HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

how to reset resolution

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida, USA

Posted December 12 2012 - 11:55 PM

accidently set resolution wrong and now the game wont start up. "Failed to create d3d9 device"
Tried to reinstall game but i guess it saved the resolution settings.

how do i solve this_ doesnt look like ill be playing tonight...

Posted Image

#2 Usher

Usher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted December 12 2012 - 11:40 PM

what version of windows are you running and what is your screen res_

#3 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 12 2012 - 11:42 PM

The *easiest* way is to delete a specific INI file, and it'll restore you back to default graphics settings. A more involved but unsupported way is to edit the INI file manually.

Locate this file: (My) DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfigHawkenSystemSettings.ini

If you're okay with losing your graphics settings and having to reset them all (this will not reset your keybindings or anything like that), delete this file and then launch Hawken. It will have the default graphics just like the first time you ran it and you can set it up again.

If you're comfortable editing the INI file, open it instead of deleting it. I want to point out that this is not supported by Adhesive/Meteor, and if you change anything in here other than exactly what I tell you to, I'm not responsible for whatever happens to your graphics. (And if you DO mess up, just delete HawkenSystemSettings.ini and deal with having to set up all the graphics over again.)

Do a find for "ResX=" and you'll find these two lines (your numbers will be different; my resolution is currently 1280x800):

ResX=1280
ResY=800

Change those to your desired resolution, save the file, and then open Hawken. If you don't know what resolution is best, the default resolution is ResX=1280 and ResY=720.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#4 Usher

Usher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted December 12 2012 - 11:45 PM

View PostElix, on December 12 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

The *easiest* way is to delete a specific INI file, and it'll restore you back to default graphics settings. A more involved but unsupported way is to edit the INI file manually.

Locate this file: (My) DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfigHawkenSystemSettings.ini

If you're okay with losing your graphics settings and having to reset them all (this will not reset your keybindings or anything like that), delete this file and then launch Hawken. It will have the default graphics just like the first time you ran it and you can set it up again.

If you're comfortable editing the INI file, open it instead of deleting it. I want to point out that this is not supported by Adhesive/Meteor, and if you change anything in here other than exactly what I tell you to, I'm not responsible for whatever happens to your graphics. (And if you DO mess up, just delete HawkenSystemSettings.ini and deal with having to set up all the graphics over again.)

Do a find for "ResX=" and you'll find these two lines (your numbers will be different; my resolution is currently 1280x800):

ResX=1280
ResY=800

Change those to your desired resolution, save the file, and then open Hawken. If you don't know what resolution is best, the default resolution is ResX=1280 and ResY=720.

Thanks for the post Elix

#5 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 12 2012 - 11:46 PM

You're welcome. And welcome to Hawken!

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#6 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida, USA

Posted December 13 2012 - 12:29 AM

fixed kinda, went into hawkensettings.ini file and changed resx and resy to 1920x1080. if i put my resolution to 1600x1200, it blacks out and i have to restart to get back to comp and change the .INI file again.  cuz of this i am not going to try and change the resolution. guess ill just leave my settings on medium for the time being.SORRY, WOULDNT LEMME POST SO I START PLAYING...

Edited by Audible_Silence, December 13 2012 - 12:30 AM.

Posted Image

#7 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 09:36 AM

U could try 1280x720 because most 1080p monitors and TVs support 720p.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#8 Danjoh

Danjoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostElix, on December 12 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

ResX=1280
ResY=800

Thanks, this solved my issue, but it was a slightly different one.
The default settings of 1280x720 would start the game, but the right edge of the screen would be cut off so the option menu button wouldn't fit in.
Changing it to 1920x1080 fixed the aspect and I can now enter the menu again =)

#9 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 07:56 PM

Yeah, so many monitors and other display devices out there...it all comes down to aspect ratio.  But I've seen display devices with improper coding to support lower resolutions.  Example is an Optima projector my friend has.  It's a 720p projector, but it displays best at 1280x800 !  So it gets screwy sometimes.  Blame display manufacturers for improper DCC coding.

Edited by machmanx, December 14 2012 - 07:57 PM.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#10 JesseJamesDean

JesseJamesDean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted December 16 2012 - 02:02 AM

im not sure if this is what you guys are on about but i just downloaded Hawken and when i start up my screen i shifted way right and i cant see the menus or anything of importance. I really want to play.

#11 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 16 2012 - 02:21 AM

View PostJesseJamesDean, on December 16 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

im not sure if this is what you guys are on about but i just downloaded Hawken and when i start up my screen i shifted way right and i cant see the menus or anything of importance. I really want to play.
Try following the instructions in my post further up in this thread and set Hawken to your native desktop resolution. See if that fixes the issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users