HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Cockpit hosting streaming of hawken's very first tournament! Begins at noon PST today!

Announcement Community Event News

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#141 WarPig

WarPig

Mech Assimilations

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationOneida, NY

Posted December 30 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostZanderWild, on December 30 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

The stream was great. You guys had limited time and resources to work with and you pulled it off quite well. I even followed the cockpits twitch after seeing the quality of commentary you guys have. Can't wait for the next show.

Thanks a lot appreciated sirs!!
Posted Image

#142 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted December 30 2012 - 11:17 PM

I'm just glad I got first blood and thus a mention in the match versus Iron Lung. :P

I wasn't too happy with my performance that match, and it's part of why I'd switched my mech in the SK match. But well, compared to how I did in the two SK rounds, and even the third place round... yeah.

Definitely will hope the devs will support more hardcore clan tournaments as well as regular old PUG tournaments.

Edited by DarkPulse, December 30 2012 - 11:17 PM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#143 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 30 2012 - 11:24 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on December 30 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

I'm just glad I got first blood and thus a mention in the match versus Iron Lung. :P

I wasn't too happy with my performance that match, and it's part of why I'd switched my mech in the SK match. But well, compared to how I did in the two SK rounds, and even the third place round... yeah.

Definitely will hope the devs will support more hardcore clan tournaments as well as regular old PUG tournaments.
Yeah. If a "Open to all" sort of tourny happens again, we're definately going to have to make sure the match ups aren't random (technically it was Alphabetical, but constant drops and subs made it wonky, and balance-wise it's about as good as random...) and teams are set up against people of the same general skill/organizational level.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#144 ApoC_101

ApoC_101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 31 2012 - 12:21 AM

well, an "open to all" tourney shouldn't actually exist... it's unfair to let novice and ameteur level teams play against pick ups and rookies. that's just the nature of tournament play... there should always be divisions to keep the skill levels at a fairly competitive level. In the case of the event we just had, not so much applicable as it was as much a try-out of the format and everything as it was an "appetizer" for us competitive players and clans, with no requirements for experience level. I definitely think the next events we do should be clearly focused towards either (both) rookie and PuG level, and a novice/ameteur division, respectively. Top teams shouldn't be playing against rookie teams ever, except maybe as a brutal way to practice :)
Posted Image

#145 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted December 31 2012 - 12:44 AM

View PostApoC_101, on December 31 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

Top teams shouldn't be playing against rookie teams ever, except maybe as a brutal way to practice :)

But how would you know if your team is "top" or "rookie" if you don't compete in a tournament_

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#146 ZanderWild

ZanderWild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationMason City, Iowa

Posted December 31 2012 - 01:08 AM

Another thing that needs to be available for private servers- the option to turn the after the match team mixing off. It would make best of three matches much smoother I think.
Posted Image

#147 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted December 31 2012 - 01:09 AM

View PostSylhiri, on December 31 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

View PostApoC_101, on December 31 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

Top teams shouldn't be playing against rookie teams ever, except maybe as a brutal way to practice :)

But how would you know if your team is "top" or "rookie" if you don't compete in a tournament_

Exactly, that was one of my goals when i first set up the tournament. To not make any presumptions about skill level and see where everyone was at so in the future we could have divisions etc, that would at least have some meaning because we could point to the first tournament results. Unfortunately, because of dropouts were still in the dark on quite a few clans.
Posted Image

#148 ZanderWild

ZanderWild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationMason City, Iowa

Posted December 31 2012 - 01:15 AM

I have heard there are stats kept that devs have access to and will be view-able to everyone at some point later on that might also help with the match ups. It could be no use at all as well. A team full of top 5 players could play as a group and do poorly, and a group of players that are unranked could play very well. Other than a few more pretty much random match up tournaments I really don't know of  way to fairly match teams up.
Posted Image

#149 WarPig

WarPig

Mech Assimilations

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationOneida, NY

Posted December 31 2012 - 02:29 AM

we use to have a screening ladder 2 matches per team before placing them in a ladder which most games still do.. I would highly suggest this for future, but also keep in mind it's a tourny with a prize. I don't agree with separating ppl out and not to mention how do you expect to learn or gain the experience/knowledge without sometimes losing or being in a hard matchup .. cannot pamper players all the time! just my opinion.
Posted Image

#150 Necodreus

Necodreus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSeattlle

Posted December 31 2012 - 09:48 AM

Great feeds, comments and all around good job for all the parties involved in this.  Was able to hammer out a lot of bugs and get feed back for future tweaks, can't wait to see more.  It was awesome seeing the battles at the middle.  Can't wait for more :D

#151 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted December 31 2012 - 01:15 PM

thanks man. onward and upward

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#152 ApoC_101

ApoC_101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 31 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostSylhiri, on December 31 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

basically, if you haven't competed in a tournament before you are a rookie team. once you've got some proper tournament time under your belt you should be competing at a novice level.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Community, Event, News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users