HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Double tap side keys to side boost while pressing boost forward...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ghostXzero

ghostXzero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 02:46 PM

I suggest to add ability to double tap side keys to side boost while pressing boost forward.  This will make maneuvering more fluid.  Currently, this is not possible without first releasing the forward key.

NOTE: This request is not related to the "double tap to boost" in settings.

NOTE: This request is similar to the behavior of movement controls in UT2003 / UT2004, which is great for fast paced gameplay.  Anyone who's played that game should know what I'm talking about.

Edited by ghostXzero, December 04 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#2 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 03 2012 - 03:54 PM

I don't see this as a problem of mechanics, I see this as a problem of skill.
You'll see quite a few of the more experienced players skillfully chaining together dashes and boosts for quick, fluid movement.

It's little things like this that help separate the boys from the men.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#3 ghostXzero

ghostXzero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 05:55 PM

my suggestion enables more fluid movement.  example: player can hold boosting forward, double tap to side boost, then resume boosting forward without ever having to release the forward key.  it's more intuitive and ergonomic.

Edited by ghostXzero, December 03 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#4 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 06:37 PM

It's also very easy to dodge anything that way. It would turn this game into something else all together.

It would be interesting to see but i think it's has too much of an impact on skilled play and would make A class mechs even that much more powerful.

#5 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 03 2012 - 06:39 PM

Sure, why not add an I-Win button while we're at it_

Hawken mechs are large and heavy. This sort of dynamic move belongs in Front Mission, which is far more about crazy acrobatics than heavy mechs doing ground combat.

In other words, I disagree.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#6 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 03 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostghostXzero, on December 03 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

my suggestion enables more fluid movement.  example: player can hold boosting forward, double tap to side boost, then resume boosting forward without ever having to release the forward key.  it's more intuitive and ergonomic.
You can already be fluid, but it takes practice and skill.

I think that if you want to get the maximum effectiveness out of your mech, you should need the skill to do so, rather than make it easy for anybody.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#7 ghostXzero

ghostXzero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 06:04 AM

NOTE: This request is similar to the behavior of movement controls in UT2003 / UT2004, which is great for fast paced gameplay.  Anyone who's played that game should know what I'm talking about.

Edited by ghostXzero, December 04 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#8 Amalilakab

Amalilakab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 07:33 PM

View PostghostXzero, on December 04 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

Personally I like the delays. As some people mentioned reducing delay is a mark of skill and experience while also adding technical ability and challenge to the game. I think it would reduce skill. I am far from being good at dodging, but I have seen good players do it and like the dynamic.

I think it should stay the same, this is heavy mech combat, not Unreal Tournament. I get where you are coming from and agree it would make the game handle differently, but I personally don't want that from this game. I like the way they have it at the moment.

#9 ghostXzero

ghostXzero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 07:52 AM

just because the current controls are clunky and requires more effort to make things work doesn't mean it makes the game more skillful.  it's just more tedious.

by making the boosting work more fluid like UT2003 / UT2004, it will take skillful gameplay to the next level.  because then both you and your enemy will have very fluid maneuvering--which will give a whole new level of challenge to the combat encounters.

hawken is a fast-paced mech game--and the controls should reflect this.  if anyone prefers a slow mech game, there's always mechwarrior online.

Edited by ghostXzero, December 05 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#10 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 05 2012 - 11:09 AM

Making things easier for everyone means lowering the skill floor and/or ceiling, both of which reduce skilled play, not enhance it.

AJK is right

#11 DeVact

DeVact

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Locationall over the place

Posted December 05 2012 - 01:22 PM

Have to agree to AJK here. I really don't see why you would want to change the current control mechanics. You don't even gain anything from it as you can't shoot and thrust forwards at the same time (mechs arms fold backwards, ever notice that_).
This would only be helpful while escaping from a lost fight BUT i think it would be very unfair to make fleeing the battle even easier than it is already (especially for A-Class mechs).

DarkPulse said:

... less than witnessing Elvis crash a UFO into the Loch Ness Monster, seeing Bigfoot crawl out of the smoking wreckage, opening a wormhole in space, and then getting picked up by ET, Lando Calrissian, and an Arilou Lalee'Lay in the Space Battleship Yamato.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users