HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Any love for Xbox / Ps3_

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
288 replies to this topic

#281 Cjail

Cjail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 09:58 AM

Well a port worthy of this name take the individual strengths of each platform and uses them.
PS3/360 have limits but also have strengths.
For one movement control on controllers is superior (analog sticks are far better then WASD); also this is soemthig Digital Foundry said that is very important:

the advantages of a fixed architecture in a console mean that developers target the specific strengths of the GPU, inevitably producing results that punch above their weight compared to the same hardware running on PC.

A great port is surely feasible and as a PS3 owner I am willing to accept the compromises this will bring...as long as the quality is there of course  ;)
The potential of Hawken is enormous and it could really be a fantastic gem for PS3/PS4 especially since, as you said, it's on Gaikai and Sony now owes Gaikai.

#282 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 11:49 AM

Cjail said:

For one movement control on controllers is superior (analog sticks are far better then WASD)
inb4 walls of hate

m+kb has proven time and time again to be more effective.

Cjail said:

the advantages of a fixed architecture in a console mean that developers target the specific strengths of the GPU, inevitably producing results that punch above their weight compared to the same hardware running on PC.
The problem is that it's still 6 year old hardware.

Cjail said:

I am willing to accept the compromises this will bring...as long as the quality is there of course
The compromises aren't on the console end is what MM is saying.

#283 Cjail

Cjail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 12:08 PM

The compromises are on the console side: PC will come out first, will be the superior one so it can't be the compromised one.
The  analog stick is better for for movement but not for aiming: for aiming mouse is far more precise.
I know it's a 6 years old hardware but look at what it still can do: it's not like the Last of Us is a bad looking game.
Anyway since Hawken will come in 2013 waiting for the PS4 is surely a great choice: I don't want Hawken here & now at all costs.

No harm in showing now to Adhesive that there is interest from our side.
If Hawken gets ported planning things,  having an idea of how to act, is far better then rushing things at the last month.

#284 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 01:58 PM

Cjail said:

The compromises are on the console side: PC will come out first, will be the superior one so it can't be the compromised one.
The model they plan on using means constant updates. Developing for two platforms means that it'll take longer for fixes and content to come out.

Various PC only features(mod support, server hosting tools, other stuff) could be put on the back end in favor of things that could translate to consoles.

The console side doesn't make any compromises because they wouldn't have a game otherwise.

Cjail said:

If Hawken gets ported planning things, having an idea of how to act, is far better then rushing things at the last month.
Gaikai is the way to go because it implies fewer compromises on either end. A direct port just has way too many issues.

#285 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 04:58 PM

lavalamp1138 said:

You referred to his post has "masturbatory nonsense" and "retarded bait," and you told him to "piss off." Those are insults.

No those are not insults. I simply made an example. never referred his post as nonsense and retarded bait. Giving an example is not insulting directly his posts. Obviously he does not believe in a single word he said. It's an obvious trolling attempt, so there's no need for me to attend properly his bait.

I prefer to debate with intelligent people who actually provide a coherent argument. I can't do much with what he typed.

lavalamp1138 said:

There is an argument, Cjail believes in the integrity of a port, you disagree. Differing opinions ----> debate.

Wrong. He wrote a bait. I dispatched it and cut the unnecessary crap.

lavalamp1138 said:

Please be more respectful and considerate of other users. If there is a post that you find offensive, then by all means report it.

I don't have to report offensive posts. Everybody can have a piece of me if he or she comes with a coherent point. However if they come off with lousy rehearsals, I'm going to be quick dispatching their obvious baits.

Thank you Arseface, you saved me a lot of typing on the very basics.....

#286 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 05:27 PM

Mech, I'm not going to argue with you, I'm telling you how it is. Whether or not  a user is posting 'bait' is irrelevant.  Insulting other users is not tolerated. You may not consider it an insult, but I and the people who have reported it do. Either you report the posts you find offensive or you ignore them. End of story. If you have anything else to say, post it in a PM, not in here.

#287 skatcat31

skatcat31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted July 11 2012 - 01:28 AM

Can we get this thread just deleted as a whole_ This sort of stuff I'd rather not see.
Fanboys beware: From now on if you start doing it I will ignore the post. Fanboyism ruins conversations the same way religion, science, and politics due. We're here to fawn over hawken, not other things.

#288 Cjail

Cjail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 01:30 AM

I mean what I said: why doubting me_

Anyway with Gaikai they would still have to adapt Hawken to the architecture of the PS3/PS4 so there will be still work to be done...a lot less probably.
Gaikai indeed extends the range of possibilities, and not just for ports, because it will always allow the PS3/PS4 to transcend hardware limitations.

#289 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 05:19 AM

skatcat31 said:

Can we get this thread just deleted as a whole_ This sort of stuff I'd rather not see.
I think you're right. This thread has long since served its purpose and discussion always seems to be hampered by baggage. I'm going to lock this thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users