HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New to Hawkin: What First_

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SpyderPB6

SpyderPB6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:50 PM

Hey everyone,

I am new to hawkin, been playing MWO online and loving it. I know this is more fast paced but figured its worth a try. What are some good pointers to take care of before jumping into a game_

Thanks,
Mike.

#2 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted January 22 2013 - 05:39 PM

Welcome to the game. I'd recommend checking out the Hawken Tips and Tricks thread (link in siggy) and looking around the forums for tips on how to play, tactics, etc. BTW, Check out the useful threads section of the tips and tricks thread, it'll send you to some good reads, promo codes, and stuff. Other than that, do a bit of youtubing, couple of good players are AsianJoyKiller, h0b0, etc_

There's also quite a few, "new to the game" threads on the forums

Edited by ArnieF4440, January 22 2013 - 05:40 PM.

Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#3 R33F3R

R33F3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostSpyderPB6, on January 22 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

Hey everyone,

I am new to hawkin, been playing MWO online and loving it. I know this is more fast paced but figured its worth a try. What are some good pointers to take care of before jumping into a game_

Thanks,
Mike.

Never take your fingers off of the shift button, learn your new hotkeys (review or change them in the settings menu), play deathmatch (being alone will make you much better), also throw away that MWO fuzzy bunny. If you want to senselessly click areas on your monitor you can always open up google maps street view and explore the world. Also leaving before the match is over guarantees that you dont get ANY rewards for the time you spent in match. I think its so funny when I play against people and they play almost a full 15 minutes with me only to get angry they lost and leave before the match finishes. I laugh everytime, because thats what seperates them from me. Basic understanding.
Posted Image

#4 LulluLea

LulluLea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:54 PM

Hi Mike,
welcome to Hawken!

Idea: Kill on sight!
Posted Image

www.dirtnapgaming.com

#5 Lillia

Lillia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted January 22 2013 - 07:07 PM

Hey, welcome to the club.

Learn to keep moving and try to approach from unexpected angles. Also, know to work with team mates in TDM's by applying shields, providing covering fire and focusing on enemies and weakest denominators, and make use of "interrupting" fights in DM's, there is no shame in "stealing" kills in a deathmatch :P. Don't be a whiny ass and don't ragequit, and don't underestimate the power of those Metal Boxes you start with, those TOW missiles are godlike.

Oh, and don't buy the Assault mech.

This may only apply to my tastes, but I put my activate special on my mouse's back button, rather than the middle mouse button, that way I can keep clicking primary fire.

#6 skywarp00

skywarp00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCybertron

Posted January 22 2013 - 07:38 PM

im new here too, im bit daunted and puzzled with how the damage system works....eg is there weak spots_ less damage when shooting at greater range_

Posted Image

HAWKEN ID: SKYWARP00

STEAM: http://steamcommunity.com/id/skywarp00

#7 Lillia

Lillia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted January 22 2013 - 07:40 PM

There are no weak spots as far as I can tell. But I believe there is a slight damage falloff for some weaponry.

#8 WhiteCr0w

WhiteCr0w

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGloucester, MA

Posted January 22 2013 - 09:09 PM

View Postskywarp00, on January 22 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

im new here too, im bit daunted and puzzled with how the damage system works....eg is there weak spots_ less damage when shooting at greater range_

The only "weak spot" per se is when a C-Class mech (The heavy ones) are in their turret mode, in which they will receive more damage from the rear only because their frontal armor is increased.

Posted Image

Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win.

#9 Coldbound

Coldbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationWinland

Posted January 23 2013 - 12:45 AM

Don't buy rocketeer even though it looks cool and sounds good on paper :)
Posted Image

#10 Lillia

Lillia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted January 23 2013 - 03:43 AM

Instead, buy a Grenadier.

Or just stick with CR-T and have the most versatile Metal Box ever created.

#11 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 24 2013 - 08:13 AM

Welcome aboard, pilot! :D

Have fun and see ya on the battlefield! ;)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users