HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Map Suggestion: UNSS Unity (Name pending)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 31 2011 - 07:39 PM

I got this idea for a map that I think goes quite well with the futuristic post-apocalypse setting of the game. I made a quick sketch of what I had in mind although I stopped when I started disliking how it was coming out. I thought a lot about the background story behind the map and think it does a fair job capturing the atmosphere of a futuristic dystopia following the fall of civilization.

United Nations Space Station (UNSS) "Unity" - If you can think of a better name please tell me.

Posted Image

The map is set around a giant derelict space station that came crashing back down to Earth after years of neglect after it was abandoned during the upheaval that has resulted in the world we see in the game. I meant to a demolished urban sprawl around it but didn't get around to it.

My idea of the story behind it:

The UNSS Unity was built during a golden age of man, when peace prevailed and the world looked towards the future with great hope and grand dreams. The space station 'Unity' was built as a joint endeavor by the many nations of the world, it was meant to symbolize what could be accomplished by a world united with a single goal and purpose. Besides its symbolic value, it was to be a massive dry dock for the construction for interstellar space vessels to be used for the establishment of permanent colonies on Mars. It was also to provide much needed living space to alleviate the increasingly over-populated world.

The larger upper rings of the space station was were the commercial and industrial elements were located, where the docking ports, manufacturing, and dry dock were located, as well as the operational command center of the station. The lower rings were the residential zones where people lived, each ring was mandated to a nation and treated as sovereign territory, the result been that the station became a micro-representation of the Earth, with each ring having its own unique culture and architecture representative of the nation/region that controlled it.

For many years the dream that was 'Unity' endured, but times changed and the spirit of cooperation between the powers of the world began to unravel, as tension built over issues of resources and territory the mood on the station turned sour as people became distrustful and edgy. When conflict became inevitable many people abandoned the station as it became a vulnerable target that could easily be destroyed or blockaded from supplies.

The station was later completely abandoned when open hostilities began, and as the world fell into chaos the 'Unity' continued to orbit the Earth as a sad reminder of what had once been. Finally, after years of neglect the power generators in the station failed and the symbol of mans shattered dreams fell back to Earth in a spectacular ball of fire, the impact wiping out everything within miles around it.

The wreck has now become just another battlefield as rival groups vie for the advance technology and material that can be salvaged from its ruins.

----------------------

One aspect of this map would be that what had once been walls and roofs would become the floor that players would walk upon, and there can be a big diversity of architecture as each 'ring' could be decorated differently based upon different cultures. Much of the station would be destroyed or damaged creating many paths and holes that can be exploited, and makes the concept of how the map should be designed quite mailable should the developers consider it.

#2 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 02 2011 - 04:24 AM

I do like the concept, indeed. :)

Maybe instead of a crashed space station would be better for the sake of the game mechanics something more flat as well as with less geometry complexity, as for example some sort of space cruise and which ccould be pseudo-burried into the ground with aproximately 10 or 15 degrees of pitch.

The crashed space-ship on the top of a mountain covered with snow plus an scorched sky with lightning and so forth could result in a pretty cool and scary environment.

Keep these good ideas coming up!. ;)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#3 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted June 09 2011 - 12:18 PM

I don't know about the geometry of it, but looking at the screenshots of the game this map concept would fit in SO well IMO  8-) .

Trying to think of an idea that has lava pits but isn't some Mordor rip-off, maybe a giant foundry of some sort.

#4 LordPorkSword

LordPorkSword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouth Auzzie

Posted June 09 2011 - 08:16 PM

I posted in the E3 thread that I'd love ta see a map based in low orbit with a destroyed cruiser as the map.  Your suggestion could work with this as well. Rather than it being set on the planet surface have it in peices in orbit.  One central chunk, similar to your depiction, and also some other chunks that Mech's can boost across to.
"The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
Unreal Old Friends

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users