HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Turrets_

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: What kind of turret would you use the most_ (92 member(s) have cast votes)

What kind of turret would you use the most_

1. Attack (31 votes [36.47%])

Percentage of vote: 36.47%

2. Defence (31 votes [36.47%])

Percentage of vote: 36.47%

3. Recon (5 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

4. Radar (10 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

5. Ill never use them (8 votes [9.41%])

Percentage of vote: 9.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LazyFailKid

LazyFailKid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationDelta, BC

Posted June 01 2011 - 03:15 PM

Pardon me if ive missed someone post about this already but I havent see anyone talking about the turrets we saw in the video.

I would personally like to see Attack turrets(gun, missle, etc (powerful but slow turning speed)), Defence turrets(anti-missle, radar invisability in certain area, etc(you should be able to restock your ammo supplies here too)), and Recon(This would have some kind of ability like it can release a satellite that after the 30 second or so actvation phase can see any area but the farther it goes from the turret the worse the quality gets and you have to be close to the tower to use it(im guessing it should be like the remote spy cam thing in the Special Equipment Suggestions Compendium but with much longer range and a top down view), etc)/Radar turrets(Gives lots of radar range,etc). Also radar towers will have 2x-3x the range of the Recon turrets to make it worth getting.

Also how should they be made/summoned/depoyed_ I'm guessing from the video that there will be certain guard post like things that can be made into your tower of choice with some kind of limit(Any ideas_). I also think should also be some kind of way to deactivate enemy towers and steal them ;) (maybe we could use the hacking tool from the Special Equipment Suggestions Compendium_).

So what would you guys think or what kind of turrets would like to see_
Also what tower would you use the most_(Recon gets my vote  :D )

Side-note:Yay, 1st post  :D

#2 Raex

Raex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUS PRE-APOCALYPTIC WAR

Posted September 18 2012 - 06:08 AM

Why not all of them. They can all be useful in some for or another.

Take it a step farther and turn a mech into a turret or recon tower. Sacrifice for team work is what makes games more complex and interesting.
[:Call Sign:] Raex

#3 Flamel

Flamel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 05:23 PM

I like turrets if you can interact with them. They make the atmosphere of the game more exciting, in that you can be involved in the environment rather than just having it as a backdrop to the fight.

#4 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 08:09 AM

Yes please.

We must have different types of turrets, sentry guns and emplacements for strategic defense.

#5 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:10 PM

I voted "Ill never use them", and while that is a bit of a lie, the point I'd like to make is that being completely shut down by a turret is not fun, even if it's only a few match-ups. Ever try playing as a Scout against Engineer turrets in TF2_ Situational, yes, but the turret user can be doing literally nothing, yet still completely ruin the enjoyment of another player.

Turrets can be good to increase depth in gameplay, but I'm just here to say: Go easy on the turrets please.

Posted Image

#6 mancandy

mancandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted September 27 2012 - 07:49 AM

I think that the turrets of all kinds would be amazing and add a whole new level of depth. However i agree that i don't want them to be anything like the one's in TF2 or similarly styled ones that take no skill to use. I think what we need is a large variety of turrets, because there is so much potential.

Recon and and radar are very basic, but useful, so i'd definetly like to see them.

Having a variety of defense and attack turrets would be very fun, as long as they are only meant as supplemental to your mech. Even if there could be load outs based entirely on turrets (which i support) have them still be reliant on the player's skill.

Example: Any attack turret capable of any potentially effective damage needs an aiming aid. This could be a laser gun that your mech has that doesn't do any damage, but lights up the enemy as the target. Or tracking beacons. A magnetic thing that you can throw a short distance and if you hit your opponent, your turrets can target him better. Emphasis on short distance.

Also i think another good way to limit turrets with potentially effective firepower is to have their ammo be scarce. Like trigger happy kid playing dead space scarce.

#7 Konner

Konner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted September 27 2012 - 07:53 AM

View PostImmie, on September 19 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

I voted "Ill never use them", and while that is a bit of a lie, the point I'd like to make is that being completely shut down by a turret is not fun, even if it's only a few match-ups. Ever try playing as a Scout against Engineer turrets in TF2_ Situational, yes, but the turret user can be doing literally nothing, yet still completely ruin the enjoyment of another player.

Turrets can be good to increase depth in gameplay, but I'm just here to say: Go easy on the turrets please.

This man has it.

#8 Namru9

Namru9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted September 27 2012 - 10:04 AM

I would set defense, and preferably in a place around a corner or behind an obstruction.  That way it can be used in a lure attempt, get your enemy in a chase believing you are retreating, only for him to go around a corner and find a turret waiting for him/her.  Then while the turret is shooting from behind, turn around and unload.  It is very hard to fight a battle on 2 fronts, so says Sun Tzu.

Posted Image

#9 Nexus06

Nexus06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationVentura California

Posted October 10 2012 - 08:24 PM

A cool little orbital turret would be quite handy.

#10 theLAgunner240

theLAgunner240

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 08:41 AM

who cares about turrets you are a big lumbering mechanical bada$$ with balls of steel (literally)  and guns for hands!

#11 RudaForce

RudaForce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted October 13 2012 - 04:05 PM

I chose attack mostly because a few extra kills/assists would be most appreciated, but I would probably use all of them, based on the situation.

Posted Image

"I don't have a favourite quote."

#12 ProphetZ

ProphetZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted November 07 2012 - 01:19 AM

I was just suggesting a method of deploying and repairing turrets!

http://community.pla...dpost__p__85103

#13 SilverWolf_008

SilverWolf_008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:35 PM

i dont get it

#14 Takachan

Takachan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 11:35 AM

I like the turret-puppy idea.
When repairing your self, repair the turret.
or ~ if the turret had it's own defense (can only be used when not engaged / taking damage)
and ~ in this case if the turret also helped repair mech.

I'd also like to be able to apply a turret to a wall / target a location for deploy (if it is not the self-orbiting type). This would be awesome in choke points where they (and idiots repairing themselves in the middle of an alley) would be out of the way.

#15 camtheking20

camtheking20

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted July 10 2014 - 11:43 AM

Heal

#16 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted July 10 2014 - 12:00 PM

IMO certain types would have to be restricted to maps with fixed spawns.

Otherwise, you may get sitautions where people spawn in the middle of a bunch of turrets, or where there are no good spawn points because the map is blanketed with enemy items...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users