HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HELP! UDK PC under $2,000

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1lb_4Effect

1lb_4Effect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted September 02 2011 - 04:01 PM

I'm requesting from the Developers, PC gamers or anyone. Can you help me make PC thats has the budget under $2000_ That can run the UDK engine.

#2 HitmonInfinity

HitmonInfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted September 04 2011 - 06:32 AM

This is actually very easy to do.  If you build the pc yourself, practically any pc configuration under 2k will more than get the job done.

#3 [HWK]BobEntropy

[HWK]BobEntropy

Technical Director

• Adhesive Games
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA

Posted September 06 2011 - 10:41 AM

Our development PCs for Hawken were built for under $1,000 a piece (not including monitors.) We mostly ordered parts from NewEgg and assembled them ourselves. As an example my machine has an Intel I7 950 CPU, Nvidia GTX 460 1 Gig, 8 gigs RAM, Windows 7 64-bit, 2 Terabyte HD.

That was a year ago, not sure the current best deal but 2K budget sounds like plenty.

#4 tRens

tRens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 04:21 AM

JonKreuzer said:

Our development PCs for Hawken were built for under $1,000 a piece (not including monitors.) We mostly ordered parts from NewEgg and assembled them ourselves. As an example my machine has an Intel I7 950 CPU, Nvidia GTX 460 1 Gig, 8 gigs RAM, Windows 7 64-bit, 2 Terabyte HD.

That was a year ago, not sure the current best deal but 2K budget sounds like plenty.

It is pretty amazing what you can get for under 1k, and I bet that will play other new games quite fast.

#5 1lb_4Effect

1lb_4Effect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 02:55 PM

Thank you everyone :) are you ready for my pc.....
Processor Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling CoolIT ECO II 240mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Dual Radiator - 2x ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
Memory 12 GB [4 GB X3] DDR3-1600 - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB - EVGA Superclocked - Core: 900MHz - SLI Mode (Dual Cards)
Motherboard [3-Way SLI] Gigabyte G1.Guerrilla w/ Killer Network Technology
Motherboard USB / SATA Interface Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface
Power Supply1000 Watt
Primary Hard Drive1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Optical Drive 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Labor Day Sale! LG BLU-RAY Reader Combo Drive Black
Meter Display NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller & Temperature Display
Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

---Thanks Jon :) for the info :)
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit
Monitor 19" LCD 1366x768 -- Sceptre X195W-Naga
Extras Network LAN Surge Protector - Assures Integrity and Stability of Data Communications + Strengthens System Immunity against Electrostatic Discharges
Power Protection Surge Suppressor - APC Performance SurgeArrest 11 Outlet

#6 tRens

tRens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted September 17 2011 - 09:26 PM

Hey there I am looking over your system.

Are you building this yourself_ If you're I have some suggestions to make it a bit better I believe.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

Nothing to say really, though the i7 950 is around 50-60 bucks cheaper on Newegg. I am sure you could OC it to the 960 level without any trouble on air in moments.

Another thing while we're talking about cheaper parts that can do about the same thing. I believe the I7 920 if you can find one. Will be cheaper and can do just about the same thing for less.

The big difference between the i7 960 and the i7 920 is that the multi on the 960 is up to 24 while the 920 will only go to a multi of 20.

http://www.anandtech... ... 100-tested

You should read that as you might just want to skip x58 / socket 1366 altogether.

Processor Cooling Cool IT ECO II 240mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Dual Radiator - 2x ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade

If you're not going to overclock the cpu as much as possible this might be a waste, and the money saved by just using the stock fan/sink, I am currently using the stock on my i7 980x.

You could save a bit of money I believe here and spend it on something that would make the computer quite a bit faster. I will get to the faster part later.

Memory 12 GB [4 GB X3] DDR3-1600 - Corsair or Major Brand

Memory is cheap now.. Though you probably want to Google the mobo you're going to buy to see what memory modules are definitely supported and user experiences.

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB - EVGA Super clocked - Core: 900MHz - SLI Mode (Dual Cards)

I have bought lots of video cards and I usually buy EVGA, make sure the one you're buying comes with the limited lifetime warranty.

Sli is overrated ... unless you're OC'n your machine / running at resolutions higher than 1920x1080, though I haven't read the new video card reviews. If two of these is cheaper than a gtx 580 and faster then go for it. I find SLI to be a waste though, more parts more problems.

http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/  <- got the link for you.

I tend to stay away from the super clocked version of the cards.. 20 MHz isn't going to make a huge difference.

Motherboard [3-Way SLI] Gigabyte G1.Guerrilla w/ Killer Network Technology

Don't have time to look it up.

Power Supply1000 Watt

If you're just using one video card this is overkill and even with dual/sli setup I'm sure you could get away with a smaller cheaper one that will do just as good.

Primary Hard Drive1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

This is the biggest change you can make that will have the most impact.

I would do this if I were you. Buy 1 SSD 40-60GB and use that as your OS drive, nothing else on it. Then have either have another SSD Raid0 setup for gaming .. I have a raid0 2x40gb .. I don't install much more than 80gb of games.. and stuff loads amazing fast from SSDs.. Google them.

Then have another drive, not SSD, of around 1TB-2TB for storage and other applications that don't need to load as fast as can be like SSD.

Monitor 19" LCD 1366x768 -- Sceptre X195W-Naga

You do not need a SLI setup to run at that resolution.. it is a waste...... I'm not sure if you meant you were going to buy two gtx 560s or not.. do not if you're going to use that monitor at that resolution.

Save money on other parts and buy a better monitor.

http://www.newegg.co... ... 6824236103

Get one of those or something near it.

The other thing is if you are not going to buy speakers for your system at least buy a good set of headphones.

I have these > http://www.newegg.co... ... &Tpk=hd650  of course your will need a mic to attach to it.

Or if the sound quality doesn't have to be that good, you still need a headset.

I have a --  http://www.newegg.co... ... headphones -- and they're in my opinion the best I've owned, but the HD650s sound way better.

If you're going to buy a sound card buy something good..

I've got a http://www.newegg.co... ... 6829102033 -- and it is hooked into my z5500 via fiber .. DTS / Dolby encoding is done on the card and it sounds awesome.

These are just my humble suggestions they're not the best.. as there is always someone out there that knows more than me. ;)

Excuse all mistakes I've been drinking!

My current rig is going to be the last time I buy a 1k CPU. I did it once and it wasn't that cool :(. I could have not bought the i7 980x and saved 500$ to spend on other stuff, beer.

http://dl.dropbox.co.../currentrig.jpg

That is my current rig above. I could have not bought the i7 980x and I'd still be gaming the same as I am right now. I would however have 500$+ to spend on other things as I said above.

This was built two years ago I believe right around the time the i7 980x was new.

http://www.tomshardw... ... ,3007.html

Tom's is trustworthy if you haven't built your machine yet, give the link above a read.

tRens

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users