doing. If they are an infiltrator and they disappear from your radar before they engage, move away quickly from where you last spotted them because they have just cloaked and are trying to take you by surprise. If they run around a corner and cloak, don't just tromp in after them. They are trying to ambush you. You should either side dash around, or boost forward as soon as you take the turn, this will disrupt their aim and their cloak, exposing them in the process.
Posted Image

#25 flimsy

flimsy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 06:09 PM

What the last guy said. If I take on any class B or C mech in my infiltrator in the open without any cover, I will always die. I have to constantly dodge and boost and make tactical decisions to stay alive. If I run out of boost power and have to fight, I'm pretty much dead.

#26 Eis9_M0th

Eis9_M0th

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted November 28 2012 - 10:03 PM

Light mechs seem so powerful for two reasons that I can see:

1) They make the most of skill disparity. A poor pilot is still going to be able to hit a good player who is piloting a big slow mech, not as likely if the good pilot is in a fast mech.

2) Their speed allows them to disengage more easily when the odds are unfavorable and press the issue when they are. I get killed all the time in my Sharpshooter because it's too slow to effectively disengage when things get bad and sometimes have to let wounded enemies escape too.

Those factors help good pilots put up some ridiculous numbers in light mechs, though I think when both pilots are very high level and accurate with their shots, the advantage probably swings back to bigger mechs.

Edited by Eis9_M0th, November 28 2012 - 10:04 PM.

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras.

#27 PiVoR

PiVoR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 28 2012 - 10:54 PM

A mech got same firepower (sometimes better) than other classes and got much better mobility in exchange for very few less HP.

View Postmaschas, on November 28 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

What the last guy said. If I take on any class B or C mech in my infiltrator in the open without any cover, I will always die. I have to constantly dodge and boost and make tactical decisions to stay alive. If I run out of boost power and have to fight, I'm pretty much dead.

Just close distance so enemy feels your breath and keep circling around him with dodges, A mech can strafe much faster than other mechs can turn around.

#28 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:35 AM

View PostNide_van_Dark, on November 27 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

The lvl makes barely a difference. Personal skill taht you get while playing makes the part. Because of the speed and dodging the experienced player choose mainly light mechs.
Actually, I have a very nasty L16 Brawler.

But I also have a L16 Infiltrator, and my more used-mechs are probably overall A/B class.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users