HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Forum suggestion! Police!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ZedFontaine

ZedFontaine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUtrecht, NL

Posted August 02 2011 - 04:07 AM

Yes! I have seen that in one nights time, our little piece of heaven has attracted the wrong kinda attention, sure the post counts are nice, but it's quantity over quality.

I, Zed Fontaine, hereby request (more) forum mods be recruited! Maybe from another time zone_
Let the bots rumble in rage!

#2 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted August 02 2011 - 09:02 AM

ZedFontaine said:

Yes! I have seen that in one nights time, our little piece of heaven has attracted the wrong kinda attention, sure the post counts are nice, but it's quantity over quality.
Are you referring to the spam the forums get or the fights that have gone on_
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#3 ZedFontaine

ZedFontaine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUtrecht, NL

Posted August 02 2011 - 10:00 AM

The spam, really. Arguing is good for a community, just keep it civil is all I say.

#4 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted August 02 2011 - 06:18 PM

ZedFontaine said:

The spam, really. Arguing is good for a community, just keep it civil is all I say.
Yeah, they need some spam filter or something. Not just a code you gotta type in, it's obviously not fast enough to be an automated bot... I'm not sure how many of the devs participate in moderation of the forums (or if it's just Lava), though the spam is really tiring and it'd be nice not to have it happen in the first place. (FYI admins and mods, I believe only spammers set ICQ in their profile.)

At times there has been some very uncivil arguing going on here, thankfully it's calmed down at the moment (you can probably find the remnants of the big one in the threads all over the board though).
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#5 SixEcho

SixEcho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted August 02 2011 - 07:55 PM

I would second this motion, advirts have really gone up quite a bit.

#6 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted August 29 2011 - 05:59 PM

Is this still much of an issue_  Jon updated the registration process to make it harder for bots to join the forum, and we deleted a bunch of obvious spam accounts (although I'm sure there are still quite a few there lying in wait).  

I haven't noticed any suspicious new registrations since so hopefully it's less of a problem now.

#7 ZedFontaine

ZedFontaine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUtrecht, NL

Posted August 29 2011 - 06:17 PM

Yea, looks like that did the trick, lovely!

#8 [HWK]BobEntropy

[HWK]BobEntropy

Technical Director

• Adhesive Games
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA

Posted August 31 2011 - 03:23 PM

Nice looks like I finally found a way to keep the forum spammers out. I had messed with the settings on the letters in an image CAPTCHA types (which I could barely read myself, sometimes not at all,) and it never made a difference. Then eventually I switched it to a single simple question about something Hawken forum specific, and looks like spammer registrations immediately stopped completely.

Makes me wonder how they were doing it, didn't seem to be completely automated, but must not be people manually registering using the page or we would still get some spammers. I figure they must automate part of it and farm out the CAPTCHA solving process, so for the standard CAPTCHAs it didn't help, but once there's something forum specific they can't register.

#9 SixEcho

SixEcho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted September 02 2011 - 07:59 AM

A traditional failsafe I have found is to simply make the FAQ or Forums Rules section a public forum so non-members can read it and hide a password inside one of the posts. It will force people to actually read the rules and/or FAQ before joining the forum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users