HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Option to attach Avatar on Mech

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Omega22

Omega22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 01:57 AM

It would be really nice if we could choose our Avatar and have it appear on the Mech so that we are easily recognised on the battlefield... who has time to read when we are in a cross fire or middle of a heated gun battle.

I want to see a MEch and say hey thats Beeman... Hey thats Necro ... Hey thats me ... Hey Thats AsianJoyKiller so forth and so on

Thanks

I see DeaD HawkeN PilotS and they all are  NooBS !

#2 UnionofJack

UnionofJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 04 2012 - 02:05 AM

That's not a bad idea. It could be something like an emblem system, where you upload a picture or choose from a preset and it shows up on your shoulder or leg or somewhere. I like it.
Posted Image
--------> Alpha Squad <--------
| Flit<->'Zerker | Chuck<->Brawler | Lumber<->Cupcake |
Come watch! http://www.twitch.tv/unionofjack
Online most nights until around 2AM, PST. Currently: [Offline]

#3 Omega22

Omega22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 02:19 AM

Yea, that is what i was thinking , not a sticker or a bumper sticker. As the Mechs are all the same and the only thing thats sets mechs apart are the paint jobs . Not much of Customerzation is here in terms of apperance ... but by adding personal avatar  or emblem we can be unique

#4 omnissiah19

omnissiah19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Locationunited states

Posted December 04 2012 - 02:54 AM

i see abuse happening if it isnt monitored
Begin transmission. The world collapses behind me.Posted Image

#5 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted December 04 2012 - 03:12 AM

This was brought up in alpha as well, which we unfortunately don't have access to any more, otherwise I'd pull bits of that thread.

What it seemed to come down to is that while we all would love to have the ability to add something like this to our mechs, it is ripe for abuse.

Between possible copyright violations (ever seen Disney when they go after someone who they feel violated their copyright on a certain mouse_  It's not pretty) and plain rudeness (you know someone is going to try to have wibbly bits and certain logos from World War 2), it would potentially require a lot of monitoring, either by Meteor/Adhesive or a very good community monitoring system.

I'm not sure if some kind of legal boilerplate would shield them from copyright claims and such.  One has to remember, this game is accessible world wide, so what is acceptable in your area may not be in another.

We can voice our opinion, let them know this is a money maker (it is a cosmetic thing, after all), and hope they figure something out that will protect them and allow this to happen.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#6 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 04 2012 - 03:20 AM

View Postbacon_avenger, on December 04 2012 - 03:12 AM, said:

wibbly bits
Next time I find the need to talk about genitals I'm using this term.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#7 Omega22

Omega22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 03:25 AM

I hear you Bacon_avenger and i agree with you and as  omnissiah19 commented, this being open to abuse and copyrite claims
There should be some sort of safe guard or a way to enforce to prevent the bad or claims that may arise.

Heck i would like to have my avatar pasted on my mech , may be they can  develop some  option that takes you to another screen to create your own customer avatar without any infringement that may arise ...

Bring out the artist in us lol...

#8 Omega22

Omega22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 03:26 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 04 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

wibbly bits
Next time I find the need to talk about genitals I'm using this term.

HOW ABOUT wiggly bits !..lol

#9 Stealth_303

Stealth_303

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 04 2012 - 03:58 AM

+1 OP - This is a great idea. Posts #4&5 are not applicable! This option is availible in many other games already and is a great suggestion as it is a proven framework.

It is also a way for the developers to make money! Clans can be offered a the chance to pay to place their own specific emblem.

For examples of this element working in games already, consider games such as, Left4Dead 1&2 and World of Tanks
Posted Image

#10 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 04 2012 - 04:10 AM

View PostOmega22, on December 04 2012 - 03:25 AM, said:

I hear you Bacon_avenger and i agree with you and as  omnissiah19 commented, this being open to abuse and copyrite claims
There should be some sort of safe guard or a way to enforce to prevent the bad or claims that may arise.
A way to avoid such problems is to use a logo/symbol creation system similar to to Halo's.

http://youtu.be/3o3U6DlstEs

You may not be able to get exactly what you like, but it does give you enough options to create a fairly unique symbol and avoids the problems of people creating lewd/obscene or copyrighted stuff.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#11 UnionofJack

UnionofJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 04 2012 - 04:30 AM

A Halo-esque emblem system would work well, even if it would cut down on the personalization quite a bit. Maybe there could be some sort of system where you had to get a certain amount of community approval votes before it was able to be displayed_ And a large legal clause to protect the devs from any sort of copy write craziness_
Posted Image
--------> Alpha Squad <--------
| Flit<->'Zerker | Chuck<->Brawler | Lumber<->Cupcake |
Come watch! http://www.twitch.tv/unionofjack
Online most nights until around 2AM, PST. Currently: [Offline]

#12 Stealth_303

Stealth_303

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 04 2012 - 04:42 AM

The Halo Idea seems well... limited.
Posted Image

#13 Omega22

Omega22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 05:44 AM

I welcome anything as long as I am able to paste something that reflects my personality / image on my mech ....

Edited by Omega22, December 04 2012 - 05:44 AM.

#14 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 04 2012 - 05:52 AM

View PostStealth_303, on December 04 2012 - 04:42 AM, said:

The Halo Idea seems well... limited.
It is, but that's the point. It's very easy to control the content.
This save numerous headaches as it can be made impossible to make obscene symbols, or copyrighted material.

AJK is right

#15 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 07:08 AM

I could get behind a content controlled emblem system.  +1 from me.

#16 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted December 04 2012 - 07:54 AM

If anything, the devs could also approve further content as emblem material, too.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#17 Spawny

Spawny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted December 04 2012 - 07:59 AM

Or make the emblems clan specific.

Clan banner spots can be bought and clan banners are submitted, screened and approved before they can be applied. Cuts down the workload a bit for the admins too.
Alpha 2 B-Class Bruiser
Closed Beta 1 C-Class Brawler
Closed Beta 2 A-Class Berzerker
Closed Beta 3 A-Class Scout

#18 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 09:00 AM

Between possible copyright violations (ever seen Disney when they go after someone who they feel violated their copyright on a certain mouse_  It's not pretty)

Dawn of War 1 and 2 (in Retribution) allowed it. Kiwi rolled with the Hellion as the badge for one of his armies and their Banner was the Iron Savior. As far as Kiwi's aware, no one ever had a copy right claim over such things.

As for monetary things, this is identical to the concept of a company that lets you design your own shirt and then makes it for you.

Edited by TheChaffeemancer, December 04 2012 - 09:01 AM.

Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#19 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted December 04 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostStealth_303, on December 04 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

+1 OP - This is a great idea. Posts #4&5 are not applicable! This option is availible in many other games already and is a great suggestion as it is a proven framework.
Disagree, they are very applicable.  Just because other systems are out there on other games, it doesn't mean that they are something that Hawken can adopt, or is willing to.

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 04 2012 - 04:10 AM, said:

A way to avoid such problems is to use a logo/symbol creation system similar to to Halo's.
*snippy*
You may not be able to get exactly what you like, but it does give you enough options to create a fairly unique symbol and avoids the problems of people creating lewd/obscene or copyrighted stuff.
This kind of system is hard to balance IMO.

If too many options are given, it can be abused.  If it's too limited, the player base complains that it's rubbish and no one uses it.  And as this is a cosmetic item, it would make sense that it not be limited, at all if possible, otherwise very few, if any, will pay money to take advantage of the option.

Need for Speed: World has this kind of system, a fixed set of shapes to work with when designing graphics for a car.  I've seen everything from fuzzy bunny swastika's to four letter swear words and SpongeBob SquarePants.  Heck, I did a Reddit alien once just to see if I could. :P

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on December 04 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Dawn of War 1 and 2 (in Retribution) allowed it. Kiwi rolled with the Hellion as the badge for one of his armies and their Banner was the Iron Savior. As far as Kiwi's aware, no one ever had a copy right claim over such things.
I really doubt that there would be any claims myself, but all it takes is one land shark with a bug up it's bumm, and look out!  it really depends on the amount of risk Adhesive/Meteor is willing to take and if their land sharks believe that it would fall under fair use.

Don't misunderstand, I want this ability very much (I would suggest a minimum of two decals, one for a personal image, one for a team image), but this is a very real concern that needs to be hashed out before anything is put into place, and those who want to cause problems can be very creative with the tools they do have.

Or am I just being too jaded and cynical_ :)

Edited by bacon_avenger, December 04 2012 - 03:58 PM.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#20 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 04:22 PM

It would be cool if the devs worked with the community and we could send them in things we would like to see as options in the pre-made emblem editor so they could add them.

I agree that having your avatar can be abused but I feel that if the devs could work with us we could make a very good premade-emblem editor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users