HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Game Mode: Greed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:46 PM

Anyone remember Unreal Tournament 3's Titan Pack_ Perhaps the ONLY two good things that came out of that were the two game modes: Greed and Betrayal. I can completely see either one working in Hawken, but think Greed has the most potential to be a game mode / play type for Hawken:

How it works:

In Greed players collect the shining pieces of energy dropped by defeated enemies. If you yourself are killed, you not only drop your own piece of energy, but also all the pieces of energy from all the other players you happen to have killed. To keep things from getting totally crazy, if a player has multiple pieces of energy they'll combine in sets of five as a single blue energy ball and then at ten as a vibrant red ball of energy.

The objective, similar to Seige, is to take your collected pieces of energy and turn them in on a platform inside your enemy's base. Once that's done, you score points for each piece of energy you turned in and then instantly teleport back to your own base to start all over again. This is a Clan war, so the EU in this case is being gathered/returned specifically to the enemy base in order to overload its support and defense systems. Once overloaded (end-game), the winning clan's "waiting" army of mechs come in through the now downed shields and destroys the rival clan's base. The timed match ends without overtime and the winning team is determined by the total number of pieces returned.

Thoughts_

Edited by c0mad0r, November 29 2012 - 11:51 AM.

It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#2 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:49 PM

I remember Halo having a similar gametype.
Never enjoyed it myself, but my friends seemed to like enough.
Consider me neutral. :P

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#3 Surio

Surio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 09:06 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing this as a game type. I used to play this in UT3 with some friends of mine, so it would be cool to play it again in a different setting. How long do you think each match should be_ I could see 10 - 15 minutes being plenty with how hectic it gets.

#4 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 09:06 PM

I feel like getting inside the enemy base would be difficult in Hawken to the point of being impossible in fair matches.

How about a more King of the Hill approach_ Have three "hills", biggest deposit at match end wins each hill. Team with the most controlled hills at the end wins.

#5 Surio

Surio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 09:13 PM

View PostD20Face, on November 27 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

I feel like getting inside the enemy base would be difficult in Hawken to the point of being impossible in fair matches.

How about a more King of the Hill approach_ Have three "hills", biggest deposit at match end wins each hill. Team with the most controlled hills at the end wins.

Having hills would probably make more sense. And I agree with you - getting into the enemy's base probably would be difficult. I think they would have to make a separate map for this game type, though. I can't see the current set of maps working out very well with this idea.

#6 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 10:35 PM

View PostD20Face, on November 27 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Missile might as well be "King of the Hill" : Stay in a designated area of a map to gain points... Missile.
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

#7 ZaLiTHkA

ZaLiTHkA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted November 28 2012 - 01:15 AM

View Postc0mad0r, on November 27 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

Anyone remember Unreal Tournament 3's Titan Pack_ Perhaps the ONLY two good things that came out of that were the two game modes: Greed and Betrayal.
I loved the Titan Pack for UT3, just thinking about those game modes makes me want to go play it again.. :)

With regards to a Greed game mode in Hawken, perhaps it could be done as a modification to the 'healing' orb that drops after getting a kill.. With a few tweaks to make it still feel somewhat balanced of course.

I think it could be done quite effectively with the following key points:
  • While a Mech is damaged, the orb repairs the Mech.
  • While a Mech is not damaged, the orb will apply as a 'boost' to overall health and/or damage.

View Postc0mad0r, on November 27 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

Missile might as well be "King of the Hill" : Stay in a designated area of a map to gain points... Missile.
That just makes me think of MS's old Monster Truck Madness 2.. :D Could be interesting with Mechs. :D

#8 iamhoshi

iamhoshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 28 2012 - 04:38 AM

I remember "Arena" from UT2004 and UT3. every player had 1 life per round, also you had limited ammo and no power ups available. that was the best game mode ever created.

#9 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 07:34 AM

View Postc0mad0r, on November 27 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

King of the Hill works completely differently.

As the kills rack up people gain points in their mechs. When a person thinks they have enough points they pump them all into a hill. If the other team ever has a player with more points, they can steal the hill by depositing all of them.

Since you need 2 out of 3 hills, you can't just wait till the end of the match to deposit.

View Postiamhoshi, on November 28 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

I remember "Arena" from UT2004 and UT3. every player had 1 life per round, also you had limited ammo and no power ups available. that was the best game mode ever created.
Always hated arena modes in games, but I'm never against more options.

Edited by D20Face, November 28 2012 - 07:34 AM.

#10 Stealth_303

Stealth_303

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 28 2012 - 08:01 AM

View Postiamhoshi, on November 28 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

Well said - it was used in Black Ops and MW3 also. In those versions you had to defuse a bomb each short round... I think it would work.
Posted Image

#11 iamhoshi

iamhoshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 28 2012 - 10:19 AM

it's search & destroy.

#12 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 28 2012 - 10:24 AM

Yes, and yes. Greed sounds brilliant, and Arena would encourage more patient play. Less boosting, and more walking. However none of the maps are currently very good for this (or DM for that matter).

If you think about the kind of varied terrain you get in certain fps games, and try to imagine how you would translate that into 'giant mech terrain', its a bit difficult.

Hopefully Space station and Hawken Virus themes will give mappers the free reign to make whatever they want.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#13 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:50 AM

Remember it_ I got to beta test it. :P

Posted Image

That said, I'm not sure how you'd make it "make sense" in the Hawkenverse, given that in Greed you dropped skulls basically. I mean, you could always make it EU, but what would the EU "charge" or do, given that in other game modes it seems that there's always some "objective" in the sense that in MA and Siege, a tower is always getting blown up.

Maybe the EU is to overload the enemy tower or something...

Edited by DarkPulse, November 29 2012 - 02:52 AM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#14 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 10:02 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 29 2012 - 02:50 AM, said:

Remember it_ I got to beta test it. :P

That said, I'm not sure how you'd make it "make sense" in the Hawkenverse, given that in Greed you dropped skulls basically. I mean, you could always make it EU, but what would the EU "charge" or do, given that in other game modes it seems that there's always some "objective" in the sense that in MA and Siege, a tower is always getting blown up.

Maybe the EU is to overload the enemy tower or something...

UT3 was the ONLY game I ever played competitively and it was so much work that I didn't want to ever do it again (Hated playing Versus K1 in vCTF).

What would the EU "charge" do_ Well, first you need to read my description of Greed in the OP as I modified it to conform to Hawken. Second, it is a Clan war, so the EU in this case is being gathered/returned specifically to the enemy base in order to overload its support and defense systems. Once overloaded (end-game), the winning clan's "waiting" army of mechs come in through the now downed shields and destroys the rival clan's base.

I'm personally tired of exploding phallic towers, so I'd personally suggest something similar to the army invasion described above, but you get the point.

#15 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 29 2012 - 11:08 AM

Heh, that'd work. You'd get to go massacre them for like 30 seconds or so, like TF2's "Loser State" where the enemy can't fight back and you get to mercilessly massacre them.

As an aside, UT3 and the Unreal Deal Pack are 66% off Steam this weekend. All the Unreal games for $13.50 is a no brainer in my book. :D
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#16 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 11:54 AM

I still play UT3 from time to time with my old Clan, but it is a dead game as a lot of people went back to UT2k4 or just play UT3 for Duel.... I rarely see a vCTF populated and there is maybe 1-2 Warfare matches at any given time.

Hawken is my replacement for UT desires though, which is why I think a revival of some of those gametypes here would be awesome.

#17 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:39 PM

Actually I think Tribes 2 had it done very well. It wasn't only a team game but also a DM game.

Team play and Solo play had the same cap point.. and there was only 1 point in the middle of the map for it. So it turned into each team having guys on D around it while others played the parameter for collecting flags. It was crazy fun because even in this game snipers were very valid. Just as you were boosting up to the cap point a sniper would pick you off and you would see dozens of flags fly everywhere and everyone go ape shhhhh over the cap point trying to get the flags now themselves.

Though I think you didn't see 5 count flags unless there was over 10 flags dropped. This way there was more stuff to still pick up. Not just an easy 5 point flag to pick up. I believe their flags went up to 25 counts and you got bonus points for the larger number of flags you turned in and also having the highest turn in. This promoted hanging onto the flags for massive point gains... which lead to great moments with either chasing ppl and them getting it in the pot.. or dying so close yet so far away. It just stated who in game also had the most flags.. though not how many they had, if I remember right.

Truly loved that game mode. More games need this.. and just 1 constant cap point. Halo's random spawning one was more annoying than good. It just gave luck a chance at winning.. don't need a rng factor in something that can be difficult already.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users