HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Free Mech Vs Pay Mech

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Free Mech vs Pay Mech (286 member(s) have cast votes)

Should a Free Mech be as good as a Pay Mech

1. No (21 votes [6.38%])

Percentage of vote: 6.38%

2. Yes (236 votes [71.73%])

Percentage of vote: 71.73%

3. Should be limited in it's progression after a certian LVL (12 votes [3.65%])

Percentage of vote: 3.65%

4. Should be only allowed half the optimization points a Pay Mech is allowed (7 votes [2.13%])

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

5. Should be allowed full Optimization but be 2% - 5% weaker then a Pay Mech (10 votes [3.04%])

Percentage of vote: 3.04%

6. Should have have all the optimization points a Pay mech has, but not custimization . (43 votes [13.07%])

Percentage of vote: 13.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:48 PM

I don't think most people will enjoy a game in which only paying members get the best stuff and do better than nearly everyone else. As it is, paying only helps you get mechs and parts faster than grinding it out for free, plus all the unimportant aesthetic changes. Personally I don't care about those kinds of things. I'd much rather be able to sit on equal footing with anybody and let skills decide the difference rather than to be left at a constant disadvantage simply because I don't want to spend money.

Edited by nokari, January 14 2013 - 03:49 PM.

Posted Image

#22 CaptainCiboulette

CaptainCiboulette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationIn the Great Sailing

Posted January 14 2013 - 03:53 PM

They should be equal...

There was a game that I once played, where pay mechs are 150% better than free mechs, and guess what, they were like Lu Bu ripping anything apart at their sight.. it felt like every one of us were Zakus and we pray for our gundam allies to succeed.

But Pay Mechs should have prestigious styling options comapred to free mechs... that my opinion

Edited by CaptainCiboulette, January 14 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#23 Azrael39

Azrael39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 08:44 AM

No, they should all be equal.  The way it is set up right now is brilliant.  We can grind for the same gear through time and effort.  And that gear we grinded by  playing Hawken is the equivalent of anything you can buy.  Your bonus is you save the time investment but lose out in real cash.  People are greedy, lazy, and want things now, now, now, these people will pay.  But many others will grind and pay to customize visually what their Mech looks like which is what I do.  The system is fine, your idea would create an imbalance.  The more balance a game has the more consumers it will attract.
Sharpshooter lvl 25, Berserker lvl 25, Scout lvl 25, Bruiser lvl 25, CRT lvl 25, Brawler lvl 25, Infiltrator lvl 25, Reaper lvl 25, Rocketeer lvl 25, Raider lvl 25, Technician lvl 25, Grenadier lvl 25, Assault lvl 25

Good luck and have fun see you on the Battlefields!

#24 Bulldog187th

Bulldog187th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon ,USA

Posted January 25 2013 - 09:45 AM

It should be equal like most are saying.
I understand what he is saying by being a paid supporter.
You have it on track now in game. The custom paint and body styles should be a bonus if you pay for them

.You could take it one more step and go with the garage space. Pay 5.00 for 4 more storage spaces to park your Mec. So you can hold more Mecs. So up front when you first start playing you can only have 3 Mecs  unless you buy more storage.

Basically your paying for the cosmedic upgrades.

#25 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted January 25 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostBulldog187th, on January 25 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

You could take it one more step and go with the garage space. Pay 5.00 for 4 more storage spaces to park your Mec. So you can hold more Mecs. So up front when you first start playing you can only have 3 Mecs  unless you buy more storage.

That's not paying for cosmetic upgrades, that's limiting play. That's just as bad as paying to win, because you'll be stuck with only 3 options while a bunch of other people could switch to any mechs they want and outdo you if they pick better ones. You'd also never be able to try out or buy new mechs, which are supposed to come out once every month.

Posted Image

#26 Bulldog187th

Bulldog187th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 10:03 AM

View Postnokari, on January 25 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

You could take it one more step and go with the garage space. Pay 5.00 for 4 more storage spaces to park your Mec. So you can hold more Mecs. So up front when you first start playing you can only have 3 Mecs  unless you buy more storage.

That's not paying for cosmetic upgrades, that's limiting play. That's just as bad as paying to win, because you'll be stuck with only 3 options while a bunch of other people could switch to any mechs they want and outdo you if they pick better ones. You'd also never be able to try out or buy new mechs, which are supposed to come out once every month.

Um , I see your point. Will taken. BAD idea. :(

#27 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted January 25 2013 - 10:08 AM

You don't pay real cash for better performance in battle, you pay for don't have the hard task of earning the conventional points in battles.
I personnaly think paying for a mech is even worst, since you lose the experience of inoumerous matches.

#28 Bulldog187th

Bulldog187th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 10:19 AM

I understand the paying your way for better mec is a bad thing. It un balances things. Thats why I hated wow donators.

, But I'm just trying to come up with more ways to bring money in and those that do donate can have something in return.

Yes there are people like me that will donate to help keep the server and development coming. I for one don't care to receive anything for donating. But there are those that do.

But I did come up with one until you knock me back into reality again lol .
The mec name, you get to change it one time. After that if you want to change it they can charge a fee like 5.00 for 8 times to change your name.

Just something.

#29 FRX23

FRX23

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted January 25 2013 - 11:54 AM

The actual system :  Pay for cosmetic and Pay to be powerleveled (which is not a problem cause level =/= skill) is fine to me.

I just wish more cosmetic options to invest and support that already good game.

#30 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted January 25 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostFRX23, on January 25 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

The actual system :  Pay for cosmetic and Pay to be powerleveled (which is not a problem cause level =/= skill) is fine to me.

I just wish more cosmetic options to invest and support that already good game.
They're trying to release mechs monthly, and they've got a year's worth lined up. With new mechs comes new bodies, and potentially new internals, items and weapons

Edited by ArnieF4440, January 25 2013 - 04:46 PM.

Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#31 AirmanSean

AirmanSean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 04:53 PM

View Post[HWK]Deuy, on January 06 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

LTPug-  It's not a stupid question at all, it's just one that people are going to have very strong opinions about :)

We chose to make the starter mech a very good mech for a couple reasons.  One was to dispel thoughts of Pay2Win (if the mech everyone starts with can go toe to toe with any paid mech, then it's hard to complain that the game gives advantages for paying).  

The most important reason however, is to give newbies a fighting shot in their first games.  That's why the internal items have no negative effects.  New players will already have a rough time VS experienced players because of the skill curve of the game.  If the starter mech was also weaker in terms of stats, then they would just get slaughtered and not have fun.  Hopefully even if newbies have a hard time at the start, they won't perceive the game as unfai​r since the mech they have is potentially as good as anything else available.

The downside to the first mech is that it's kind of boring.  Paying gets you variety and style, and mechs with different strengths and playstyles.
Fred for life.

#32 Hekatonkheires

Hekatonkheires

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 09:00 AM

I can actually undesrtand the logic of a limited P2W implementation.

This comic explains it well:
http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/778

However, I keep thinking that is better that every single element affecting the game  will continue being "grindable"

Even the smallest concession to the P2W brings too much bad feeling to the community.

Better not take that way if we don't want to see 50€ mechs (like on World of tanks).

Just keep the pay options for the grind and the aesthetic mods, and everyone will be happier.

If there are funding problems, just release some aesthetic mods inspired on the japanese manga and you will sell them like cookies. Or wathever, just be creative.

#33 headtrip

headtrip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted February 03 2013 - 01:53 AM

As somebody who has happily forked over $100+ to the cause, I will say that I'm extremely adamant that those who haven't donate should not be penalized what-so-ever in a tactical advantage vs. someone who has Meteor Credits to throw around.  Fairness needs to be encouraged, regardless of level of support.

I am rather pleased that there are exclusive cosmetic options for your mech if you have the meteor credits (gogo pink checkers), as it does signify you as a supporter of the project.  But I feel that should be it - Purely cosmetic.

#34 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted February 03 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostLTPug, on January 03 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

The reason I ask is those of us whom invest in the game should feel we are paying for certian aspects of the game that are only allowed to paying customers. I am not very good at putting it right so I am not trying to be disrespectful, I hope I am understood at what I am trying to say. PLease forgive me if I am sounding like an ass. But when I pay for a product I want the feel that I am geting a lot more then a consumer that is playing for free than a different looking Mech.

Cheers

LTPug ( Tin Man )

My stance on free-to-play games is simple, "as long as players (without a job/serious job) can earn the same equipment you do, you can pay for it."  Never let the "free-to-play" become imbalanced because the really good items in the game morph it into a "pay-to-win" game.

"Free-to-play," with "pay-to-clear-the-EXP-gap-so-I-can-have-fun" is what this game is now.  "Free-to-play" given the best chance to grow.
We just wish the HC prices were reduced, or that we gained more HC. (can't complain that much 'bout it)
I just wish they'd give us a plain customizable paint for the mecha's body that we could earn through HC and buy with MC.
I would buy this game if it came out in a box, and I would even donate if I could, but...

Edited by Frouste, February 03 2013 - 01:35 PM.

"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#35 Pirits

Pirits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama (USA)

Posted February 03 2013 - 01:53 PM

*Looks at poll*
*Clicks*
*Reads main post*
*Clicks 'Yes'*
*Hits vote*
*Sees results*

DEAR GOD PEOPLE LIKE A FAIR GAME!

Who would have thought_ Cause 13 year-olds can totally buy mechs like candy and older people with jobs don't have bills they already have to worry about. Lets make this game stressful for all those few who can't spend money on a beta game, it's not like a 25 mech already owns the field, now it's twice as powerful as nubcake Joe's level 25 mech of the same type with the internals and such, cause he can't optimize it to run as much, or take as much damage, or even deal as much damage, or worse yet can't pick a new weapon or something.

I know how paying for a game you want to feel like "Yeah I paid, I can chew these nubs up twice as fast as before." But it's still a beta, you can get that double XP or HC, and I have to say, running into a 24 reaper not 24 hours after it was released worried me, I know that seeing a twenty-some-odd mech strikes fear into those who value the objective of the game. "This little guy can do so much more damage to me, or live longer than I can, or run up on me beat the snap out of me leave me half dead and run off like some demonic spirit seeking revenge.

I know what paying for a mech can do, I've been hawkens-ripper'd by it. and it* still looked like a black and yellow beserker...

(EDIT)

It's the reason I have a 12 reaper, cause money doesn't change much of the game, just time invested.
The reason I play the game is cause I don't have to pay to be equal with those who do (but it helps out a bit)

Edited by Pirits, February 03 2013 - 01:57 PM.

"What am I doing on top of this Sentium owned spire at a place we call Origin_ Hard-core parkour_ NO, I'm being a derpy chimera. OH! I can see my house from here."
​On a separate note - "Cover me, I'm commentating."
Spoiler

#36 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted February 04 2013 - 01:08 AM

It should be equal like most are saying.
IYou could take it one more step and go with the garage space. Pay 5.00 for 4 more storage spaces to park your Mec. So you can hold more Mecs. So up front when you first start playing you can only have 3 Mecs  unless you buy more storage.
Really, because there is no way to sell or otherwise get rid of mechs (aside from filing a support ticket to have someone manually go rip it out, and usually that's only if there's a glitch like you have 16 Freds or a stuck trial mech), you could argue that the cost to purchase a garage storage upgrade is already built into the cost of the mech from the shop, since you have absolutely no other control over your garage "slots".

So, until you can get rid of mechs, and only if they actually wanted to force you to have to buy extra slots, there's no point in doing this.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#37 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted February 04 2013 - 01:16 AM

View PostPirits, on February 03 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

*Looks at poll*
*Clicks*
*Reads main post*
*Clicks 'Yes'*
*Hits vote*
*Sees results*

DEAR GOD PEOPLE LIKE A FAIR GAME!
The devs and a very large portion of the core playerbase (which is primarily the Alpha and Closed Beta tester group) are adamantly against P2W. The ones that aren't... generally keep their opinions to themselves since they know they're not going to find a particularly receptive audience most of the time. (Not that there's any deliberate policy to censor opposing viewpoints...they just rarely make it very far because going P2W is evil.)

And the core playerbase is the group that's the most passionate about Hawken, next to Adhesive/Meteor themselves.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#38 Morphman

Morphman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 07:05 AM

Oh, if only there was a way for people to pay for a cooler looking mech, with more cosmetic changes that F2P players can't do_
Wait... There is... There's a whole tab dedicated to this, with future features promised in the garage.

Why would anyone wanna play F2P if they were put at a mechanical disadvantage_ That is what ruins so many other games that went F2P. For a fair, balanced game, the only paid-only options should be purely cosmetic. The devs gets their money anyway, because so many likes to customize their appearance and those who want to P2W can buy mechs and items instead of grind for them, giving them instantly as good gear as they can get.
Posted Image

#39 nullface

nullface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 08:46 AM

Why is this thread still alive_

Posted Image
3570K @ 4.5GHz - P8Z77-I DLX/WD - 8GB HyperX LoVo 1866MHz - HD7950 - 840 PRO 256GB
Fred | Vulcan-Berserker | Slug-Reaper
SweetFX

#40 Kinzuko

Kinzuko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 10:07 PM

ever play apb reloaded_

in that game most people have payed weapons... how can you tell_
no recoil
no spred
supper zoom
redonculas fire rate
and enough damage to make a grown man cry

what do you get as a free to play... an assault rifle with mediocre stats and a pistol that is supper inaccurate unless you use it point blank
oh hold on you can also get:
temporary guns that are left over from when the game was p2p and balanced
a couple of basic cars that are way over priced
a very low kda
little fun

giving power to people that pay is a stupid idea and can easily be abused
i give apb as an example because i played it the most and found that it was the worst offender of p2w
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users