HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Emp an enemy ship

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 10:40 PM

If it doesn't do anything should and if it does do something why don't i know about it.

Aka, should an emp be able to halt an enemy's battle ship/turn off a weapon_

I think it would be a cool addition, might make the emp OP tho.

#2 PlagueDoctor

PlagueDoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 10:53 PM

View PostNecro, on November 27 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

I think it would be a cool addition, might make the emp OP tho.

Like the EMP isn't already OP :P
Posted Image
Beeware the Bee-class, Buzzin' and Bashin'
(Fear the Swarm)

#3 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 27 2012 - 10:55 PM

Stopping a ship would make it stupid useful, and in a comp environment, that would pretty much make EMP a required item (though I'm fairly sure they'll already be required). This of course is bad balance.

As for shutting down weapons on the ship... Sure, why not_
But sure seems like a waste of an EMP to shut down a battleship turret for 4 seconds.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#4 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 11:05 PM

it would make pretty damn useful, but it would be cool if it did something to it. Same with emping other things (AA/eu station)

Although that's getting into realism and not gameplay mechanics but if it could be done in a balanced way I'd welcome the addition.

#5 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 06:03 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 27 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

Stopping a ship would make it stupid useful, and in a comp environment, that would pretty much make EMP a required item (though I'm fairly sure they'll already be required). This of course is bad balance.

As for shutting down weapons on the ship... Sure, why not_
But sure seems like a waste of an EMP to shut down a battleship turret for 4 seconds.

I have to agree with AJK on this. If it stopped the ship then organized players would just cycle EMPs till they shot the ship down and locking out the turrets for a few seconds has very limited use.
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#6 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted November 28 2012 - 07:27 AM

As it is EMPs disable items, especially turrets. I don't see why they shouldn't disable a ships weapons too, but not the ship ... that is just silly ...
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#7 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 28 2012 - 09:23 AM

I reckon it should stop the turrets just for kicks. Though I wonder if its hard to hit the thing with an EMP. On one hand, its kinda slow and huge, on another it is pretty far away and the EMP is kinda slow.

#8 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 28 2012 - 10:13 AM

View PostDreizehn, on November 28 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

I reckon it should stop the turrets just for kicks. Though I wonder if its hard to hit the thing with an EMP. On one hand, its kinda slow and huge, on another it is pretty far away and the EMP is kinda slow.
Not to hard. I've done it several times. It's a little hard to tell if it actually did anything though. I've always been too far away to see if the weapons were firing, see the visual effect of being EMP'd or just done it when the turrets weren't even shooting.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#9 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 12:56 PM

Once i fired an emp at the ship and yes it's easy to hit it and it stopped so i thought the EMP stopped it, but in reality we had just launched our ship too.

#10 Titzilla

Titzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationBehind Cover

Posted November 28 2012 - 11:39 PM

It'd be funny to see people chain emping the battleship and just seeing it crash into the map because of shut down controls. Then it kills everyone in the explosion and changes the entire map composition. While it will never happen, it'd be pretty interesting to see.
Posted Image

#11 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:12 AM

EMP should disable the ships engine and make it crash. It's realistic_

BALANCE

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#12 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:28 AM

YES! it's useless to sit there and fire away at it with rockets and HEATs

Just EMP it...makes it much more fair as every player can do it.

#13 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 29 2012 - 03:21 AM

How about this: If the whole team EMPs it, it nosedives into the ground, killing everyone on the server.

Then it kills the server, too.

You get an achievement for it: "The Roof is on Fire!"
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#14 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 09:26 AM

Actually, I have an expansion on that idea.  The BS initially starts out too high for most weapons to hit, with only long range weapons (heat, sabot, TOW) capable of hitting it. If you EMP it twice, or something, it would lose enough altitude to be engagable with medium range weapons (AR/SMC/Vuls & maybe Hellfires).  EMP it another two times, and you could engage it with all weapons.

#15 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 29 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

How about this: If the whole team EMPs it, it nosedives into the ground, killing everyone on the server.

Then it kills the server, too.

You get an achievement for it: "The Roof is on Fire!"
  hahaha. I like this.

View PostKaraipantsu, on November 29 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Actually, I have an expansion on that idea.  The BS initially starts out too high for most weapons to hit, with only long range weapons (heat, sabot, TOW) capable of hitting it. If you EMP it twice, or something, it would lose enough altitude to be engagable with medium range weapons (AR/SMC/Vuls & maybe Hellfires).  EMP it another two times, and you could engage it with all weapons.
hmm, most weapons are hitscan, so travel time doesn't matter for this. Its just the heavy hitting ones, but that can be learnt with a bit of practice in compensating for the movement (and for other things *wink wink*). The engine is a huge target anyways ...

BTW, you also have 2m30s of battleship travel time. If a team's coordinated and full, I've seen one taking down in about 1m30s and less (CBE2 though ... haven't been able to play much Siege this time roundP)
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#16 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hitscan can still be told "hey, you can't hit this if it's at 3rd altitude".  It'd be a function of the map, not the weapons.

#17 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 06:55 AM

View PostKaraipantsu, on November 29 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

Hitscan can still be told "hey, you can't hit this if it's at 3rd altitude".  It'd be a function of the map, not the weapons.
Well if they want to do that, they can just move the ships to the Skybox as opposed to putting it in the level space. Wouldn't be hard to do after all, since the skybox basically is a totally sealed-off, separate worldspace from the level proper, and the engine just renders whatever is in the skybox as the sky.

Edited by DarkPulse, November 30 2012 - 06:55 AM.

#18 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 07:49 AM

Basically, yeah, that's what I'm talking about.  But you could bring it partially OUT of the skybox with EMPs to be shot at by certain weapons.

#19 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 10:12 AM

Well, from a technical POV, I'm not sure if that's possible. As I said, the Skybox is self-enclosed, and they'd have to somehow have some kind of volume that would detect when the ship is over it, skybox wise, as well as where it "should" be if it were in the actual level space, and then, assuming the EMPs hit, drop it down fully into level space.

Usually, stuff in the skybox is totally cut off from the rest of the level space.

Perhaps you'd understand it better if I showed you the technicals behind a skybox, so here:

EDIT: Or not. I'm thinking of how Skyboxes used to work in older iterations of Unreal Engine, so here's a video for that instead:

Edited by DarkPulse, November 30 2012 - 10:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users