HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

High and Ultra textures don't seem to be kicking in

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gaia1984

Gaia1984

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 06:50 AM

Hi Everyone,

First congratulate to the developing team for the effort and the absolutely high quality of this game. It's REALLY fun!
I was quite impressed when I saw some videos about it in youtube, especially about the HD textures both in the maps and in the pilot's cabin. Though it seems I have kind of trouble with the high and ultra textures. When I select them in the settings, they are supposedly applied but when I get back to the game all models have still a medium quality texture resolution, even in the garage, and when playing the pilot's cabin seems to be kind of blurred and not with all those crispy details I saw in all the videos in youtube. Any suggestion_ Am I doing something wrong_ Do I have to change something in the settings_

Thank you in advance!

Cheers!

#2 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 30 2012 - 10:20 AM

IIRC, changing most settings like that only take effect upon relaunch of the game.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#3 Gaia1984

Gaia1984

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 11:01 AM

I had reset the program but it seems the same textures are applied and nothing has changed at all (even if I select low texture quality, the texture remains in what I presume to be medium quality textures). These are some examples of how it look like in "ultra" settings.

http://imageshack.us...5/garageui.jpg/
http://imageshack.us...15/ingamep.jpg/
http://imageshack.us...settingsqq.jpg/

Note all the instruments in the pilot's cabin how blurred they are and the textures on the floor of the map. I don't think it's a problem of my laptop of not being able to cope with this settings because it's not a matter of going slow but not even displaying them.

Cheers!

#4 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 12:51 PM

Well, it definitely doesn't look like that on my rig, that's for sure.

Posted Image

You sure you got the latest drivers for your GPU_

You also said "laptop" which definitely raises a red flag. Run GPU-Z and let us know what it says your video chip is. (Or better yet, use the little camera button in the upper right corner of it to save it as an image, then post it here, or post it to some image hosting site.)

Edited by DarkPulse, November 30 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#5 Gaia1984

Gaia1984

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 01:39 PM

Hope this helps!
http://imageshack.us.../hardwarey.gif/

A bit of extra info the processor is an Intel i7 QM720 at 1.60GHz (4 cores) and 4Gb DDR3 (2x2Gb) 1330 Hz

Btw thanks DarkPulse for your attention!

Edited by Gaia1984, November 30 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#6 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 04:32 AM

Hmm. Seems like you got a second-revision Mobility 5850, based on the specs.

Laptop GPUs are usually not as good as their desktop counterparts, but it wouldn't explain why higher-level textures do not swap in. It does have the recommended gigabyte of VRAM, and it's not doing anything wacky like HyperMemory.

Check the manufacturer of your laptop to see if they have updated graphics drivers; I have a feeling that could be the problem - outdated video drivers. Alternatively, download this and run it, and it should let you know if it can update, but according to AMD's site, laptop makers tailor the drivers for their specific products so they should be the first place you go.

Edited by DarkPulse, December 01 2012 - 04:32 AM.

#7 Gaia1984

Gaia1984

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hi Pulse!,

well it seems after updating the drivers the game loads the high res textures. This is odd because I am pretty sure I updated the drivers a week ago from guru3d.com. However now another problem appeared. After updating the drivers windows seems to glitch and I get a flickering screen up on the top of the screen and down at the bottom for a couple of seconds then stops (goes back to normal) and happen again minutes afterwards. I assume this is due to some kind of conflict between the existing drivers in the laptop. Maybe the old ones are crashing somehow with the new ones I've recently installed. I've tried to repair the catalyst on the control panel but the problem seems to persist even after rebooting the system.
As the AMD catalyst is the main driver it doesn't allowed me to uninstall it. Any suggestions of what it can be happening_ I know this is a bit off topic but I'd really appreciate any help on this. I'll keep on tweaking it to see if I can fix it by myself but any kind of help is always welcomed!
Hope you're having a nice weekend!
Best regards!

Edited by Gaia1984, December 01 2012 - 07:18 AM.

#8 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 04:31 AM

Hmm, are you getting messages like "CCC host application has stopped responding_"

If so, AMD's got a FAQ that shows you how to remove the old drivers here.

There's also apparently third-party tools that can clean them out for you; as I don't own an AMD card though I wouldn't know of any offhand. A little googling should help you get a clean uninstall done, and when you do that, your laptop should fall back to a standard resolution; then you just install those latest drivers and it should be good to go.

#9 Gaia1984

Gaia1984

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 04:32 PM

eah that's what I did. I research a bit in internet and I managed to clean the catalyst rebooting in safe mode and then under "change" in the control panel (no uninstall option was available) I was able to remove the drivers and fix the error. The flickering stopped so I was right there was some kind of incompatibility between both drivers, who knows what the heck happened there.
What was the most annoying part it's that I couldn't download the autodetect from AMD website anymore. I started getting NSIS error every time I tried (the system doesn't save the files properly) This is a bit odd because the 1st time I downloaded the autodetect everything went fine..... uhmmmm this seems like an eternal action-reaction chain! I researched about the NSIS topic and apparently many a people have exactly the same problem with AMD website specifically.... Tried all the suggested solutions I found in internet (eg: cleaning the cache memory, jumping the corrupt code in cmd with /NSCS) but it still doesn't work so I went finally to guru3d.com and downloaded some modified drivers and that's what I am using right now as I am trying to fix the NSIS thingy...
Any suggestions on this topic__ :)

Cheers!

#10 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 10:49 AM

NSIS errors are usually caused by damaged or incomplete installations. Basically you'll have to try and download the right drivers again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users