HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

do you have a 32 bit system_ getting "out of memory" errors_

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Darkbolt

Darkbolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 03:56 PM

ok so this issue has plagued me FOREVER!! the infamious "out of memory error" on 32 bit win 7. Ya know the one that allowes you to play half a match maybe a full match if your lucky then crashes you to desktop_

ATTENTION FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE GUIDLINES WILL RESULT IN POTENTIAL COMPUTER PROBLEMS!! IF YOU DO NOT MEET THE REQURMENTS LISTED BELOW DO NOT!!! ATTEMPT THIS FIX PERIOD!!

-MUST have win xp/win 7 32bit os
-MUST have NO LESS THEN 4 GIGS OF RAM **NO LESS THEN 4 GIGS!!**

You want to make more memory available to your Autodesk application by enable the 3GB switch on your 32 bit version of Windows Vista™, Windows 7 or Windows XP operating systems.
While the 3GB switch may be a useful tool that allows you to access more memory for your Autodesk application, it should be mentioned that not all Windows updates or hardware and graphics drivers work well, or at all, with the 3GB switch enabled.  In fact, some limitations may even apply to certain features that ship with your Autodesk application.
If you experience any unexpected or abnormal behavior with the 3GB switch enabled, we recommend that you disable it and move to a 64 bit application.
Note: Inventor users should reference this link from the Inventor WikiHelp regarding the limitations of the 3GB switch.

Solution

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7:
  • Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
  • At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"
  • Restart the computer.
To disable the 3GB switch:
  • Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
  • At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"
  • Restart the computer.

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows XP:
  • Right-click My Computer. Click Properties.
  • In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
  • On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
  • In the Startup and Recovery dialog box, under System startup, click Edit. The Windows boot.ini file will be opened in Microsoft® Notepad.
  • Create a backup copy of the boot.ini file. Note: Boot.ini files may vary from computer to computer.
  • Select the following line in the boot.ini file:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

• Press Ctrl+C to copy the line and then press Ctrl+V to paste it immediately below the original line.

Note: Your text string may be different from the text string in this solution, so be sure to copy the text string from your boot.ini file, and not the text string included here.
  • Modify the copied line to include “ /3GB”, as shown in the following example:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /3GB /fastdetect

Note: Do not overwrite any existing lines.
  • Save and close the boot.ini file.
  • Click OK to close each dialog box.
  • Restart your computer.
  • During startup, select the 3GB option. If you do not select the 3GB option, the system will default to the 2GB total memory setting.

Note: If problems occur during startup, you may try to resolve the issue by updating some of your drivers.  However, recall the notice at the beginning of this solutions that note all Windows update or hardware and graphics drivers work with the 3GB switch enabled.

For more information on the 3GB switch, refer to the following Microsoft MSDN article:
http://msdn.microsof...y/ff556232.aspx

END NOTES: During tests i was able to play 4 full games of hawken with no out of memory error. I have 4 gigs of ram and SLI GTX 260 216 multi cores. Before this fix i was lucky to make it through one match now i play 4 or more. Since this fix i have not crashed once due to out of memory but i will add that this was tested in 4 matches and i am not certain how many you can play before you crash or if you crash at all.

If you meet the requirments listed in this post and have implimented this fix with no issues please post here if it helps alot/little or not at all and how many matches you could play before running out of memory. As stated this was only tested up to FOUR matches with no crashes beyond 4 matches im un certain.

Darkbolt- Warped edge Entertainment

#2 Eroneouse

Eroneouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 04:45 PM

I have seen this fix posted on a few games forums, even used it once on lotro but happily no out of mem error on my XP in this game.

#3 Darkbolt

Darkbolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 05:13 PM

I have been playing for an hour solid NO crashes 7 matches or so woot!

#4 TJ

TJ

Former Lead Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationHAWKEN HQ

Posted December 30 2012 - 12:26 AM

This is a good solution (until we get the memory firmly under budget). Someone should pin this or add it to the FAQ.
email me if you need some dev love <3 | Poor performance_ Send me specs, I try fix for you!!

#5 Darkbolt

Darkbolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 05:59 PM

thank you and yes this should be pinned immediatly :D

Edited by Darkbolt, December 30 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#6 skidrowsatan

skidrowsatan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 02:30 PM

thanks dude i will try it, hopefully can fix my launcher crash ran out of virtual memory

#7 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted January 05 2013 - 08:14 PM

Darkbolt, can you link some successes to this post_  I'm just curious to see how many people this helped out with.  They should post something here that says it helped, then I can recommend to others.  *sigh*

Edited by machmanx, January 05 2013 - 08:39 PM.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#8 Darkbolt

Darkbolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted January 06 2013 - 02:20 PM

Well i can say is it worked for me!! and is still working as we speak. Not one single crash for me since i did this. As for others i have no idea no one has really got back on here and mention if it worked for them or not. Nor have i heard any "not working" ones either. I am fairly confident that if the instructions and requirments are met to impliment this fix it should work.

And it will also fix other games that suffer from "over buget ram" on 32 bit clients/OS  eg...Planetside 2. As with anything there is a all be it small risk something will go wrong but in the wise words of yoda "do or do not...there is no try" :D

#9 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted January 06 2013 - 07:50 PM

I saw one post in another topic, don't remember which, who said your suggestion helped them.  They should've posted that here.  Though I wonder how many other people it helped.

Edit: Found one.  Here's a link:

http://community.pla...virtual-memory/

Edited by machmanx, January 26 2013 - 01:37 PM.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#10 _Knocker_

_Knocker_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 02:18 AM

IT WORKS!!! Thanks a lot!

My Game crashed because of this issue about every 30-60 min. It was so frustrating, playing in a party was almost impossible.

Then I did what u explanined and yesterday i played for 5 hours, non stop and without a single crash.

I bow down and say great great great!

Greetings,

_Knocker_

AND: Could this post be pinned_ It's so worthy!

Edited by _Knocker_, September 19 2013 - 02:26 AM.

#11 AESTHETIC_GOD

AESTHETIC_GOD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 09:47 PM

this fixed my game crashes. Thank you for this post

#12 edy11031991

edy11031991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 01:32 PM

It's working thank you

Edited by edy11031991, March 11 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#13 ev0l

ev0l

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted April 07 2014 - 12:51 PM

this seems to have done the trick!

#14 Roth_Schatten

Roth_Schatten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 05:50 AM

Switched to 3GB (WinXP), now it gives me "Ran out of memory" error on launch. I could play all maps except LAST ECO without that switch, now I can't play the game at all. This isn't really what I expected.

#15 chucknorris_92

chucknorris_92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 29 2014 - 06:48 PM

hey guys, i have a 32 bits OS, i have 4 gb of ram but my computer only reads 3,75, can i do this process to fix  thix issue_ I have been facing this issue for the last 21 days, i used to play hawken on high settings properly with no crashes,, it suddenly began to run slowly, i changed the settings to low, now i'm having this issue, i love this game buy i haven't play it for 1 21 days because of this issue

#16 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted May 31 2014 - 06:41 AM

This tip in original post did not work for me. I did try it out.

What did work for me was enabling the Pysical Address Extension Mode. This allows for more Ram to be recognized. The File I used was called "PatchPAE2_(for_windows_7_32-bit_automated_batch_file)". Then I'm not sure, but after this I did something called a Kernel patch that would unlock the ram distribution, so that the OS would only take 1 Gig of that ram instead of the default 2 Gig. I forgot what I used to do this though, I tried to google it but it seems to not know what I'm talking about lol, or maybe was something to do with BIOS_ IDK TBH. Then not forgetting, I then increased the virtual memory page to the same amount as the total of my RAM or higher ie 6 gig, to help it out with harder tasks. These 3 has significantly reduced my crashes.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Lightangel112, June 08 2014 - 03:22 PM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#17 Ade_the_Rare

Ade_the_Rare

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted June 08 2014 - 10:43 AM

View PostRoth_Schatten, on May 22 2014 - 05:50 AM, said:

Switched to 3GB (WinXP), now it gives me "Ran out of memory" error on launch. I could play all maps except LAST ECO without that switch, now I can't play the game at all. This isn't really what I expected.

This happened to me too. The game just doesn't load if I enable 3GB. My desktop has 8GB RAM, so I don't even know why it was an issue in the first place :(

I figured it may be due to *something* to do with me running XP as I've encountered issues with newer games (especially from Steam) where I've had to use a hex editor to mess around with various executables...

I'll just have to carry on putting up with the obligatory "Out of memory!" crash/reload cycle

Posted Image

#18 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted June 08 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostAde_the_Rare, on June 08 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

View PostRoth_Schatten, on May 22 2014 - 05:50 AM, said:

This happened to me too. The game just doesn't load if I enable 3GB. My desktop has 8GB RAM, so I don't even know why it was an issue in the first place :(

I figured it may be due to *something* to do with me running XP as I've encountered issues with newer games (especially from Steam) where I've had to use a hex editor to mess around with various executables...

I'll just have to carry on putting up with the obligatory "Out of memory!" crash/reload cycle
A 32bit OS will give you max 4 gig ram afaik. Why you installed 8 gig without using a 64bit OS is strange. Try using the PAE patch, see if that helps.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#19 MarcoMech

MarcoMech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 12:45 AM

Nope, still not working for me.

I have started my game searsch for a match.

After I have been Deployed in Last Eco I could see my selection of mechs, but then when I wanted to move my courser to click launch, it Crashed! Ran Out of Memory_!
I dont know what happend but it just did, even after i have followed your steps.

System Specs:
Windows: Windows 7 Professional
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz
Installed Memory(RAM): 6.00 GB (30.7 usable (I know, its below 4.0 Gb but it says 6 Gb on the other so I dont know what to believe)
System Type: 32-bit Operating System

#20 AtaR1

AtaR1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted July 05 2014 - 02:53 AM

It works!
Thank you very much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users