HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Brawler is a waste of money.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Brojo

Brojo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted December 19 2012 - 09:28 AM

If you wanted a mech that is somehow better overall than the Recruit, then it is you who is missing the point. The point is to avoid paying for power. Otherwise this becomes a Pay-to-Win situation. The Recruit is well rounded so that free players don't feel like the are being punished for not spending money. The mechs aren't extremely differentiated in order to preserve a degree of balance. The free temporary access to a Scout and Rocketeer provides a baseline on what you can expect from other mechs in the light and heavy catagory. I disagree with the statement that the game is unbalanced. I'm not saying its without its faults. I, too, would like a better variety between mechs of the same weight class. Instead of "unbalanced," Hawken may feel a little too "balanced" at times. There isn't a sense of increased power when you get a new mech. In fact, you will likely feel weaker since you yourself have less experience with the mech. This is compounded by the fact that the new mech needs to be leveled up as well. I don't like the leveling system on this point. (Yes, I understand the need to sell boosts, but there needs to be a sense of progression retained between mechs. Pilot specialization perhaps.) One cannot abuse a mech's strong points to cover a skill gap between pilots. I write "abuse" intentionally because one should still consider all advantages to be utilized properly.

Your friend complains about a lack of tactical depth but writes about tactics for a lone mech. He failed to consider teamplay options. Flushing and hunting packs are highly effective offensive strategies one must consider, given that any mech will need to repair at some point. The decision of when to repair is an important point during a pitched battle. I admit the physics complaint deserves consideration. Varied damage hitboxes would be a nice addition but would have significant gameplay ramifications on the value of accurate weapons and disrupt the current balance. I also feel like hes looking for a mech simulation game over a mech combat game. He is outright wrong about turning speed caps. They are in place and have an impact in close combat. And then he moves on to more wishful thinking that this is another mech simulation. I don't think we are going to see localized mech damage. He then provides a list of things, many of which are in the works (mostly the graphical adjustments, the party system is on its way), some of which are already in game (adjustable FoV and there are destructable objects here and there that you crush as you walk over, boxes that become damaged when they get hit). This isn't MWO. Body part damage is probably not going to happen. Armor/health being displayed as a number provides at-a-glance information well enough. Having some mech doll body part representation on the hud would feel out of place given that the mechs are basically junked together.

Its nice that you condemn a community at large. Sweeping generalizations make it easy to dismiss you as ignorant. You will not be missed.

#22 SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

Technical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted December 19 2012 - 08:32 PM

I'm not a game designer on the project, but I can tell you the flak cannon has the highest dps of any primary in the game.  I would be surprised to see the dps go up.  

A lot of this game is based on play style.  The CR-T is a good mech, but personally, I don't like the play style.  I love my Scout to death, and I'm learning to love the Grenadier.  I've also been known to jump in a Brawler from time to time, with great joy mind you.

#23 Entity

Entity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNiyabainen IV - Moon 1 - CNAP

Posted December 21 2012 - 06:33 AM

*cough*

Posted Image

*ahem*

Posted Image

Clearly the Brawler is terrible! Oh wait!

#24 Seedling

Seedling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 02:04 PM

Brawler has a 3-star difficulty, but I think that's underrated. If Grenadier is 4.5 stars, Brawler is at least a 5. That's why people complain about it. They don't realise how difficult it is to master, but once you do you are a force to be reckoned with.

Brawler is like an elephant ninja. Hard to miss, but if it does sneak up on you, you are about to be gored and trampled. And if you unlock EMP, it's an elephant ninja in a dark room wearing nightvision goggles.

#25 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 08:44 PM

all of the mechs suck if you're on a bad team, that's just the unfortunate truth.

can't play brawler since people just run up behind you and your teammate flys off elsewhere leaving you to fend for yourself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users