HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Unit or class specific training routines

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RipperT

RipperT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationEarth, last time I checked

Posted November 30 2012 - 11:11 AM

As a method of garnering initial interest and helping new players get out ot the gate, I think that training routines could be set up tailored to a class or specific unit type to teach those new to Hawken (or new to a specifc unit) some basics about the mech they have chosen to pilot for the first time. These routines would be open to level zero units (player level excluded) and could give small amounts of experience for objectives completed in the training run until the unit reaches level 1. Contained in these routines would be the special uses of the weapons the mech carries.

When I first started in this test, I had no clue about any of the special features the middle mouse button supplied and there were no outright obvious (to me at least) forum posts to draw from, not to mention my propensity for jumping in without reading the forums first. It took quite a bit of time to get up to speed on the weapons themselves. The addition of these types of training routines could do nothing but improve the Hawken experience in my opinion.

#2 fwip

fwip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationFuture Pittsburgh

Posted November 30 2012 - 02:53 PM

I like this suggestion, as long as it's optional. I'm not 100% sure specializing the tutorials would be worth the amount of effort it would take, but it would be nice to have for new players.
Posted Image

#3 JonnyO2

JonnyO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 02:59 PM

+1 (Of course, just fixing the tooltips on the weapons would help a lot towards this.)

For example, just by chance I happened to see a video someone posted about aiming the Rev-GL - I had completely written off that weapon until then.

#4 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 05:33 PM

Tutorials are a must and I'm sure they're coming. I think weight specific tutorials would be enough (A, B, C class mechs).

#5 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted November 30 2012 - 07:24 PM

I personally think anything more than a movement training with little emphasis on right click(x2), left click, and middle click is unnecessary.

It can also be detrimental to the community if they are told in their training X mech is play Y way. Instead of letting them play the game as they want to play it and figure things out for themselves and build their own pleasure out of finding what kind of playstyle suits them.

Just look at the LoL community and the way they bandwagon onto which ever FOTM champion is played by a popular high skilled player ( or even worst: phreak )

P.S. Tons of damage.

Edited by h0B0, November 30 2012 - 07:25 PM.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#6 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted December 01 2012 - 03:32 AM

My 3-step Routine to be a Hawken pilot elite:
  • Don't die.
  • Kill the other guys.
  • If they're highlighted in a white box, don't bother killing them. Kill the guys in red boxes instead.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users