HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Customizable Battleships / Battleships General

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted June 16 2011 - 11:25 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the e3 preview it looked like when you collect resources, you have to dump them off in this resource collection machine.

Well, I thought that it sort of breaks the flow of the game if you have to stop to take a dump all of the sudden.

Why don't they add some menu screens where you can make changes to your battleship while you are dropping off your resources_

Or at least some reading material when you are taking a dump lol.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#2 SixSeconds

SixSeconds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted June 16 2011 - 06:45 PM

I do hope you meant making changes to your mech, because getting a whole team of pubs to agree on a battleship design is going to be murder.

#3 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted June 17 2011 - 11:07 AM

Well I suppose you have a point there.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#4 innociv

innociv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted June 19 2011 - 03:41 AM

Yeah.. The battleship is just a simpleish thing as part of a gametype.

Can't needlessly overcomplicate everything.

#5 Provi

Provi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted June 19 2011 - 10:57 AM

How about each dumping mech gets to control a turret on the battleship - so the more resources they have to dump, the more time they can spend manning the turret.

Or they can steer the ship to strategic points and drop of supplies for teammates etc.

#6 SixSeconds

SixSeconds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted June 19 2011 - 12:11 PM

But, if you could spend resources on launching other utilities, like different flavours of drone support (repair, scout, etc.), then that would add a whole new mechanic; do you upgrade your team to have a better shot at a sucessful battleship run, or do you rush the battleship out of the gate and trust your own skills_

Cross-posting my battleship mechanic from another thread. I think the battleship works well as an autonomous "bomb"; it's just a gametype MacGuffin that doesn't really need to be expanded on.

#7 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 19 2011 - 03:39 PM

having played BF 2142.  Manning titan turrets is thankless work and isn't all that fun to be honest.

I'd rather have them be autonomous than expect players to have to give up their mechs and possibly do a shitty job at aiming the turrets.
Mech time all the time

#8 innociv

innociv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted June 19 2011 - 09:42 PM

Provi said:

How about each dumping mech gets to control a turret on the battleship - so the more resources they have to dump, the more time they can spend manning the turret.

Or they can steer the ship to strategic points and drop of supplies for teammates etc.
You'd be A LOT more useful protecting it from the ground...

Pretty much just like the above poster said.

And I agree with the two poster above, too.

#9 Provi

Provi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted June 20 2011 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, you have a point.

How about the second idea though_ The one about choosing a target supply drop off. That would be one click and painless.

#10 SixSeconds

SixSeconds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted June 20 2011 - 11:23 AM

Dunno about that; the potential for griefing is astounding. Think about someone steering the ship to the edge of the map opposite to the enemy base and dropping supplies.

#11 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted June 20 2011 - 12:19 PM

Aether said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the e3 preview it looked like when you collect resources, you have to dump them off in this resource collection machine.

Well, I thought that it sort of breaks the flow of the game if you have to stop to take a dump all of the sudden.

Why don't they add some menu screens where you can make changes to your battleship while you are dropping off your resources_

Or at least some reading material when you are taking a dump lol.

I think the plan is to have the option to swap weapon loadouts and adjust upgrade points while "dumping".  Your mech is also repaired while docked.  

Cool ideas with the ship by the way, but we do already have another objective in place that focuses the battle once the ship is launched.  We haven't shown it since we're still working on the visuals, but we probably aren't going to complicate the Battleships any further for now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users