HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Old School is Back in School ( Hi All )

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 HeavyGear

HeavyGear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 11:37 PM

Posted Image
Drove this for 3 years (Battlefield 2142)
Posted Image
Piloted this for 2 years until it was cancelled (Exsteel)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Piloted this these beauties for about quite a few years no doubt (MechWarrior 3/4)
Posted ImagePosted Image
My personal favorite Mecha/FPS game to date, and what started me all on the techno/destructive thirst as shown above, Heavy Gear 2. Learning how to pilot a gear would make MechWarrior kids scream and cry for their mommies.No other game to date has as hard, and most efficient control schemes as this one above. *Yes it is old and it came out in 98, but I was in there fighting while all the kids fought inside of their shoebox fps combat games that consisted of only a few feet between good guys and bad guys aka Counterstrike / Unreal. This game had maps so big, it took 45 minutes to get from one side to another, and probably over 4 hours to completely make a circle, all of this was online too. Before Battlefield, I hated most fps games.
Posted Image
Posted under general mecha interests, a mmo I still play, and love (not the small population, but the insane learning curve, yes people I love hard games) Anarchy Online released circa 2001, started playing barely in 06, but getting to level 200, shadow level 20, lost eden level 60, and Alien level 30 makes a max level Mists of Panda Land Warcrafter look like "Droopy-Eyed Armless Children" - Charlie Sheen #Winning

Anyways, to throw some fuel on the fire I would like to say, I don't care if you played since day one closed beta, I can probably still kick your butt in any type of bipedal lumbering machine in the game or probably most any game. - Obligatory Elitist Comment ( Which is why I prefaced my initial history ).

Anyways, I am a nice guy, but I am a hard core gamer, and usually I don't play with people who aren't serious about their gaming.

My favorite Heavy Gear variant :

Razorback with dual heavy bazooka's, light rail gun, and a full compliment of 2x medium and 1x heavy field mortars. 55K TV

Daishi : 3 Clan Ultra AC 20's full Fibro Ferb Armor.

L5 Riesig : FTW

PS: Where my Gear Heads @_!

#2 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted December 09 2012 - 11:58 PM

I still play this game on pcsx2.

This game takes more skill to play  than any other I know. Especially the 3D space battles like this.

Edited by Deu, December 10 2012 - 01:00 AM.

Posted Image

#3 HeavyGear

HeavyGear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 02:07 AM

lol the first game, I have never played before, looks fun. But I must say, holy complete class action lawsuit batman, that entire design is almost identical to Armored Core. Which I TOTALLY FORGOT TO MENTION I PLAYED A WHOLE BUNCH OF... In its favor the controls seem a bit more fluid then AC but its also a bit more clunky, though I get feeling the difficulty comes from reaction times to specific actions. Also here is heavy gears take on space fighting http://youtu.be/ldn9ovKfAgs a bit more realistic imo, 360 degree thrusts, and you can literally get lost in space because the map has no barrier, I remember a group of 10 ffa multiplayer was fun as heck, gotta jump off the ship asap to keep from becoming a target, then find an asteroid and camp it until someone sniped you from behind.

Also notice the arrows on screen >             < they represent your bottom legs, while your mouse controls your upper torso, no other game does that, it's the only game I have played you don't have to turn around and or slow down to shoot almost behind you. It's also why that guy had bad aim in the video, because learning to sync your top with your bottom when turning to shoot can be tough, but if you got as good as I have, you can freaken go into sms mode (skate mode) right up the side of a ramped cliff engage to walk mode  jump right over the target, doing a 360 spin fire jump jet, then engage sms right as your bazooka rounds are landing on the target and you get to keep on rolling by.

Edited by HeavyGear, December 10 2012 - 02:48 AM.

#4 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted December 10 2012 - 03:01 AM

ahh, miss the walkers from 2142
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#5 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted December 10 2012 - 04:02 AM

I miss 2142 in general, Titan was a god-damn brilliant game mode.

Posted Image
Australian_ Like Hawken_ Then join the Drop Bears! Or actually maybe don't, since it's kind of dead.

#6 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted December 10 2012 - 07:06 AM

Damn I rally miss Heavy Gear 2.

I thought that Mechwarrior was the best until I played HG2 and promptly forgot all about MW.
Posted Image

#7 DEMENTIA71

DEMENTIA71

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted December 10 2012 - 07:07 AM

Mechwarrior 3/4. I miss those campaigns aboard my MAD CAT or my CATAPULT, I see that old school meets HAWKEN again.
I hope to see those old mechs pilots again here.
I have 41 years and I come riding these Battlemechs approximately 15 years ago.
I hope to learn from younger generations of pilots and also teach some of my experience in combat tactics with mechs.
Greetings!!

#8 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted December 12 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostEMEUTIER, on December 10 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

I thought that Mechwarrior was the best until I played HG2 and promptly forgot all about MW.
*facepalm* been trying to remember what HG2 was called for so long XD, its what got me into mech games, lol

Cheetah Mk2 + homing mortars :D
Posted Image
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#9 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida, USA

Posted December 12 2012 - 05:01 PM

this is what got me into it back when i was in elementary school. I still love Mad cat to this day, even got one of those metal "action figures" of him with the wolf clan markings.

Posted Image

Edited by Audible_Silence, December 12 2012 - 05:01 PM.

Posted Image

#10 mashup

mashup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 12 2012 - 05:01 PM

:)

#11 HeavyGear

HeavyGear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 03:56 AM

View PostArnieF4440, on December 12 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

*facepalm* been trying to remember what HG2 was called for so long XD, its what got me into mech games, lol

Haha glad to be of service.

PS: homing morts... Cheapest weapon evar! (But I want one for every multiplayer game I play) lol

#12 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 04:22 AM

View PostHeavyGear, on December 13 2012 - 03:56 AM, said:

View PostArnieF4440, on December 12 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Haha glad to be of service.

PS: homing morts... Cheapest weapon evar! (But I want one for every multiplayer game I play) lol
Hehe, that's why I was joking about it ... The Cheetah Mk2 was the fastest and you could just pwn everything with the homing mortar
Posted Image

#13 KingOfMonsters

KingOfMonsters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 05:19 AM

Just posting: Cosmic Break for pussies! (and welcome xD)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users