HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Isn't the End of the world in December

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 V0LTA1RE

V0LTA1RE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBritish shores

Posted December 07 2012 - 10:19 AM

Thank you.

#2 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hey, we at least have 9 days to play Hawken. I recommend you play as much as possible and throw the money you won't need anyway at the game to experience everything it has to offer in that limited time.
Desert Fox

#3 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted December 07 2012 - 05:15 PM

Even though you're joking, I'll say why that 21st of December stuff is bunk:

1. The Mayans didn't predict the end of the world, just the end-date of their calender. The world doesn't end every year when our calenders end, does it_

2. Even if they had predicted it, the date would be wrong anyway, since our original "translation" of the calender is wrong, and could be off by as much as 50-100 years.

Posted Image
Australian_ Like Hawken_ Then join the Drop Bears! Or actually maybe don't, since it's kind of dead.

#4 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 07 2012 - 06:43 PM

No. It is not.

And this is serious. NASA has been getting letters from people, mostly kids and teens, who are considering suicide because they're afraid that the apocalypse is coming. So, let me be clear.

THE WORLD WILL NOT END. THERE IS NO SANE WAY ON THIS EARTH OR ANY OTHER THAT THE WORLD WILL END ON DECEMBER 21st.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#5 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted December 07 2012 - 06:50 PM

Mayans didn't account for leap years.....should have been 3 or 4 years ago.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#6 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 06:52 PM

View Postmarshalade, on December 07 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

Mayans didn't account for leap years.....should have been 3 or 4 years ago.
I hope that wasn't serious.

Edited by Necro, December 07 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#7 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted December 07 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostNecro, on December 07 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

Meh....number is not 3 or 4 but yeah, why_

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#8 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 07:32 PM

View Postmarshalade, on December 07 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

View PostNecro, on December 07 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

Meh....number is not 3 or 4 but yeah, why_
We invented leap year so yes it's not in their calenders but...

The mathematicians who have done the math to figure out the date the mayans calendar would have ended I would have hope to at least taken this into account.

#9 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 07 2012 - 07:58 PM

Depending on how you do the math (humans are wildly inconsistent in their calendar systems across history), the last Mayan calendar ended either several years ago, or it's about to end. However, in any event, it signifies absolutely nothing.

I remember reading a press release put out in advance of the film 2012 (the disaster movie) by a community in South America that were descendants of the Mayans. The press release amounted to "Please stop perpetuating the myth that our ancestors predicted an apocalypse in 2012. It's not true, and you are disrespecting our people and culture as well as our ancestors and their culture. 2012 wasn't even supposed to be a movie about the Mayan apocalypse, it was just a disaster movie, and then very early on in production someone went "hmmmm, isn't there this Mayan thing coming up_" and the movie tied itself into the myth.

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#10 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted December 07 2012 - 09:46 PM

View Postz121231211, on December 07 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

Hey, we at least have 9 days to play Hawken. I recommend you play as much as possible and throw the money you won't need anyway at the game to experience everything it has to offer in that limited time.

Stole the words right outta my mouth, haha. When the US Government has to release a ... blog post ... on the issue, you know its sad ...

Just today though, I heard the same Bruno Mars song on two radio channels at the same time ... now thats the sign of the apocalypse

EDIT: i hate bruno mars ...

Edited by ArnieF4440, December 07 2012 - 09:47 PM.

Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#11 Unknown_Kadath

Unknown_Kadath

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 02:24 PM

A calendar ending seems to be kind of a bad source for an apocalypse, but "...when the stars are right..." sounds more like the vague way prophecies normally go. Who knows, maybe Ryleigh really will rise to the surface of the Pacific and Cthulhu will wake once again_

#12 HeavyGear

HeavyGear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 11:51 PM

The 21st will be the Apocalypse for my waist line, Christmass Vacation woop woop!

#13 Taerkasten

Taerkasten

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted December 10 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostElix, on December 07 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

No. It is not.

And this is serious. NASA has been getting letters from people, mostly kids and teens, who are considering suicide because they're afraid that the apocalypse is coming. So, let me be clear.

THE WORLD WILL NOT END. THERE IS NO SANE WAY ON THIS EARTH OR ANY OTHER THAT THE WORLD WILL END ON DECEMBER 21st.

+1, it's plain simple the mayans in their calendars told about the end of an age not of the humanity, like the end of bronze age, etc etc, there's no need for be nervous about the end of the world.

Posted Image

|-Intel DH67CL-|-i3-2130 3.4Ghz-|-8 GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX Blu-|-ATI Radeon 6750HD 1GB-|

#14 Phunk

Phunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted December 12 2012 - 01:31 AM

Well it is the 12th in New Zealand and we are still here ;)

Not that we were going anywhere :P

Counting down the hours until launch!

#15 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 12 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostPhunk, on December 12 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

Well it is the 12th in New Zealand and we are still here ;)
The myth is actually that on December 21st it's going to happen. However, you'll be able to say exactly the same thing in eleven days anyway.

#16 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 12 2012 - 01:40 AM

I wouldn't really mid if the world ended. Not saying i want it to end but if by some crazy thing it ever decides to while i'm alive i'd be cool with it.

Me and Earth are cool like that.

#17 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 12 2012 - 01:49 AM

Not that the Earth (or whatever was coming in to clock us all out and pink slip us) would ask your permission. :P

#18 Crown

Crown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGarnished Roast

Posted December 12 2012 - 04:38 AM

Well, the whole idea is that Nibiru will collide or become dangerously close to earth but NASA has already stated that is will pass, what was it_ Four billion miles distance from us; or something like that.

And if you're religious and you think God will punish us for our sins then I'm not even going to try and prove you wrong, I'm not going to subject myself to that torture.

#19 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 12 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostCrown, on December 12 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

Well, the whole idea is that Nibiru will collide or become dangerously close to earth but NASA has already stated that is will pass, what was it_ Four billion miles distance from us; or something like that.
"Nibiru" does not exist. Period. Ever. If it did and it was heading towards Earth, we would know it long before now:

1. In order for it to approach the inner solar system on anything like the orbit it's claimed to have, astronomers would've been able to spot it for the last decade with all of the ground and space telescopes we've been launching to scan the skies and map out as many objects in the solar system as we can find. Astronomical objects can't hide from us.

2. Even if Nibiru somehow hid from us until it was able to approach within the orbit of Mars, if it were to be getting close to hit us, it would be the brightest object in the sky other than the moon and the sun. You wouldn't need to trust any scientist (if you're a believer that NASA is somehow in on a global conspiracy), you would be able to see it with your own eyes. The sky looks normal here. Look any different to you_

3. If Nibiru existed, the orbits of the planets would be completely disrupted compared to the stable, long-term orbital systems we observe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users