HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Rev-GL, low-skill spam weapon_

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Rev-GL, low-skill spam weapon_ (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the Rev-GL a low-skill spam weapon_

1. Yes (23 votes [60.53%])

Percentage of vote: 60.53%

2. No (15 votes [39.47%])

Percentage of vote: 39.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CaptainCiboulette

CaptainCiboulette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationIn the Great Sailing

Posted January 20 2013 - 02:47 AM

Well i took a search, and I dont see any threads about this.... :/

So it comes to a close, everyone says that Grenadier is OP... This there this there...

Through analysis, it is often said the Rev-GL is an OP weapon, way OP than EMP...

Well do you think so_

What should be mended then_

#2 -Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 03:04 AM

I think the OP nature of it comes from the stunlock problem, which is a broken mechanic that's supposedly getting a fix in the upcoming patch. As a weapon itself I don't find it very OP, and there have been players I've played with saying they hate using it because it's difficult to aim. However, I've faced off against pilots who know how the weapon works, and they use it quite well, even without taking the stunlock into consideration. In the right hands it can be a pain in the arse to fight against, but the same can be said about any of the mechs, imo. ^_^

Edit: The above said, I do admit it can be spammy... dunno about the low-skill part, though. Seems like spam-kills mostly only work on novice players. I have to work to kill the more experienced players using a Grenadier.

Edited by -Tj-, January 20 2013 - 03:08 AM.

#3 Umbre

Umbre

Cat/Xeno Hybrid

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Canada

Posted January 20 2013 - 03:08 AM

You don't think 23 seconds of fire before overheating is a bit ridiculous_ When you get the hang of leading your shots, the Grenadier obliterates everything. It can take a Brawler on in CQC and win most of the time!

#4 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted January 20 2013 - 03:12 AM

Normally arc-ing weapons come with an inherent skill curve when it comes to aiming. But with the rate of fire that comes with the Rev-GL, it's bloody easy to just keep firing and adjusting until your shots land where you want them to.

For what I think is the Grenadier's intended role - area denial, indirect fire support, long ranged artillery. It's bloody easy to use the Rev-GL. There's not much penalty for missing with the thing, you can fire it like forever.

So yes, it is a low skill spam weapon. Just like the CBE Seeker. But low skill spam weapons don't have to be unbalanced or OP. In this case, well - I haven't used or fought Grenadiers in a while so I shall refrain from commenting on its OPness beyond being able to fire a weapon for 23 seconds straight is pretty darn silly.

#5 CaptainCiboulette

CaptainCiboulette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationIn the Great Sailing

Posted January 20 2013 - 03:27 AM

Hmm, so adding up heat is the solution_

If you ask me, The REV-GL is the only weapon that fits the Grenadier.

Its not agile enough to survive long to carry a full charged Heat Cannon nor the Prestige Weapon Point -D Vulcan is way too silly...

Compared to the Vanguard with a balanced Machine C/ GL loadout, the Grenadier cannot be possibly altered since it will really lose its worth.

So in the upcoming update patch, you think the Rev-GL will be fairer_

Edited by CaptainCiboulette, January 20 2013 - 03:28 AM.

#6 -Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 04:23 AM

View PostUmbre, on January 20 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

You don't think 23 seconds of fire before overheating is a bit ridiculous_ When you get the hang of leading your shots, the Grenadier obliterates everything. It can take a Brawler on in CQC and win most of the time!
Not really... but maybe it's because I'm not the greatest with it. :P I'm usually using it while firing the grenade launcher and heat seems to build with the RevGL faster than with weapons I do more damage with, like the heat cannon or AR.

However, I do think it depends on the target as well. Things may change when the stunlock is fixed, but the slower Class Cs definitely don't do well against a Grenadier out in the open. It definitely feels OP when every grenade hit stops them in their tracks. But against a well-practiced Class A or B dodging all over the place, I feel like I may as well be throwing stones sometimes.

#7 x1aa

x1aa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 04:32 AM

Don't try to hide from a grenadier
Face him upfront and wreak havoc!
"Your attack has been rendered harmless. It is, however, quite pretty."
—Saprazzan vizier

#8 x1aa

x1aa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 04:39 AM

Sorry for double post

Edited by x1aa, January 20 2013 - 12:19 PM.

"Your attack has been rendered harmless. It is, however, quite pretty."
—Saprazzan vizier

#9 WhiteCr0w

WhiteCr0w

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGloucester, MA

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'm kind of torn with it. Just like any other weapon or mech, the difference between someone mediocre and quite proficient with it is very large. The GL though is very forgiving and friendly to beginners more so than almost any other weapon I think. Anyone can spam a choke point or lob grenades into a group of enemies for 20+ seconds, but how many can lead and land those direct hits in a smaller encounter_

I think the problem with the GL stems from the people who can do both. If you're against a lower skilled player in the game who can only spam, but can be shut down easily he's only a minor nuisance. If you're against a seasoned vet who can lock down areas and fend off attackers, or even hunt down people solo while being able to do that you have something pretty damn OP.

Posted Image

Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win.

#10 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted January 23 2013 - 12:49 PM

Yeah, rev-gl may be a little OP. Altough I don't know why you guys think that the emp is OP...I never got killed in his fault, just got seriously damaged. When you're hit by it, turn around, look for cover, allies or run like there is no tomorrow. Easy.

#11 OsirisVDC

OsirisVDC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted January 23 2013 - 12:53 PM

Maybe I just haven't faced a truly skilled Grenadier but I just don't get rolled by the Rev-GL much.  I choose not to stand toe to toe against one.  With mobility, precise shooting, and a little teamwork you can reduce a Grenadier to scrap.

Edited by OsirisVDC, January 23 2013 - 02:44 PM.

- Osiris

#12 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted January 23 2013 - 12:59 PM

No, no guys. The revgl is a highly skilled competitive level suppression fire weapon! Didn't you get the memo!_! Never mind the fact it essentially locks enemy mechs in place while your entire team focuses fire on their stun locked unable-to-dodge asses. Never mind its rate of fire is so fast you can easily adjust your spray-and-pray until your randomly bouncing projectiles actually decide to connect! Never mind it rewards guesswork and discourages accurate aim because you can carpet bomb an area and still get kills! Revgl is credit to team! Learn to suppress or gtfo!

I really must learn to type with a straight face.

Edited by Conquistador, January 23 2013 - 01:03 PM.

Posted Image

#13 urinnerchild87

urinnerchild87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostConquistador, on January 23 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

No, no guys. The revgl is a highly skilled competitive level suppression fire weapon! Didn't you get the memo!_! Never mind the fact it essentially locks enemy mechs in place while your entire team focuses fire on their stun locked unable-to-dodge asses.

This is irrelevant due to the patch tomorrow where they are fixing the explosive stun-lock.

Seriously I can count the number of times i've been killed by a grenadier on one hand, so I don't see the hate this weapon gets.

#14 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 02:56 PM

View Posturinnerchild87, on January 23 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Seriously I can count the number of times i've been killed by a grenadier on one hand, so I don't see the hate this weapon gets.

I can count the number of times a Scout killed me with one hand too :o

I think it's more of the "Spam bouncing explosives for 20 seconds of area denial", but that's just me.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#15 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted January 23 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostOsirisVDC, on January 23 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

Maybe I just haven't faced a truly skilled Grenadier but I just don't get rolled by the Rev-GL much.  I choose not to stand toe to toe against one.  With mobility, precise shooting, and a little teamwork you can reduce a Grenadier to scrap.
I'm just like you. Never stand alone against an enemy.

#16 Lillia

Lillia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostGree, on January 23 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

View PostOsirisVDC, on January 23 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

I'm just like you. Never stand alone against an enemy.

Same as you two. Though if I do have to face one alone, I just try to close the distance as fast as possible while still keeping my movement hard to predict. Grenadiers have never really given me an issue. Though I haven't played that Missile Assault game mode yet, which is one of the places I've heard the Rev-GL really gets irritating. Siege doesn't seem to make out the Grenadier to be a huge game breaker.

I think it does its role perfectly fine. The knockback patch will probably improve the situation with "stunlocks" too.

#17 R33F3R

R33F3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted January 23 2013 - 09:30 PM

EOC is OP if you hit every round
Heat Cannon is OP if you hit every round
Hellfire missiles are OP if you hit every missile
TOWs are OP if you hit every round

In my experience people always find something to call OP

I voted no btw, im guessing over 50% of the people who voted yes have never used it...

Edited by R33F3R, January 23 2013 - 09:31 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Kamile

Kamile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationGreen Noa I

Posted January 23 2013 - 10:52 PM

Any weapon that someone has the experience using is going to be strong. Flaw in strategy if you are trying to push a grenadier. Adjust to the situation. Try hovering from a distance with an ally nearby(obviously have an ally nearby)

Posted Image

#19 Restowned

Restowned

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 12:02 AM

If the user in the grenadier is good at leading his shots, the weapon is absolutely devastating. If the pilot is an amateur that is using it, then the weapon isn't that OP. Sure, he can lock down a single corridor while spamming it. But, once the stunlock is taken out, the novices that spam it will not get nearly as many kills imo. The GOOD pilots using it though... they will still get tons of kills simply due to the damage it does compared to the low amount of heat it generates. Also, there are still tons of newer players that are easy pickins even for the novices that use this weapon.

With that being said, I bought the mech and find it to be pretty hard to aim with while out in the open from a personal standpoint. I think this is mainly due to the fact that semi-automatic weapons simply aren't my strong point in shooters unless I practice with that semi-auto weapon ALOT. There is nothing like it in the game atm. After the patch, I won't consider the people that use mech and do great with it to be "noobs" since I myself find it a bit difficult to get the lead times down with it.

#20 Lillia

Lillia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted January 24 2013 - 01:56 AM

View PostR33F3R, on January 23 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

EOC is OP if you hit every round
Heat Cannon is OP if you hit every round
Hellfire missiles are OP if you hit every missile
TOWs are OP if you hit every round

In my experience people always find something to call OP

I voted no btw, im guessing over 50% of the people who voted yes have never used it...

Generally, the easiest explanation for the population's opinion would be:

Posted Image

Shamelessly ripped from and cropped from a nerfnow.com comic page.

As a bonus... It's all a matter of perspective.

Edited by Lillia, January 24 2013 - 02:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users