HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How does everyone feel about the current selection of maps_

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 forrestang

forrestang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:25 PM

General topic.....  

I have some opinions about the maps, and I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the maps, good and bad_  Are there tweaks that need to be made, maps that need to be removed or replaced_

#2 forrestang

forrestang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:27 PM

I bring this up because I really dislike the map "Origin."  

It feels just too cluttered for some reason.  The other maps, I am more or less ok with.

Does anyone get that feeling about Origin as well_

#3 PlagueDoctor

PlagueDoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:40 PM

I love the center of Origin, but the base shelves feel awkward. I would kill for a map utilizes the jump pads more, with multiple levels. Something like a sewer map would be a blast if it were similar to the center of Origin (excluding the two EU nodes)

Also obligatory snow map.
Posted Image
Beeware the Bee-class, Buzzin' and Bashin'
(Fear the Swarm)

#4 JonnyO2

JonnyO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:45 PM

I have to admit that I can't remember which map is named what but I do feel that some maps are too cluttered and claustrophobic - my Bruiser mech shouldn't be getting stuck on things so easily (I know, it's probably just me) in some of these tunnely, close-quartersy maps.

I also think some maps are too... monotone. I get that each map has a color pallete, but it almost seems like some maps have just one color, which makes it hard to know where you are, especially in the heat of battle...

Which is why my favorite is Bazaar/Sahara, because the open-ness and flatness make it easier for me to have "situational awareness."

#5 forrestang

forrestang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:48 PM

View PostJonnyO2, on November 27 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

- my Bruiser mech shouldn't be getting stuck on things so easily (I know, it's probably just me) in some of these tunnely, close-quartersy maps.

Which is why my favorite is Bazaar/Sahara, because the open-ness and flatness make it easier for me to have "situational awareness."

I know EXACTLY what you mean about getting stuck on things (and before someone mentions it, yeah it's probably just me).  

I think all of the maps are generally ok, save for "Origin."

#6 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 27 2012 - 09:00 PM

Bazaar/Sahara has some pretty big problems.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#7 PlagueDoctor

PlagueDoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 09:09 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 27 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

Bazaar/Sahara has some pretty big problems.

Wow jerk way to diss my favorite map (please get rid of the choke points)
Posted Image
Beeware the Bee-class, Buzzin' and Bashin'
(Fear the Swarm)

#8 Omega22

Omega22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 09:20 PM

Needs more variety in terrain and enviornment maps.. as this is in beta , iam pretty sure our Hawken team will give us new maps in the months to follow !!!

I see DeaD HawkeN PilotS and they all are  NooBS !

#9 NBShoot_me

NBShoot_me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 09:39 PM

Bored.  Needs more maps.  But, hopefully, that'll come w/ time.

#10 Alphalance

Alphalance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAppleloosa

Posted December 07 2012 - 01:32 PM

I don't like Origin, but I feel that may just be because I haven't gotten the hang of it as so many other players seem to. I love Bazaar cause it's a more traditional map, much more straight forward and level. I like the city scape one with all it's back allies. I've heard some great stuff from players about all the maps really, but Origin is more debated, usually negative though

Posted Image

We are the Brotherhood. We are a clan of Strength. We are a clan of Solidarity.

We are a clan of Steel. And our steel is as black as our blood.

Join us at http://blacksteelbrotherhood.enjin.com/home

#11 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted December 07 2012 - 02:00 PM

For the most part I like the current maps, but I do feel like more variety would be a good thing. At the moment the prevailing theme seems to be very tight, cluttered maps with lots of cover readily available. The only exception would be Bazaar/Sahara (Anyone know why they changed the names, anyway_), but only in some areas. For mechs like the Bruiser that do better in open terrain, there don't really seem to be any maps that provide the opportunity for them to use this strength, whereas for A-classes like Scouts or Infiltrators there are almost always opportunities for them to use that cover to get in close and put you in a world of hurt.

So good maps so far, but more variety please.

Edited by DM30, December 07 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#12 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 07 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'm surprised to see Bazaar getting so much love...
Do people not realize the high spawn has the huge disadvantage of all it's entrances to the Silos/AA/EU being choke points_ And no, that is not balanced out by the fact that the low-spawn approach is so open. Fact is, when you have teams of roughly equal skill, if the low-spawn team grabs S2/AA first, they can easily capture, hold and defend the other points because the high-spawn team is always having to pass through choke points.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#13 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted December 07 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 07 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

I'm surprised to see Bazaar getting so much love...
Do people not realize the high spawn has the huge disadvantage of all it's entrances to the Silos/AA/EU being choke points_ And no, that is not balanced out by the fact that the low-spawn approach is so open. Fact is, when you have teams of roughly equal skill, if the low-spawn team grabs S2/AA first, they can easily capture, hold and defend the other points because the high-spawn team is always having to pass through choke points.

Missile Assault on Baazar is also just as simple as holding S1 and S2. That part of the map is locked down by whoever grabs it first. It takes a few seconds to get from AA to S1.

Posted Image

#14 fwip

fwip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationFuture Pittsburgh

Posted December 07 2012 - 03:52 PM

No mention of Uptown_ I love it for Team DM - all of the corridors and rooms make it easy to set up flanks just by looking at your radar. I suppose that wouldn't be a benefit in high-level play when you're all communicating properly anyway.
Posted Image

#15 Decoy101x

Decoy101x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationPlainfield, Illinois

Posted December 07 2012 - 05:48 PM

i Love prosk. i think everyone loves prosk.

Its like the icon map of Hawken

Edited by Decoy101x, December 07 2012 - 05:48 PM.

Crackin' eggs like we crack smoke. Smoke crack_ No! That's bad!

Posted Image

#16 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted December 07 2012 - 09:53 PM

I don't mind the maps actually ... I want more though. As a poster said before, more jump pads. This just makes me remember that game mod in Half Life where you shot discs and bounced all over the place (can't remember what its called XD)
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users