HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Option to attach Avatar on Mech

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 04 2012 - 04:44 PM

View Postbacon_avenger, on December 04 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

If too many options are given, it can be abused.  If it's too limited, the player base complains that it's rubbish and no one uses it.  And as this is a cosmetic item, it would make sense that it not be limited, at all if possible, otherwise very few, if any, will pay money to take advantage of the option.
That's not at all true. Even very restricted systems like the one used in Halo are utilized by damn near everyone. Since they put in the emblem system, I have yet to hop in a match and see more than 1 or 2 people who use the default (and even then it's either because they are a guest player or new).

If you had to pay for it, now that I could see being in conflict with having such a limited system. But as neither you nor Omega22 mentioned monetizing a symbol creation system, I was talking in context of a free system.

Need for Speed: World has this kind of system, a fixed set of shapes to work with when designing graphics for a car.  I've seen everything from fuzzy bunny swastika's to four letter swear words and SpongeBob SquarePants.  Heck, I did a Reddit alien once just to see if I could. :P
NFS:W is far more liberal in what it allows.
A way to think of it would be NFS:W (or CoDBLOPS, APB, etc.) allow for symbol/emblem creation, while Halo offers more of a emblem tweaking option.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#22 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 04 2012 - 04:48 PM

Emblems yes. Avatars nope. I don't want my forum avatar sticked on my metal ni... chest. :P

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#23 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted December 04 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 04 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

If you had to pay for it, now that I could see being in conflict with having such a limited system. But as neither you nor Omega22 mentioned monetizing a symbol creation system, I was talking in context of a free system.
Ah, gotcha.  I was referring to a paid for system as it would be a cosmetic thing, which is supposed to be the only thing that would cost real money, like the 'camos' or chassis styles.

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 04 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

NFS:W is far more liberal in what it allows.
A way to think of it would be NFS:W (or CoDBLOPS, APB, etc.) allow for symbol/emblem creation, while Halo offers more of a emblem tweaking option.
Good way to look at it.

Wait...  an intelligent discourse on a subject relating to the game, and no one has come in saying that something is OP or accusing someone of strawmen...  am I in the right forum_ :P

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users