HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

What's the point of a Matchmaking system_

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 28 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

No. It's still f2p. I think he was trying to say if you're not a paying customer you have no right to complain. Which isn't true.
Even if you're a f2p player, once the game goes live, you have the right to complain about something you think is a problem.
You just better be able to back your complaint with evidence. On the flip side, being a paid player doesn't absolve you from providing proof that your complaint has basis.

Yeah, I didn't mean it as "paying".  That came out wrong.  I meant that we're currently basically unpaid employees getting eyes and play time on a product before anyone else, so we don't get to complain about not having as much fun as we were expecting just because we're being forced to test something that we don't paticularly like.  I don't get to complain to my boss that there isn't enough work at the fuzzy bunny factory, after all.

EDIT: lol, the filter doesn't like my sexual references.  Oh well.

Edited by Karaipantsu, November 28 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#22 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 28 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostKaraipantsu, on November 28 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 28 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

No. It's still f2p. I think he was trying to say if you're not a paying customer you have no right to complain. Which isn't true.
Even if you're a f2p player, once the game goes live, you have the right to complain about something you think is a problem.
You just better be able to back your complaint with evidence. On the flip side, being a paid player doesn't absolve you from providing proof that your complaint has basis.

Yeah, I didn't mean it as "paying".  That came out wrong.  I meant that we're currently basically unpaid employees getting eyes and play time on a product before anyone else, so we don't get to complain about not having as much fun as we were expecting just because we're being forced to test something that we don't paticularly like.  I don't get to complain to my boss that there isn't enough work at the fuzzy bunny factory, after all.

EDIT: lol, the filter doesn't like my sexual references.  Oh well.
Ah yes.
That makes sense.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#23 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 28 2012 - 11:03 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 27 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

View Postz121231211, on November 27 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Hmm, why not just add an "Average Mech Level" column in the server browser_
Because you could spend a bajillion hours into a single Lvl. 20 mech and have eight Lvl. 1 mechs, and that makes your average level 3.

See the flaw_

Then a proper approach should take into consideration booth player's experience (literally this time..) and mech level as an average in the system. I'd also put an special emphasis on whether the pilot has leveled up any mech/s to the max.

Edited by The_Silencer, November 28 2012 - 11:04 AM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#24 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 28 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostThe_Silencer, on November 28 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 27 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

View Postz121231211, on November 27 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Hmm, why not just add an "Average Mech Level" column in the server browser_
Because you could spend a bajillion hours into a single Lvl. 20 mech and have eight Lvl. 1 mechs, and that makes your average level 3.

See the flaw_

Then a proper approach should take into consideration booth player's experience (literally this time..) and mech level as an average in the system. I'd also put an special emphasis on whether the pilot has leveled up any mech/s to the max.
And how do you propose to quantify a players experience_

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#25 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 28 2012 - 11:17 AM

Having a look at the player' stats may be agood start (eating here).

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#26 String

String

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 28 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

And how do you propose to quantify a players experience_

How does a matchmaker do it_

Edited by String, November 28 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#27 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 28 2012 - 12:01 PM

Well quakelive does it by having 'tiers' of matches. With Tier 4 being the uber 10-year veteran demigods. So good consecutive performance will boost you up a tier. When that happens, you will likely go from the top of the end-game score board to the bottom. Seems to be the only way to do it.

Edited by ReachH, November 28 2012 - 12:02 PM.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#28 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 28 2012 - 01:56 PM

A ladder system would probably be best. The number of rungs I cannot say. But 4 seems to be a good number.

Newbie, Below Avg, Above Avg, Pro

Granted this does require a good number of players to do this.. because you are segregating your populace into 4 separate locations.

#29 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:12 AM

Someone had mentioned the mech proficiency scores and such.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#30 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:20 AM

So came up with this in another thread but it's much more relevant here so i'm posting it here too, doesn't really solve the problem that much because skill may not translate thru different mechs and your allowed to change them. Basically you could be the best Scout but the Worst Brawler.

((Kill+assist)/death) * damage ratio) + (Skill increase * time in combat per mech)

This seems to be the easiest way to test a players skill for a certain mech. higher the number the better.
Use the kills and deaths from the mech your evaluating not every mech.
(time in combat would be a number that represents the total time you have played that certain mech since the last skill increase calculation)
(skill increase would be a percentage that would account for player getting better and subtract time from you playing essentially)

((Kill+assist)/death) * damage ratio) - player level) + (Skill increase * time in combat)
(player level would be the sum of a player mechs. It would be given in a numbered value like "player level" 1 for a level 20 mech 1.5 for a 20 and level 10 and level ones don't count)
(time in combat would be a number that represents the total time you have played since the last skill increase calculation)
(skill increase would be a percentage that would account for player getting better and subtract time from you playing essentially)

That's as good as I can make skill translate into math.

Essentially it takes your aptitude at getting kills, assists, not dying, avoiding damage while dealing damage and weighs it against the time you play while then calculating for an increase in skill by essentially subtracting time you have played.
(not literally just mathematically)

The player level one will essentially see how good of a overall player you are by weighing all the data against the levels of your mechs, This may mean however that you have an excellent top of the rank scout pilot but the worst overall pilot because of you have .1 k/ds with every other mech and they are somehow level 20. This proves a problem however because your able to switch mechs...there isn't really a way to account for that.

Of course right now the numbers don't mean much because people K/ds are insane due to clans entering pubs and uneven games. This also only calculates skill for TDM and DM. Skill in OBJ based games is entirely different.

Edited by Necro, November 29 2012 - 04:04 AM.

#31 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:42 AM

Personally, I'd say XP/Minutes Played is a better way... although that risks lumping in people who are EU-gathering machines with brutal killers.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#32 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 29 2012 - 04:16 AM

Necro, don't dare to post such an small text again in your posts... Many of us got pretty traumatized by that overdose of small text in the game's UI...

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users