HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Expansion on the heat game mechanic.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Expansion on the heat game mechanic. (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Should weapons heat, which currently shuts down your weapons, be expanded to offer a more skilled and varied game mechanic with it's own benefits and drawbacks_

1. Yes. (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

2. No. (11 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

How should the developers go about changing the current heat mechanic to make it encourage more skillful gameplay_

1. Dynamic stats that change depending on the weapons heat level. (5 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

2. Weapons that can do damage in form of heat buildup. (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Added function that can only be performed under certain heat levels. (2 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. Special ability's that react differently to a weapons heat levels. (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

5. Nothing should be changed. Heat should only shut down weapons nothing more. (10 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 09:02 PM

So the forums are pretty slow right now being in the end of the closed beta test so I thought I would bring up one last thing that I have touched on but there hasn't really been a thread for it.

Right now heat is a mechanic that shuts down your guns. It essentially acts as your ammo. I have thought of things to expand on this game mechanic to add skill and subtle complexity to the way guns work. However, one of the reasons I'm creating this thread is to discuss ways to add skill to spamming weapons by having different effects based on heat which may deter a player from having high heat in a fight. There are quite a few things that could be done and these are just a few broad ideas.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have made a few suggestions such as:
  • Weapons deal heat damage that increases a players weapons heat.

• Weapons have dynamic stats depending on there heat level, both increases and decreases.

• Weapons can have an extra function when they are heated or cooled to encourage that kind of gameplay.

• Weapons can have a special that works better or differently depending on it's heat level.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you think that heat should be expanded on but in not in any of these ways and you have something to add to this list please add it like and I will tack it to the poll if it it gets 3 likes.
(use [suggestion] so players know that you wish your idea to be liked ect.)

If you have something to critique about my current suggestion or future suggestions please do so and if the suggestion gets enough likes I will change it to fit the suggestions of the majority.
(use [critique] so players know you wish to change an idea, use [suggestion] if you just wish to add a new idea to the list not fix someone else's)

Sorry for the odd formatting but, it just makes it easier to compile into a poll if a lot of people like this idea or have something to add to it.

Examples:

Spoiler

Edited by Necro, December 03 2012 - 12:46 AM.

#2 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 11:28 PM

Need option in second list for people who want to vote no in the first.
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#3 SunshineSloth

SunshineSloth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Equator, North of the South Pole.

Posted December 02 2012 - 11:40 PM

This is needless complexity. That said, any time the melee discussion comes up I propose the "Flamethrower" that overheats rather than damages a mech.
Posted Image

#4 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 12:25 AM

View PostBeefC4ke, on December 02 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

You just vote no, you don't think the heat mechanic should be changed.

If you vote yes you think it should be changed then vote how you want it changed.

There is no need for a no in the seconds list. That's like saying no I don't think it should be changed and no is how it should be changed_

#5 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 03 2012 - 12:31 AM

View PostNecro, on December 03 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

View PostBeefC4ke, on December 02 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

You just vote no, you don't think the heat mechanic should be changed.

If you vote yes you think it should be changed then vote how you want it changed.

There is no need for a no in the seconds list. That's like saying no I don't think it should be changed and no is how it should be changed_
I think the reason he says there should be another option is because you can't complete the form without answering all the questions.
At least, I'd assume that's why I'm getting an error.

EDIT: That is the reason.
If you vote no and don't choose anything in the second question, it will give you an error and tell you that you need to complete all questions.

Edited by AsianJoyKiller, December 03 2012 - 12:32 AM.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#6 NBShoot_me

NBShoot_me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 12:31 AM

Not sure if this'd work out well in Hawken.  Odds are, if you've overheated, you're in the middle of a fire fight and are already talking heavy damage (long range attacks aside).  You'll also have people criticizing Hawken on the grounds that it’s attempting to copy MWO on one or more levels.

EDIT: OK, as for being able to overheat another player's mech with normal weapons and to a greater degree with weapons that deal no to lesser amounts of damage... MWO.. just saying.

It’s an interesting idea, but I’m not sure if it’s something that’s a good match for Hawken.

Edited by NBShoot_me, December 03 2012 - 12:36 AM.

#7 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 12:35 AM

Ahh that's wierd, thanks for clearing that up.

Will add a an option that lets you complete it.

#8 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 12:38 AM

View PostNBShoot_me, on December 03 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

Not sure if this'd work out well in Hawken.  Odds are, if you've overheated, you're in the middle of a fire fight and are already talking heavy damage (long range attacks aside).  You'll also have people criticizing Hawken on the grounds that it’s attempting to copy MWO on one or more levels.

EDIT: not sure I'm reading part of your suggestions right, so removing this paragraph.

It’s an interesting idea, but I’m not sure if it’s something that’s a good match for Hawken.
I've never played MWO online before so i'm not sure which part sounds like it.

Also what don't you understand so I can clear it up and make sure that it's a bit more read-able.

#9 HotDog

HotDog

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 01:48 AM

Hi at all,

in the Balistik View point is - That if a Weapon is realy hot it Jams the Bullet or even can destroy the mechanic inside the Gun.

Thats the reason if a Weapon is Hot its less accurate and can have consiquences depending on the Weapon you use. Thats the reason and a funny one btw. Why is the Point D-Vulcan so high on Heat Build up then the SMG...

The Vulcan is a little bit faster on Shooting but not sooo much then the SMG but still the SMG can shoot way longer then the Vulcan.

This is a Vulcan: https://en.wikipedia...wiki/M61_Vulcan

I know Scifi and so on but to come to the point - Heat is Bad for the Weapon and does not make it better. ^^

Yours Truly

-BV-HotDog

Posted Image

#10 NBShoot_me

NBShoot_me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 10:43 AM

View PostNecro, on December 03 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

View PostNBShoot_me, on December 03 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

EDIT: not sure I'm reading part of your suggestions right, so removing this paragraph.

I've never played MWO online before so i'm not sure which part sounds like it.

Also what don't you understand so I can clear it up and make sure that it's a bit more read-able.

I re-read it, I think I got the general idea.

As for the MWO remarks; heat management is a VERY big part of that game.  Weapons cause your entire mech to overheat and completely shut down.  Overheating causes internal damage and eventually the destruction of your mech in that game if you override the auto shutdown.  There are also weapons in MWO that have the sole purpose of increasing another mech's temp (i.e. flame thrower) to force them to shutdown earlier or blow up.

#11 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 02:54 PM

Well taking it that far would be too much to me but i think adding something would give weapons more variety.

Edited by Necro, December 03 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#12 NBShoot_me

NBShoot_me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 03:18 PM

It would, though I'd also like to see a more expansive variety of weapons as well (which would be brought about with the addition heat dealing weapons).  Just as long as the fast paced gameplay in Hawken isn't brought to a crawl with heat management.

#13 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, weapons that heat mechs up would have to have some sort of limit to balance them so every match doesn't turn into a overheating mess of fuzzy bunny.

I feel like it could be short term special ability. Like a flamethrower could have special fuel for X seconds that heats up enemy weapons or a thermal cannon could take Y heat away from the users weapons every X seconds and transfer some of it to an enemy.

Nothing like weapons that deal primarily heat damage because heat does go by fast in the game and overheating a mech is a powerful tool that should only be applicable by skilled gameplay,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users