HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Let us choose our starter mech

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Allow us to choose our starter mech (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we be able to choose our first mech chassis_

1. Yes, give us a choice - because choice is freedom. And freedom is fuzzy. (9 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. No, the noob box a.k.a. Fred, helps us identify targets of opportunity on the battlefield. (9 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Yes, give us a limited choice Professor Oak. I would like to choose between one mech of each class. (12 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 09 2012 - 01:10 PM

Because grinding Hawken Credits is a massive turn off for established players.

Or at least give us a good deal on a starter mech ffs. F2P marketing 101.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#2 Makina

Makina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted December 09 2012 - 01:20 PM

mech test drive_ lol but honestly the assault is a good starter, good to show basics, and even some good players use it

and maybe hawken points wont be as hard as in beta to get

Edited by Makina, December 09 2012 - 01:21 PM.

Alienware Aurora R4 : Intel I7-3820 4 core 3.6 - OC 4.1 // 8 GB rams (Soon 16 GB) // 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 7870 // Basic 7.1 Sound Card // 17' & 50' 1080p Screens // Oculus Rift equipped .

All system green...Ready for action.

#3 ZHRGG

ZHRGG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 01:33 PM

The assault is easy to pick up for new players and the best balanced mech in CBT3, bar none. If nothing else, it's pretty much the "standard above average at everything" mech all mech games have at the start that if you want, can be taken all the way to endgame should you spend the effort.

That said, having the ability to choose between picking a "Recommended Choice" (Assault as starter with the Rookie internals, for newbies) and an "Advanced Choice" (freedom to choose starter, no Rookie internals, for alpha/beta testers) that all players are free to exercise would be my suggestion. This way, experienced players who really don't care for the Assault or the internals can pick their favorite starter mech without having to grind creds for it.

#4 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted December 09 2012 - 01:48 PM

I voted: Yes, the noob box a.k.a. Fred, helps us identify targets of opportunity on the battlefield.

On a more serious note. i will repeat myself one more time.

The ideal system imho is to give a ~3day rental on all mechs at account creation and enough HC to purchase 1 mech.
Forcing newcomers to play a mech they might feel is UP or doesn't fit their playstyle for extended periods of time might discourage potential players/clients.
Week long rentals means it would take 9 weeks to try out every mech available in CBE3 at 1 mech per week. So you either gamble 23h @100HC/15mins worth of grinding on a mech you haven't played or you wait 9 weeks.

I gave up on MWO becaus i had to grind 4 million_ credits on non-optimized non experience gaining mechs to buy a mech that had a similar loadout to what i played with in MW4 only to find out it sucked, and i didn't like it.

This wouldn't be an issue in a Pay to play game, sadly they won't get any of my micro transactions.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#5 Cyclonus

Cyclonus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 02:07 PM

I wish, all I need is the infiltrator.

#6 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted December 09 2012 - 02:55 PM

Out of the options in the poll, I thought that the choice between one mech of each class seemed the best, but personally I don't really mind starting with the Assault. I could see some sort of choice like Assault, Berserker or Brawler working (or Rocketeer if they keep the Noob Launcher aka Seeker).

But I like the idea of a discount on the first mech purchase too, so maybe reduce to half or even a third of the price on the first mech you buy so that you can try out a new mech quickly enough, and don't lose too much if it turns out it doesn't suit you.

Edited by DM30, December 09 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#7 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 09:13 PM

I agree with the 3rd option.  Fred's a good jumping off point all around, but a little more variety off the bat would help attract more customers.  I'd say Rocketeer in C-class (post Seeker nerf, obviously), Assault in B-class, and maybe Infil for variety, or Berserker for user-friendliness in A-class.

#8 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted December 10 2012 - 09:37 AM

Limit the choice to one of each class, if anything.

That said, won't be a problem for me, I'll start with two mechs and know the first thing I'll be doing is buying at least three more. :P
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#9 Astrolis

Astrolis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 11 2012 - 08:22 AM

Voted for Option 3. Any A-Class is better than no A-Class in my book.
Posted Image

#10 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted December 11 2012 - 08:29 AM

I voted no, since this can be abused to play as any mech as you please. Wanna try a new mech_ Get another account. Having a discount on the first mech you purchase may be good though.
Desert Fox

#11 Omega22

Omega22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted December 11 2012 - 10:53 AM

dream on...read asianjoykiller and beeman answer to this topic,even if it rained mech credits u are still stuck with the default mech...ready the grindstone

I see DeaD HawkeN PilotS and they all are  NooBS !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users