HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Dedicated servers or P2P_

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Dedicated server or P2P_ (115 member(s) have cast votes)

Dedicated server or P2P_

1. Dedicated server (98 votes [92.45%])

Percentage of vote: 92.45%

2. P2P (8 votes [7.55%])

Percentage of vote: 7.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 11:22 AM

Killien said:

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is mods could work on P2P, just need some precautions to keep them from going viral
It's a pain in the aft and doesn't work nearly as well. Dedi needs implemented for any DECENT modding to happen.

ThinkTank said:

Dedicated servers, TF2 style. Meaning, a F2P game with totally independent dedicated servers, free to mod, and do as they please.
Very much this.

#22 Killien

Killien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 12:30 PM

Arseface said:

It's a pain in the aft and doesn't work nearly as well. Dedi needs implemented for any DECENT modding to happen.
Agreed, just saying mods are possible on P2P
I remember there were "dedicated" hosts available for MW2 at least, tho I think it was basically an XBox on a really good connection

#23 Ketran

Ketran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted February 21 2012 - 03:37 AM

I'm adding a poll to this thread, get voting Hawkeneers. (Yes that is now the name of Hawken fans, problem officer_)

#24 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted February 25 2012 - 08:32 PM

They are going to be dedicated servers for now.

Not P2P.
Naraklok

#25 Keekenox

Keekenox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationThe internetz

Posted March 08 2012 - 07:06 AM

dedicated is great it allows for groups of people to congregate on specific servers and that is always fun, playing with people you know.
"A conversation is a dialogue, not a monologue. That's why there are so few good conversations: due to scarcity, two intelligent talkers seldom meet."
Wandering gun #45

#26 Arterio

Arterio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted September 18 2012 - 07:08 AM

I have the ability to host servers, hosted a few TF2 severs in the day that managed to make it into the top 95th percentile on GameTracker for a while. I currently host a TS3 server, but since a lot of the major titles don't release the dedicated server files, it's not possible to support those games for my clan, BF3 is an example.

I'd love if the dedicated server files for this game were released to the public.
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth P67 | 32GB DDR3-1600 | ATI Radeon HD 5870 | Asus Xonar DX 7.1
2 x 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 RAID-0 | Pioneer DVR-212D sATA DVD+-RW
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

- Knowing when to go along with the system, and when not to is a crucial tactic of everyday life.

#27 FirstSgtDan

FirstSgtDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, SP - Brazil

Posted September 19 2012 - 05:16 PM

Err... Why not both_
Posted Image

#28 Namru9

Namru9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted September 25 2012 - 08:24 AM

Dedi all the way, works best for a clan base.

Posted Image

#29 Ganelon

Ganelon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted September 25 2012 - 08:32 AM

I'm not sure, dedicated servers would be the obvious choice but you have to consider that they cost money and that this game is F2P.

IIntel i7-3820 3.6GHzI8GB DDR3INvidia GeForce GTX 670IAsus AsRock 79 Extreme 3IWestern Digital Caviar Green 1.5TBI

#30 Devilcryism

Devilcryism

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted October 08 2012 - 02:53 AM

Dedicated, p2p just begs for NAT problems and many players complaining.
Posted Image

#31 ROCKDUD

ROCKDUD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 07:22 AM

Use Both. Dedicated servers for large groups and generally open-access playing; and p2p for a few lan games, or games played with 1 or 2 friends.
But of course, if implementation is too hard, definitely Dedi.

#32 WickedSoN

WickedSoN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 13 2012 - 11:41 AM

If you do not go dedicated servers, this game will fail.
P2P is for consoles, any game worth playing on the PC has dedicated servers. You need an accurate, easy to use server browser with sort functionality for ping, name, game type, player size/count, map choice and the ability to use filters to sort the servers out. Also need an easy way for friends to join on a server together. \

Bonus points if you can figure a way to keep friends grouped together on the same side (not an easy task I know). This game BEGS for good clan teamwork and should emphasize this by giving players the ability to work together.Clan tags, platoons (ala battlelog), and teamwork oriented experience needs to be added where ever possible. Make GROUPS of people want to play this game, not just lone wolves.

I just got done playing for the first time and had a blast. I hope you can take this game to the top of the charts, it really has potential. Best of luck.

#33 Woobins

Woobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted December 29 2012 - 07:51 PM

Everytime someone says P2P I think of Spacemarine, and matchmaking doesn't escape it either.

What a horrible fuzzy bunny mess that was. Granted there are other games that made use of matchmaking/p2p and are okay..ish, but I find the concept of player empowerment far better than forcing players to be categorized and sorted and is not conducive to an organic group of people willing to play together in teams.

Dedicated servers please.

Edited by Woobins, December 29 2012 - 07:54 PM.

THREADS -{  Who wins_ -//- Alternative EMP -//- Hawken OST_ }

Posted Image

#34 Darkbolt

Darkbolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 10:38 AM

I have been saying this for over a year now "stop wasting time trying to make a match maker that no one wants" "Clans with no servers of their own to host=usless period" Having some one host on the machine they play on=BAD look at a game called "vindictus" you go into instances with the host to fight but its REALLY bad lag cuz the person hosting the instance has fuzzy bunny connection/cpu.

I am so sick of all this effort to fix match maker its is a POS no matter what you try to do to it we need a server browser and the choice to host our own servers and join the server we choose not just tossed into a random server (99% of the time you get flung into a disfuctional team that is worthless).

Fact is that once/if they give us a server browser back who will use match maker_ I know i wont!! all this effort to fix it for WHAT!! I would love to have/buy a server prog that i can host my own games on a dedicated box!!  not this instance host garbage NOT match makers and all this consol garbage that does NOT work on PC. After all this is off my chest in the end i agree totally lolz Srry for the rant but all this make PC into consol stuff is making me really mad!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users