HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Post your Mech and Strategy

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Spawny

Spawny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:04 PM

So, everyone around here usually has a favourite mech (or 2) to play around in.

Could you pleae be arsed to share your wealth of experience with the players who are less skilled than you and write a short/long guide of some sort_

I would start, but that would require skill and I'm pretty sure there's a lot of players having more of that than I have.
Alpha 2 B-Class Bruiser
Closed Beta 1 C-Class Brawler
Closed Beta 2 A-Class Berzerker
Closed Beta 3 A-Class Scout

#2 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:10 PM

Any TOW equipped mech is pretty easy: find cover, dodge out, fire rocket, dodge back.  Repeat until Kill count increments.

I personally main Bruiser, which requires a dedication to taking in the face while locking and launching Hellfires right into your enemy's stupid face.  It's specializes at mid range, which is a sweet spot that's hard to maintain as it straddles the "run and hide" range that makes pursuit difficult if your enemy decides to bail, and the range where an A-Class is just going to jet up on you and flak your face off.

I find it's best to play a support role.  Soften up targets with Hellfires for the quick A-classes to jump on 'em, and nab kills from close range with the Vulcan.

#3 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:12 PM

the stratgies i use dont revolve around the mechs im using but more so around the mech im trying to kill,  for example. i cant trade with a rocketeer on outright damage when im in my A class, but instead i have to kite them or poke him down with my tow/GL since they have no mid air burst weapon to counter with.

and of course my favorite approach to taking out a C class is emp, beserker mode, HE charge and shoot until they die.

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#4 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 29 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostBuDeKai, on November 29 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

the stratgies i use dont revolve around the mechs im using but more so around the mech im trying to kill,  for example. i cant trade with a rocketeer on outright damage when im in my A class, but instead i have to kite them or poke him down with my tow/GL since they have no mid air burst weapon to counter with.

and of course my favorite approach to taking out a C class is emp, beserker mode, HE charge and shoot until they die.
I'd have to agree with this. If your enemy/enemy team is a big, beefy C-Class, you'll want something faster and zippier. Likewise, a lighter A-Class enemy is usually best brought down by something that can take a few hits, because they can't afford to.

B-Class, of course, goes either way.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#5 Prodygy

Prodygy

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationIllal

Posted November 29 2012 - 01:54 PM

I mostly play Assault, and I must say that mobility is your best friend. Be aware of your surroundings at all times, be checking radar, make sure you have enough fuel to get out of a sticky situation, and so forth.

Anytime you play with the AR, use burst shots because the AR becomes more inaccurate as you keep firing.

In any mech, though, be a team player. If you group up with teammates (unless in deathmatch) then you'll be able to do a lot more than if you were by yourself.

Just a lot of common sense things that people tend to forget in the heat of battle :)
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." - Winston Churchill

#6 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:41 PM

Well it used to be : Sharpshooter>aim across map>shoot anything that isn't friendly>PROFIT !
Now it's : Rocketeer>middle mouse>lock on>fire hellfires and spam seeker>PROFIT²!
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#7 nightsky

nightsky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:32 PM

View PostKaraipantsu, on November 29 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Any TOW equipped mech is pretty easy: find cover, dodge out, fire rocket, dodge back.  Repeat until Kill count increments.

I personally main Bruiser, which requires a dedication to taking in the face while locking and launching Hellfires right into your enemy's stupid face.  It's specializes at mid range, which is a sweet spot that's hard to maintain as it straddles the "run and hide" range that makes pursuit difficult if your enemy decides to bail, and the range where an A-Class is just going to jet up on you and flak your face off.

I find it's best to play a support role.  Soften up targets with Hellfires for the quick A-classes to jump on 'em, and nab kills from close range with the Vulcan.
Karai, as a fellow Bruiser enthusiast, I am honestly curious why you prefer the gimped Vulcan over the SMC. I'm not trying to sound like a smartass, merely trying to get a second opinion on the subject of this mech's build. As has been covered repeatedly in the past, the Vulcan puts out way too much heat for the damage it does versus the SMC. I've found it to be utterly impotent at short-to-medium range when faced with a halfway decent Scout player that will scoot right up to you and lolflak you to wreckage in seconds. The SMC isn't really a great option in that scenario either, but you can keep a target painted with bullets for considerably longer than with the Vulcan, meaning more DPS and potentially less shrapnel in your cockpit.

Assault - "Vae Victis" | Brawler - "Dominus" | Sharpshooter - "Memento Mori"

Bruiser - "Non Serviam" | Berserker - "Furia"

Posted Image

It's all good in the 'Hood.

#8 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 07:26 PM

I don't, but goddamn I love that sound.  It's almost like the mech equivalent of intercourse.  And the Vulc is still viable in close range, just not as useful at any OTHER range, but I rely on Hellfires more often than not.

Also, scouts are wildly OP at the moment, so that's not really a comparison.  I'd put the vulc up against an AR infl or Zerker any day.

Edited by Karaipantsu, November 29 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#9 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 30 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostKaraipantsu, on November 29 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Much faster if you boost out then dodge back, if you only want to TOW.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#10 OverWolf

OverWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationMy mech, kicking back with fine wine.

Posted November 30 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostBuDeKai, on November 29 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

the stratgies i use dont revolve around the mechs im using but more so around the mech im trying to kill

Pretty much same for me here.  For example, if I'm on my second mech of choice--the Brawler--I may be more aggressive with a Class-A mech (it also depends on the player's playing style) than I am with another full-health Class C.

Generally, with that mech, I try and not LEEROY JENKINS everyone despite my attractive fattiness.  Getting the jump on people, then pumping them full of lead is where it's at for me.

However, adaptability is the real strategy.

Edited by OverWolf, November 30 2012 - 09:11 PM.

Posted Image
This is the Prelude to a New Revolution
Main Mech: Brawler; Secondary Mech: SharpShooter

#11 Dackstrus

Dackstrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationKami's Lookout

Posted November 30 2012 - 09:23 PM

Rocketeer, I like high and open ground.

However, in cramped spaces, dumb-firing your weapons is always much better then trying to lock on.
As is learning how big the explosion radius is for the seeker and hellfire, So you know when to just click and when to hold it.
Shooting seeker missiles at the ground so they explode behind a corner is the best way to catch ambushes for your wide and delicious rear.
Radar is your lost love.
One should always know better...
I don't speak often. But when I do...
Vanguard: Fat@$$
Berserker: Drammel
R.I.P. Assault of Alpha 2: Popo The Black

#12 wat

wat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 06:12 AM

I'm not sure I have one favorite.  For CBE3 I bought every mech except Brawler; I have like 8 mechs that have utterly no upgrades at all (in fact I've spent my only remaining meteor points on camo because I am vain.)

I usually pick by feel.  I don't play one mech for more than several deaths before I change.  I just like experimenting and playing in new ways, every single match.  Though I guess I favor A and C class and don't have much love for B class.  

Grenadier is extremely fun for spammy bombardment and high burst damage, and just a fun, goofy way to play the game, even if not particularly consistent or effective.

Infiltrator is probably my best class - versatile, able to flee and heal, high, consistent damage output with the AR (not a fan of HEAT's finnickyness), and exceedingly mobile and flexible.  But I get bored of it after about half an hour.

I like jumping into Sharp when I want to be an opportunist and steal some kills that other people definitely worked for (it's ok - they get more XP).  I love the slug/barrettclone combo (I just wish the slug sounded heavier like it did in CBE1).  I think sharp is actually quite balanced, and can be really fun to play when I want a laugh.  I dont find it particularly amazing or versatile, though I can sometimes use it in close range situations, usually to do last minute burst damage but not to win a straight up full-health 1v1 fight.

I've become a giant fan of Scout - I think it's really versatile despite some of other user's complaints.  I think a long range, AOE TOW is an excellent complement to a short range, high damage Flak; it's the right trade off of burst damage / self damage, and it really rewards skill.

Really, I enjoy pretty much every weapon and every mech, though Rocketeer with seeker kind of bores me - i would like to see a straight-firing,medium to low damage, high ROF explosive weapon as an alternative - so a rocketeer has Hellfire (good damage, slow ROF, auto-aim) complimented by some sort of spammable, lower-damage-HEAT style weapon, one that shoots straight and demands careful aim and skill (take the seeker's damage stats but make it fire dumb, straight-line projectiles that shoots more like a cannon than a slow missile).  Ultimately i just think it's boring to have two aim-assist weapons; it's certainly a good mech but it isnt very fun to use.  Perhaps seeker can be moved to another mech without Hellfire.

I agree with Budekai - i often pick a mech based on what i am up against.  If there are lots of Scouts and Infiltrators running around I'll keep changing mechs until I find something that works; etc.  Though I can't quite say precisely what that choice would be :P

I love you devs!

#13 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 03 2012 - 10:49 AM

Post your Mech and Strategy

In your dreams! :P

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#14 AcmeKillerRobot

AcmeKillerRobot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 11:32 AM

Just got into the latest round of the beta, have only tried three mechs so far. Was liking the assault, but now am enjoying the scout!

My strategy: Spawn. Look for target. Make visual contact. Rush at enemies, guns blazin! :D
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic dance music..." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

#15 PiVoR

PiVoR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted December 03 2012 - 12:16 PM

Strategy_ What strategy.. You just pick up a mech and play how its supposted to be played.
Strategy comes in team play, in well cordinated premade group.

#16 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted December 03 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostPiVoR, on December 03 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

Strategy_ What strategy.. You just pick up a mech and play how its supposted to be played.

Strategy and Tactics are commonly misused for each other.

#17 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 03 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostSkylead, on December 03 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

The irony being that PiVoR got it the right way around :/

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#18 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted December 03 2012 - 08:49 PM

View PostReachH, on December 03 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

View PostSkylead, on December 03 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

The irony being that PiVoR got it the right way around :/

I was referencing the original post, you have tactics for different mechs, the team play is strategy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users