HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken Free to Play / Trial_

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Provi

Provi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 11:37 AM

Many developers are going out of their way to make free to play versions of their games (TF2, FEARC, APB, BF P4F, GRO, TA, BLR).

While at first glance Hawken doesn't look like an easy candidate, I can imagine a few ways Adhesive could pull it off (art asset creation is their strong suit after all).

But what do you think_

Could Hawken be a viable free to play game_
Or should it just have a trial_

#2 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 11:52 AM

I believe that Microsoft requires all titles on the Xbox Live Arcade Marketplace to include a free trial version of the game. Should Hawken make its way to this Arcade space, you can expect to see the same deal.

#3 Provi

Provi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 10:02 PM

lavalamp1138 said:

I believe that Microsoft requires all titles on the Xbox Live Arcade Marketplace to include a free trial version of the game. Should Hawken make its way to this Arcade space, you can expect to see the same deal.
How about a free to play model_ Do you think that's viable_

#4 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 10:21 PM

Provi said:

Not if Hawken is a multiplatform title. Even hypothetically, indie studios generally don't have the financial safety net to protect themselves from the initial hit that inevitably comes with monetized freeware titles; risking on that severely high gamble just to become a runaway success isn't very business sound.

#5 Provi

Provi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted July 15 2011 - 05:52 AM

lavalamp1138 said:

Provi said:

Not if Hawken is a multiplatform title. Even hypothetically, indie studios generally don't have the financial safety net to protect them from the initial hit that inevitably comes with monetized freeware titles; risking on that severely high gamble just to become a runaway success isn't very business sound.
Good point. They would have far more servers to run for free players as well.

#6 Maligkno

Maligkno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted July 15 2011 - 10:50 AM

Free to play has become a huge succes in the resent years, making sometimes even more profit than charging a retal price, and bocose this is an indie game 15 dollars a pop its not much compared to the revenue microtransactions give, just look at league of leguends or TF2, they are making tons of money whit this buisness model.

The question is:  is it viable for hawken_

I think it is, at least for pc where geting real money currency for the game is easier than xboxlive or psn.

As long as the selling items do not brake the balance and are purely cosmetical it can succed but its up to the developers and their partners, honestly i think this is gona be a 20$ game and that will be the end of it.

Posted Image

#7 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted July 16 2011 - 08:38 AM

I do personally believe in that an online demo with one playable map only might be the way.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#8 CornR

CornR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUruguay

Posted July 16 2011 - 12:30 PM

I think this game would make a huge impact if released as F2P.
All my friends would download this right away and it would create a massive community and fanbase.

Though I think the devs may not want to go F2P  :( .

#9 Provi

Provi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted July 16 2011 - 12:52 PM

CornP said:

Though I think the devs may not want to go F2P  :( .
I was thinking about that too. But since their strength is creating game objects, maybe they could sell cosmetic shells, limbs and weapons.

They could do what EA did with Battlefield 2. After they released it, they used the same engine to create Battlefield Heroes and Play4Free. Likewise, Adhesive could sell Hawken as a traditional game first, and then they could develop a new version of it as a free to play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users