HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

You should be able to use items after over-heating..

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: You should be able to use items after over-heating.. (25 member(s) have cast votes)

You should be able to use items after over-heating_

1. Yes. (6 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

2. No. (18 votes [72.00%])

Percentage of vote: 72.00%

3. Just for a couple seconds more.. (1 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 10 2012 - 08:00 PM

That.

Or at least, pilots might enjoy with some few seconds to use items before everything goes offline for a while..

What ya think_

Once more, there is a poll in here; so go it!

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#2 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 10 2012 - 08:11 PM

Ideally you shouldn't be overheating :/

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#3 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 10 2012 - 08:34 PM

lrn2manageheat

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#4 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 10 2012 - 08:48 PM

@ReachH: This doesn't go to you, Ok_
Although ideally.. yes. But sometimes you can find yourself cornered in front of 3 heavies or something. Most of the times I'm not posting stuff to improve my performance in the game but to help others or to improve the game per se.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#5 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 08:54 PM

I don't see why you can't use SUPPORT items.

But offensive items feel should be a no.

#6 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted December 10 2012 - 08:58 PM

Makes sense. I don't see why a turret dispenser would overheat along with a mech's weapons. Then again, I don't see why weapons would overheat simultaneously when only one is being fired. Being unable to do anything functional whilst locked down is probably just a way to underscore the consequences of poor heat managementnot sure if allowing you to deploy items in these situations would diminish this in any meaningful way.

#7 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 10 2012 - 09:04 PM

It's just a rule of the game. Just be aware of your heat levels before committing to a battle. Sometimes if I get caught just after a kill I will only use secondary while I play cat and mouse and wait for a bit of cooling.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#8 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 10 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostRoundlay, on December 10 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

not sure if allowing you to deploy items in these situations would diminish this in any meaningful way.
Overheating takes what_ 5 seconds to cooldown_ EMP lasts for 4.5 seconds last I checked.
I see a lot of fights going like this if you could deploy items after overheating.
  • Shoot till your overheat.
  • EMP enemy.
  • Overheat cools off about the same time EMP wears off.
To me, that sounds dumb.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#9 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted December 10 2012 - 11:42 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 10 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

To me, that sounds dumb.

Your example only speaks to a single functional item and not to the overall effects of items being unaffected by weapon overheating.

#10 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted December 11 2012 - 12:11 AM

I'm against this idea because it severely reduces the consequences of overheating, which interferes with weapon balance (if there's no consequence to overheating, you don't need to be as careful with weapons like the vulcan, flak, and mini-flak). Overheated while fighting_ Just hit them with an EMP, HE charge, or Detonator, or run away and drop a turret or shield behind you. Or managed to finish them off just before you overheated, and need to quickly repair before more of them show up_ Don't worry, just drop a turret and a health charge or a shield first, and increase your survivability massively.

Edited by SirCannonFodder, December 11 2012 - 12:15 AM.

Posted Image
Australian_ Like Hawken_ Then join the Drop Bears! Or actually maybe don't, since it's kind of dead.

#11 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 11 2012 - 12:12 AM

View PostRoundlay, on December 10 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 10 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

To me, that sounds dumb.
Your example only speaks to a single functional item and not to the overall effects of items being unaffected by weapon overheating.
Let's say the have the Detonator or the HE Charge.
In that case they can effectively still shoot after they're supposed to not be able to shoot.
If they have a shield, they don't have to try and place it before or during combat. They can just go nuts, overheat and then "OOPS I OVRHEETED BETAR PLOP DOWN A SHEILD 4 EZ PROTEKCHUN CUZ I DIDN'T PAY ATENSHUN"

Overheating is supposed to be punishment for bad heat management. Being able to use items during overheat is another "cater to the unskilled" mechanic.
You've either got items that will allow good players to at least partially nullify the overheat on the rare occasions they do making them even harder to kill, or giving them a free Get-Out-of-Overheat-Card, or people who won't really be able to make any significant use of the function.

AJK is right

#12 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted December 11 2012 - 12:13 AM

The gameplay side of me says no, people should be punished for overheating"
The sense making side of me says "well, it makes sense".

I think gameplay>sensemaking though :P
Posted Image

#13 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted December 11 2012 - 12:55 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 11 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

Overheating is supposed to be punishment for bad heat management.

Exactly. Like I said, in an earlier post.

Incredibly difficult to talk to the extent that a change like this would have on gameplay. Brainstorming only gets you so far.

#14 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 11 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostRoundlay, on December 11 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

Incredibly difficult to talk to the extent that a change like this would have on gameplay. Brainstorming only gets you so far.
Perhaps. But if you think about things beforehand, you can see how they might just end up being too stupid in the first place, and you can avoid them by not implementing silly ideas.

If you think about things beforehand, you can avoid looking foolish by offering suggestions that are obviously in conflict with the intended mechanics.

AJK is right

#15 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 11 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 11 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

View PostRoundlay, on December 11 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

Perhaps. But if you think about things beforehand, you can see how they might just end up being too stupid in the first place, and you can avoid them by not implementing silly ideas.

If you think about things beforehand, you can avoid looking foolish by offering suggestions that are obviously in conflict with the intended mechanics.

"Stupid... silly... foolish"... woah... I just wanna have you visiting the UK servers very often in OB1.. lol.

Posted Image

#16 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 11 2012 - 12:58 PM

Jokes a side.. AJK has a point up there. That's why I somehow anticipated to isolated cases like that in the oll by adding the "just some few seconds after overheating". If you wish, just one second or 1,5 secs in order to give pilots a chance to react. Again, I'm mostly pointing at those situations in which you may find yourself facing off several opponents with little ( or no ) chances to survive the clash..

If this proto-suggestion may help the game then fine. If it may not be of help then to hell with it. But I still think that this should be evaluated to check whether it may add value or not to the game. Honestly.. and one more thing, AJK... not all mechas are carrying an EMP during the fight; thing which I do also like to see...

Posted Image

#17 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 11 2012 - 02:35 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on December 11 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Honestly.. and one more thing, AJK... not all mechas are carrying an EMP during the fight; thing which I do also like to see...
Most of the people I play with, almost all who are interesting in competitive play, carry EMPs. That's where I'm coming from, just as an FYI.

AJK is right

#18 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 11 2012 - 02:41 PM

IIRC, whilst overheating, you still have half a second (or was even 1 sec_) to use items. Isn't it_ Correct me if I'm wrong..

Edited by The_Silencer, December 11 2012 - 05:23 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted December 11 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 11 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

lol

[Edit] "lol" clarification: I've no idea why you're addressing this to me. I would've assumed my first post was "thinking about things beforehand", especially in contrast with other comments in this thread, like "lrn2manageheat".

Edited by Roundlay, December 11 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#20 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 11 2012 - 06:39 PM

HA! :D

Let's see how it works tomorrow.. ;)

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users